Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting some cams in the next couple of months for my car. My question is, Do I need to get cam gears even though I'm going to get tuned for them? I will be using ecuflash or I will get another dynoflash from al. Why would I need to get cam gears if i can change the timing via the ECU? I really don't want to spend the money on parts I'm not going to use. Any input is greatly appriciated.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Cam gears are for changing the timing of valve actuation..... unless you have an EVO IX it can only be adjusted with cam gears.

You are thinking of ignition timing when you are talking about ECU tunning.

Keith

PS: Nobody I know of has done extensive testing with cam gears to see what effect they have at various settings.... so most tunners don't do anything with them even if you have them on your car.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
SicLanEvo said:
Do I need to get cam gears even though I'm going to get tuned for them?
:confused:
If your getting tuned for them you should have them, and if you have them degreed, then do the right way; on a dyno. You need a way to see the powerband and see the changes advancing and retarding a few degrees makes. Tune the car first and then adjust cam timing to where you want the power to be.
This might help;
http://www.starracing.com/Cam Lobe Center Explained.htm

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is why I asked, i want to do it the right way. I just don't want to waste money on a mod that isn't really helping. So i will be getting cams and cam gears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts