Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few days ago I Installed SS Exhaust Manifold, Ported TD05 turbo, 02housing, walbro 255 fuel pump, and ecu flash. The car ran strong and fine for few days on 92oct 22psi. Now I just went for a little spin, when I switch to 3rd gear I saw alot of white smoke on the back, I imedetly turn off the engine and stop the car. Then I check the engine, nothing was wrong, but after I open oil cup I saw smoke coming out from there... :cry: Did I blow the gasket or something??? I need your guys help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
how does the oil on the dip stick look? brown sloppy looking?
do you get lots of whiteish clouds of smoke only when trying to boost?
the flash was done by whom? done for the mods you have?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nothere said:
how does the oil on the dip stick look? brown sloppy looking?
do you get lots of whiteish clouds of smoke only when trying to boost?
the flash was done by whom? done for the mods you have?
The ecu was dynoflash profesionaly, and done for the mods i have. The blue/white smoke from exhause raise when the car slows down. And I will go check it out how stick looks, I get back to you on that...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I check it out the stick, and it looks very dark brown like in any other cars I looked! But its 1/4inch over the level, could that be a problem?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nothere said:
so it blows oil on decell? you let off the gas and get the smoke?
Yes, something like that.
Now when I start the car, I let it run for a while, and everything was fine(no white smoke). But after about 5 minutes the exhuast starts to give me white smoke more and more, so I then turn off the engine. ???Weird???

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
05evo said:
Yes, something like that.
Now when I start the car, I let it run for a while, and everything was fine(no white smoke). But after about 5 minutes the exhuast starts to give me white smoke more and more, so I then turn off the engine. ???Weird???
And when I open oil cup I saw little smoke coming out from there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Usually, white smoke means blown head gasket (coolant getting into the cylinders), but I thought it would blow white smoke all the time, and not start after 5 minutes of running. I know on DSM's if you open the radiator cap while the car is running, and NOT HOT, the coolant will be bubbling if the head gasket is blown, but, I'm not 100% shure.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
emd645e3 said:
Usually, white smoke means blown head gasket (coolant getting into the cylinders), but I thought it would blow white smoke all the time, and not start after 5 minutes of running. I know on DSM's if you open the radiator cap while the car is running, and NOT HOT, the coolant will be bubbling if the head gasket is blown, but, I'm not 100% shure.
Any other suggestions would be helpfull!

·
Registered
107 Posts
If its white smoke its most likely the head gasket. Sometimes it takes a few minutes of running for the motor to heat up and wherever the leak is at, the gasket shifts just right to start leaking. You probably have a small leak from the head gasket. Good news than is that you can get away with just replacing the gasket and not needing any machine work, but double check it all with a straight edge.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nothere said:
the head gasket is likely it. my question is why?
Well, its probably when they dynoflash my ECU they forgot to set redline to 7,000rpm. But instead they did 9,000rpm, So when I lunch I missed 3rd gear and it went up to 8,000. So when I look back I saw cloud of white smoke.:(

And now I dont know if I want it keep it, probably will send them back ECU and let them do it right to 7,000rpm, so the next time I dont blown anything!!!
Ok, Is it hard to get to head gasket? How can I do it right not to mess timing belt?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, the entire head will have to be removed, along with the timing belt (obviously). The only way to not mess up the timing is to have it done right.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
emd645e3 said:
Well, the entire head will have to be removed, along with the timing belt (obviously). The only way to not mess up the timing is to have it done right.
Ok, WTF WTF Thank you for your comment. OBVIOUSLY!!!

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
05evo said:
Well, its probably when they dynoflash my ECU they forgot to set redline to 7,000rpm. But instead they did 9,000rpm, So when I lunch I missed 3rd gear and it went up to 8,000. So when I look back I saw cloud of white smoke.:(

And now I dont know if I want it keep it, probably will send them back ECU and let them do it right to 7,000rpm, so the next time I dont blown anything!!!
Stock rev limit is 7,600 RPM and the car can handle 8000 with no issues from the head. Pretty sure that did not cause your problem, and I would NOT set the rev limiter to 7000 RPM when the stock rev limiter is 7,600 RPM.

Keith

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fourdoor said:
Stock rev limit is 7,600 RPM and the car can handle 8000 with no issues from the head. Pretty sure that did not cause your problem, and I would NOT set the rev limiter to 7000 RPM when the stock rev limiter is 7,600 RPM.

Keith
Well, it was mistake!!! It was blown turbo, I spike 24psi:poorme:
I learn by my mistakes:nono:
Anyway... What do you guys think I should get, a rebuild kit for $75 or 20g(TD06) for $300+? What would be better for the mods I have?

·
Registered
70 Posts
are you saying your turbo is shot? based on boosting at 24, that is not what caused the problem. many boost over 24 psi on the stock turbo without a problem.

the fact that the turbo is blowing smoke means you did considerable damage to the turbo.
Mine is just now being reinstalled from blowing smoke. In looking for the problem FP found that something, a nut or some such ran through the exhaust side, screwing up the blades. That in turn threw it out of balance enough to ruin the seal and thus poor oil into the exhaust.
iow, a 75 dollar rebuild is not likely to fix it. you may find a used turbo relatively cheap.

who did the install the last time? If in fact it is the turbo that is causing the smoke, something was done wrong in the install.

btw, how much smoke was coming out of the oil filler hole? just a bit of fog like vapor? that tiny bit of "smoke" would be normal.

have you checked the turbo yet, how do you know that was the problem?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nothere said:
are you saying your turbo is shot? based on boosting at 24, that is not what caused the problem. many boost over 24 psi on the stock turbo without a problem.

the fact that the turbo is blowing smoke means you did considerable damage to the turbo.
Mine is just now being reinstalled from blowing smoke. In looking for the problem FP found that something, a nut or some such ran through the exhaust side, screwing up the blades. That in turn threw it out of balance enough to ruin the seal and thus poor oil into the exhaust.
iow, a 75 dollar rebuild is not likely to fix it. you may find a used turbo relatively cheap.

who did the install the last time? If in fact it is the turbo that is causing the smoke, something was done wrong in the install.

btw, how much smoke was coming out of the oil filler hole? just a bit of fog like vapor? that tiny bit of "smoke" would be normal.

have you checked the turbo yet, how do you know that was the problem?
Man, You trying to explain like I know nothing about turbo engines. Iam probably the younges evo owner on this web(iam 19), but I used to have dsm talon tsi, and I take the engine apart like 3 times or more and fixed the problems a had... So when I checked the td05hr turbo, the wheel was moving unnormaly. Then I open the turbo, and compressor ring was blown, so the antifreezer went into exhuast! So then I went to sleep:boring: ...
Anyway running 24psi with td05 is too much, We should not go over 22psi :pity: ...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts