Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i put on the apex-i power filter today , and wow this thing is loud , you can hear the turbo spool up and factory bovalot now. For some reason though the car seems slower , i dont know if im use to the car or what . My 05 evo is stock except for a hallman mbc and my new intake thanks evotuners for your thoughts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yep, you probably lost 7-10 WHP if that is your only mod. The ECU sees the extra air and cuts the boost. You will need atleast a MBC and a proper tune to take advantage of the air flow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My boost is set at 21 psi and then tapers down to 19 or so by redline , out here in nevada we use 91 oct so is this a good setting , also would i be better off just to save for the aem ems, or just get the afc for now?

·
Registered
13 Posts
umiami80 said:
Yep, you probably lost 7-10 WHP if that is your only mod. The ECU sees the extra air and cuts the boost. You will need atleast a MBC and a proper tune to take advantage of the air flow.
thaigurlygirl did say that she has a MBC so I would assume that the boost is not being cut unless the MBC has been incorrectly installed. However, whenever you make even these simple mods you need to compensate for them with at the ECU to see your power gains. I'm going to put my SAFC in when I install my dejon pipes. Also, the boost tapper is normal see this post. This is just my humble opinion, hope it helps!. p.s. I love it when chicks modify thier cars!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are making mods to your car, you have to tell the ECU what you are doing. The lower price is the AFC's that can control air flow but, If you can afford it, give the Xede from Vishnu a try. You can download maps from their website for the mods you have. I haven't found many EVO's as fast as mine here in the Pittsburgh area with just the mods I have...which is just a 3 inch exhaust from the downpipe down...and the Xede chip...

I am running 12.8's at 107mph at the track....

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
turbolarry said:
Reset your ECU and see if that helps.
Where is your boost set at?
Please explain how to reset the ECU, I know that you can do it on hondas, I used to do it to mine to correct the fuel map once i completed a mod, it worked amazing and helped me get more MPG. if there is a way to do it on a evo please inform me or point me to the right thread.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
SicLanEvo said:
Please explain how to reset the ECU, I know that you can do it on hondas, I used to do it to mine to correct the fuel map once i completed a mod, it worked amazing and helped me get more MPG. if there is a way to do it on a evo please inform me or point me to the right thread.

:eek: All I do is disconnect the battery for a while.

·
Registered
9 Posts
went back

mine seemed sluggish, and didn't like high rev. through multi misfire codes. i put my stock box back, no codes, and the car went faster in the quarter. ROFL jac

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
jacdariper said:
mine seemed sluggish, and didn't like high rev. through multi misfire codes. i put my stock box back, no codes, and the car went faster in the quarter. ROFL jac
What intake were you using? I have just a filter kit and a dejontool intake pipe on the way and i haven't had any problems or performance loss.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think if you can afford it.. the AEM EMS is one of the best stand alone you can get. I know quite a few Evos running it and even a couple running 340WHP and 570WHP respectively. Great system but it does require a great tuner to really get the most out of the AEM.

If you are interested in a a reflash rather than an EMS...I would highly suggest that you get most of the mods you are planning to get before getting the reflash. Or you could always get a custom Dynoflash or something and take advantage of the free mail-in reflashes whenever you upgrade mods and such.

btw... the car will feel slower with the intake because you lose a bit of your torque cause you are getting more flow in the system, less "rubberband" effect. Tuning will help with that. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
We do both ECU reflashes and SAFC tuning. Either can help your situation. You are running rich.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Will an intake really make that big of a difference? My car's only performance mod is an AEM intake (already installed when bought, i would do exhuast first). How much of a difference? Enough to buy a factory box? The main cars I encounter are Mustangs, Camaros, and ricersROFL ... the occasional Corvette or Porsche Boxster... would an intake be enough to make or break a race with any of these??

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Ah man, you don't have the factory airbox? Damn, they really bent you over when you bought that Evo. I'm not going to answer that unwise question at the end, but having an intake as your only mod is awful. It throws off the MAF readings and screws up the tune. I would normally say to just re-install your stock airbox, but if it didn't even come with it when you bought it, that just chaps my hide.

Try to find one for very, very cheap. If you weren't in Dothan and lived in a place with other Evos, you could probably get one from a local guy for next to nothing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well if the other guy didn't have the air box then I can see why they didnt give me one. I traded my Mustang that had an intake and didn't give them the factory one... But then I take it that buyin a factory airbox is worth the $$$? And as far as the unwise question, there is a drag strip just outside of town. In case you thought I meant on the street

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
You said "the main cars I encounter..." I don't "encounter" cars at the drag strip, and you didn't mention drag racing, so it leads one to believe...

Anyway, the alternative to buying a stock airbox is to just get tuned. You can get a $199 mail-in Dynoflash to make the intake work fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In risk of being off-topic in this thread: How would I reflash my ECU? Wouldn't I need software? And if I don't do it soon will it screw up my car? I mean my car is a blast to drive now and I don't do a lot of racing so I may just wait. I am trying to get the $$ for the Buschur stage one which I believe has a flash included.

Oh and sorry if I was misleading about the racing thing, I guess it did have an illegal sound to it

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
It gets done by a flash tuner. Notice I said a mail-in Dynoflash. That means you mail your ECU to Dynoflash who flashes it, then sends it back. All Buschur packages include a Dynoflash, which is the same thing. You get your mods, install them, then send the ECU to get flashed.

You likely won't screw up your car from continuing to drive with the intake, but it sure does affect drivability and performance. I guess you wouldn't know any better, though, since it's been like that from day one.

·
Banned
5 Posts
I have never had any luck running cai's. Oregon is a pretty tought place to have one. The MAF housing screws up everything. The dealers have a easy cop out when they see them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
all i have is a K&N panel filter on mine and it works great. as far as tuning goes, i do like my xede and its not that tough to tune on your own better than the AFC in so many ways. and it heped my car out a lot especially after the 3'' exhaust. evos feel so slow here in reno and this helped it out a lot.:dsm:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts