Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, so i just got an evo and am wondering how the clutch is doing, i have never driven an evo other than this one so i just don't know how exactly they should react

my friend has an sti, and basically that thing pulls and pulls right until redline

the evo pulls a lot from 3k-4k rpm, after that it just goes fast, now i know that that is where the turbo spools so that would make sense but after 4k rpm there seems to be no power increases and actually once you get up close to redline it is almost as if the power seems to decrease

i do understand that that has to do with the power curve and what not, but just comparing it to my friends sti it seems totally different, I would say just as fast but different...

so i was wondering if this is the way it is supposed to be...or??
i don't know, i am new to this car and fast cars in general

·
Registered
64 Posts
yeah actually I bought an 03 evo almost a year ago and resently got it tuned and a week after my clutch went out completely. I always thought my clutch was going out but kept avoiding because its expensive to change them, now my car is going to the shop ime geting a performance clutch and flywheel. The power you are feeling is from when the turbo spools up but most likely the clutch is no holding the power at peak boost and torque that is how my clutch started out it felt slower and slower until it would not grab at all. Your car runs good other than it feels slow right? It could be a slight boost leak but not likely I think it probably is your clutch. About the sti yeah the sti feels a whole lot different it feels like power hits faster than a evo and also feels faster because it has shorter gear ratios but you should be faster with a fiew mods than him because evo perform beter to mods. I am telling you this from experience because a friend of mine has an sti.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also there are many facters how many miles were on the evo, the owner before you could have been racing or pushing the car so yeah your clutch will go out they usually do.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Can't really tell if you the clutch is bad or not based off what you said. YOu just gave some vague references of fast and not fast. Could you actually explain in detail what is happening and why you asked about your clutch?

If the clutch was slipping, then right when your boost builds (3500-3800rpm), the clutch would slip, the rpms would jump up, the car would stop accelerating, then a few hundred rpm later, the clutch would catch, the rpms would drop back to normal, then you'd accelerate again.

If you're just saying that the boost hits really hard (torque), then as the rpms rise, it pulls nice but falls off, th en well...that's 100% normal. The boost tapers down, especially in stock form. What you feel is the initial torque spike, then we build power to 6500 or so, and after that, it drops off considerably.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah that is what it is doing it seems (what warrtalon said)
i was just making sure because it still had dealer warranty and if it has a bad clutch then i would like to get that taken care of

but its got like 45k miles on it, i got it for real cheap....but now what i want to know is if its the original clutch, a replacement, or a heavier duty clutch...any way of telling? from what i am reading it seems like there is a very small chance that it is the stock clutch

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Warranty doesn't cover a clutch, because it's a wear item. Very unlikely it has the original clutch at 45k miles, but it could still have a stock clutch as a replacement. No real way to know if it's upgraded or not without comparing with another stock clutch'd Evo.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
chriseacrett said:
... the evo pulls a lot from 3k-4k rpm, after that it just goes fast...
If your clutch was bad, you wouldn't even be pulling in that RPM range. The RPM's would just shoot up as you lay on the throttle and you wouldn't go no where. Trust me I know because this happens to me and my clutch is "well done." :laugh:

chriseacrett said:
...almost as if the power seems to decrease...
Get some type of logging capabilities and check for pulled timing.

chriseacrett said:
i do understand that that has to do with the power curve and what not, but just comparing it to my friends sti it seems totally different, I would say just as fast but different...
2.5 liters vs 2.0 maybe??? I've never been in an sti :(

chriseacrett said:
i don't know, i am new to this car and fast cars in general
Don't trip. We're all learning. :thumb:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, i changed my air filter today...the one that was in there was almost competely black, it dirt, bugs and grass all through it...i only replaced it with a fram paper filter, i have been tryint to get one of those k&n panel filters but i couldn't find one anywhere...would getting one of those still do me any better? just by changing the filter from what was in there to that paper filter made a huge difference

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice, that is the only place i have not tried actually

but before i do that i was wondering:
k&ns website has info about their typhoon intake kit/cone filter setup
they claim to gain ~14hp at the wheels, and even have a nice little dyno chart
now before i go spend the $70 on the k&n panel filter, would it make more sense and spend that extra and get the cone filter? does it breath any better than the stock setup with a k&n panel filter? from what i have read here on the forums i would say no...but i haven't seen anything specifically referring to the typhoon (not that it really matters)

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
The general concensus is that a full intake isn't required untill you upgrade the turbo. The stock intake is not that bad. I went from a stock filter to a K&N and I had to add fuel in the lower RPM's, so for me it flows more. The stock ECU should be able to handle it, just make sure to reset it after it's installed so the ECU can make the adjustments.
A lot of people have had problems with the K&N Typhon. If you have some type of fuel control then it should work. It's your call.
As far as dyno #'s on an intake, I suspect they are misleading. Of course they are going to make more power. On the dyno the hood could be up and exposing that open filter to cool fresh air, but who drives around with the hood up. Close it, trap in that hot engine bay air and see what happens to the power. That is why the stock intake isn't that bad. The inlet is large and sourced in the high pressured front. I've logged 15* higher inlet temps running an open filter vs. the stock with a K&N. :(
If you want the sound or going to upgrade the turbo, then chip in for the intake. If your looking to make good power from the stock turbo try a panel filter and the stock box.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Unfortunately, that bogus dyno chart on the K&N website has suckered many, MANY Evo owners into buying that horrid, unbelievably awful intake. On most cars, you can trust K&N, but on the Evo, the Typhoon is the absolute WORST possible intake to purchase.

Stick with stock or a panel filter. If you get a panel filter, be sure it's not over-oiled, because the oil will drip down and coat the MAF.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts