Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone owns one of these or has seen one in use. The temperature here in Kansas City has been crazy here lately and I have to adjust my mbc almost daily.

From what it sounds like you can plug in a wideband o2 (I just got my innovate lm-1) and display your AFR on the i-colors lcd as well as record the run.

It also has the blitz power meter incorporated into the device, so you can get estimated dyno levels of hp and tq (not sure how accurate but would be cool to see if modifications or tuning brings up the numbers any)

I've always used mbc's but am thinking of getting in a ebc, from what I'm reading it also keeps the wastegate completely shut until just before desired boost level is attained, I'm wondering though since the stock evo turbo spikes if that would be a good thing. All feedback is welcome.

(I'm aware of the cockpit adjustable mbc but am not really interested).

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
I've only found one reveiw here;
http://www.dsmreviews.com/dsmreviews.php3?category=11003
Spikes in boost are due to the controller used (MBC's). What you've read is true about the electric ones staying closed till desired boost. Once it's obtained, thr solinoid is tripped and the wastegate opens. In a MBC the ball and spring moves slower and in that 1 second or so is where boost spikes occur. If you switch to an electric you should see that spike go away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well if you have around 8 or 900 dollars to spend on one then cool, but you could spend that on tons of other things, just my .02

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
sleeper2g said:
Well if you have around 8 or 900 dollars to spend on one then cool, but you could spend that on tons of other things, just my .02
He might, but let's not speculate and stay on topic.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've found them for as low as $700 shipped from vendor websites, and cheaper on ebay but I like having customer service in case I need it.

I have almost all of the buschur stage 1-4 parts (1,2 installed with walbro) and need only a intercooler upgrade before I send my ecu back in to get flashed. I don't intend on upgrading the turbo because I love the stock responsiveness, but may get a buschur 20g after I hear more feedback on it.

As it stands with just the stage one and two parts+ a walbro I went from 208awhp on a mustang awd dyno up to 272hp and 263 ftpds of tq on a 91 oct reflash.

Initially I had problems at the shop who set the boost too high, it spiked at 24psi and tapered to 21psi, only made 257hp and 259 ft pds tq. After some complaining to the shop and conversing with warrtalon for direction I set the boost myself to spike at 21 and taper to 19.5psi, and got a comped dyno for free). The car is plenty fast for me at this time as I'm not much of a drag racer, just into high performance.

I'm just trying to dial everything in right now and the sbc i-color isn't much more than the hks evc and has a lot more features. I'm hoping it will help me keep a more consistent boost level as looking at the dyno graph with the smoothing factor set to 99 the boost level looked very irratic.

I am a beginner with tuning and just purchased a datalogger with palm and a innovate lm-1 wideband, and thought with the additional features of the sbc i-color it might help me to see more of whats going on and help me catch on faster.

From what I've read you can set the boost up initially and then never mess with it again with a ebc, unless you want to for race gas, etc.

Are there any cons besides the price of EBC's?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't know about the blitz SBC but I ran a power enterprise EBC, loved it for a while then it didn't work. I did see boost spike with it. I switched to a Hallman Pro and NO boost spike period. Granted I do have to get out and adjust the boost. But thats a small price to pay when I know my boost will be solid. Also I have seen people who ran their MBC's into the car.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard you lose transiet response when you route a underhood mbc into the cabin due to the longer path of the boost lines.

I'm not going to name which mbc I have but I'm not real happy with it, there is no calibration of boost (like on my dsm I had a turboxs where one full turn= 1psi) you just kinda get what you ge with this one. 1/8 of a turn can yield 24 psi and when you turn I turn it down just a tad I get 15 psi (all in low rpm 3rd gear pulls). It's taken me 4 days to get it right at the 21psi spike down to 20 and with the weather I'm sure I'll have to mess with it again tommorow.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
superflyjmysnk said:
I'm not going to name which mbc I have but I'm not real happy with it, there is no calibration of boost (like on my dsm I had a turboxs where one full turn= 1psi) you just kinda get what you ge with this one. 1/8 of a turn can yield 24 psi and when you turn I turn it down just a tad I get 15 psi.
:laugh:
Don't be affraid to say you have a Dejon Tool MBC. I have one too.
Seriously though, don't censor yourself about a product if it's not working for you. We need to share with each other our experiences and what does and doesn't work. It's not working for you, so that's why your looking at EBC's. :thumb:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually I have th BR mbc, however I think part of the inconsistent boost was on my part as I was adjusting the boost and then tightening the locking nut, although I held the adjustment part stationary while tightening it was given me problems.

I tightened the locking nut and after checking the boost adjusted the knob and it seems to be working now, it still spikes up to 21psi but is at 19-20psi at redline.

I'm still thinking of getting the sbc i-color just for future ease and the other features.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts