Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My freind who owns a ix had a problem with boost. After installing a boost gauge he noticed that the max he got was 0.8bar. First thing that came to mind was a boost leak so he went and traced the airflow and made sure everything was nice and tight. Still 0.8 bar.
He removed the stock exhaust and put in a turbo back and he peaked 1+ bar which is what it should be. The cat was blocking the airflow. (he assumed it was a faulty one)
Mine seems to be encountering the same problem.. could this be? My turbo used to whistle and had more power...now it simply doesent and i have a lack of power.
Ive come to the conclusion the my cat is blocked aswell.

What are the odds of 2 cats being faulty? or is my reasoning absurd

Is anyone running a stock cat on their ix or has it been changed out with an aftermarket one earlier on and not given it the chance to clog up.

How much hp will i gain by just adding a tb? Does the ecu need to be tuned right after?

Cheers guys/girls

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Hmm, it's not likely that his cat was a problem. It's natural that a stock exhaust will restrict airflow MORE than a full TBE. It's also natural to see an immediate increase in boost when reducing backpressure by installing an exhaust. The main problems here are that you:

1) Didn't realize that .8bar is base wastegate pressure, which means the stock boost system is NOT working properly, and

2) 1+ bar is NOT stock level boost. You should be seeing 1.4bar when the car is 100% stock and even higher if you install a TBE (unless the ECU compensates by lowering boost when detecting the additional airflow). Now, by 1+, did you mean 1.05 or 1.5? If it's seeing 1.4-1.5bar, then that is very weird, because removing the exhaust shouldn't cause the boost to double.

So, the question here is have you added ANY MODS to your IX yet? If so, have you ever touched, removed, or changed your stock boost hoses in any way whatsoever? Let me know, so I can further diagnose, but 99 times out of 100, when someone says they're seeing .8bar (or 11-12psi), it's due to messing up the stock boost system by using something other than the OEM boost lines (these must be used).

To reiterate, I cannot think of one time in almost 2 years of owning my Evo where I've read of someone claiming they had a clogged cat. Some cats have failed and fallen apart, but they don't just randomly clog on a new Evo...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing i have done was install the ssqv just for a test and i put my original dv back in, Original hoses and everything. I quickly double checked my hoses after i read ur post all is back to stock.

He claims he drove to to Abu dhabi and back a 4 hour (total) drive quite fast and then the problem occured. whilst inspecting the cat he noticed it had fallen apart inside. Some how they rigged up the cat to a blower and noticed it was blocked.
All he told me was that the boost level went back to normal??!! so i assume 1+ bar hence 1.4

In my case it could just be that im getting used to the car and its no longer feeling so powerful to me.
There is a solution to the problem ( mod the car:sneaky: )

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just went for a spin around the block to see if it runs better in the cool of the night and had a rolling start from 3rd with an 06 sti i pulled about half a car length. I suppose the car is running fine. Ill get a gauge intalled and post my results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts