Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, I have an 06 evo ix Buschur Racing Ed. 350. Here are the mods that came with the car...
BR 2.5" Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel Downpipe
BR 3" Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel Catback Exhaust
BR Air Filter Kit
Oil Pan Heat Shield
BR Polished Exhaust Manifold Heatshield
BR Spark Plug Cover
BR 2.5" Upper Intercooler Pipe w/ stock BOV
BR Mini Battery Kit
Ported Exhaust Manifold
Ported Turbine Housing
Ported 02 Housing

...the car ran perfect. Then, needed more power and started modding for eventually big turbo. I had one of the local mitsu techs install BR Short ram intake, BR 3in ss downpipe, BR 3in test pipe with cel fix, oil catch can, BR Front and rear motor mounts, BR short throw shifter, BR shifter bushings, greddy shift knob, walbro 255 fuel pump, aem wideband, autometer boost gauge, and Forge mbc. Once we installed it all, the "Service Engine Light" came on. Checked it with an Actron OBD II pocketscan and threw two codes. One I know "PO420" Catalyst efficiency below threshold (bank 1) is because of the test pipe install even though I installed the cel fix. But the other one was "PO171" System too lean (bank 1). So I was very concerned. Ran the car and ran fine and the wideband showed 14.5-15.2 at idle cuz I know its looking for 14.7 in the open loop system. Once I put it in third gear and pull to redline it goes rich like mid 10's to 11.6 at most. So I erased the codes once I got home and have been driving the car now for about 2 weeks and only the first code shows up now. The "PO420". So anyone know what happened here or should I be worried. Getting a tune and flash soon with other mods once I get up to Buschur....

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
As you said you're rich under high load/WOT, so the lean condition was probably at part throttle and idle due to the BR intake. The ECU has probably compensated for it by now too. Get a hold of a logger and see where the fuel trims are at. As long as they are not way off (+15%), I wouldn't be worried.

·
Registered
441 Posts
As you said you're rich under high load/WOT, so the lean condition was probably at part throttle and idle due to the BR intake. The ECU has probably compensated for it by now too. Get a hold of a logger and see where the fuel trims are at. As long as they are not way off (+15%), I wouldn't be worried.
I completely forgot to address that specific code.. Anyhow, you're right on the money. However I suspect over time the trims will drift more than what's comfortable and this problem will reappear. Best bet is to have a tune done for the specific mods you've now got on the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oK, thanks for the info. Need to get a data logger bad. Any advice on a good one for the price? But mid may Ill be up to Buschur to get cams, valve springs, retainers, intercooler exedy clutch kit, and few other goodies (maybe big turbo). So ill be tuned then for everything at once. Ill keep this updated if anything else should appear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, your tactix cable, you have a link to purchase that, and do you have to purchase software seperate or can it all be done w/ that cable. Also, what type of port do you have to have on the laptop, serial, usb?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
You buy it at Tactrix.com - that's why it's called the Tactrix cable. The software is EvoScan and must be purchased separately for about $30. The cable is USB, so that's what you need on the laptop.

Read my EcuFlash tutorial in the tuning forum to get an idea on this stuff, but remember that the tutorial is for EcuFlash rather than EvoScan. Regardless, they use the same cable and are great resources.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet. Will have to read up on that for sure. Thanks Warr for the info. And everyone else on this topic! Happy Easter by the way fellas!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts