Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how would i/could i tell if my cat was clogged?

i am not sure if it is related but:
i sometimes have good power, after driving fast for a while my car has almost no power (it feels like my old eclipse gs)
when i first start my car up within the first ten minutes or so of driving it has very little power, the only time i would say that it is fast is after driving not to hard while it is about 40 degrees outside and raining....i have yet to get a boost gauge, but i will be getting one soon to see how boost looks

also only about 30% of the time there is power past 5000rpm, usually there is a slight power drop after 5k, SOMETIME though it pulls hard right to 7k

but im wondering if this could be the works of a clogged catlytic converter?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Unless you have been running leaded race fuel your cat is fine.

The symptoms you put in your post sound like the stock intake snorkle (the part that goes from the airbox forward to just under the hood and over the grill) is not fastened down. If it is not fastened down properly it sucks up against the under side of the hood blocking airflow into your air box and giveing a huge drop in power.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Highly doubtful it's a clogged cat. If you really want to check it out, pull it off, and hold it up to a light. You should be able to see though the ceramic honeycombs.
Get that boost gauge in and see what it's doing. Barrow one if you have to.
Bad gas???
Any mods to the car (update profile)?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Getting a boost gauge is probably the wisest thing to do.
I was only boosting .8 Bar until i removed my cat (faulty from factory) and it boosted @ stock levels. If you get a batch of bad fuel...unrefined properly that is, your cat could have gotten clogged to some degree...

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you are using the stock bcs you won't get full boost until the car fully warms up. When my evo was stock it the boost stopped at about .6 bar until it was at normal operating temps, then it gave the 1.4bar spike-taper1.3ish.

A manual boost controller will bypass that but its probably a good idea to let the car fully warm up before you throw 20 psi at it.

That would explain the lack of power before it warms up.

The losing power after its been driven for awhile could be alot of things. The most simple might be bad gas, which will cause the ecu to pull timing and therefore yield less power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts