Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh well, I knew the ACT single disk was on its way out, but I was hoping I'd at least sneak in some drag runs before it gave out on me. I suppose the 2 straight days of romping on it at PMI wore it out finally, because ever since then, it's been slipping in high gears and peak torque. As of today, he started slipping all the way down in 3rd gear at the moment I hit boost, not just when I hit a full 26psi, so it's definitely on a downhill slope. I'm going to have to take it easy until the Exedy Twin HD shows up, which means no drag racing this Saturday and no autocrossing on Sunday. No big deal, though, because I plan to be locked and loaded for the first OFFICIAL SCCA auto-x on Sunday, April 16th.

Now, hopefully I can get Exedy to send me a clutch quickly - the Twin HD would be nice, but oooh, a Twin Carbon would be even nicer. :sneaky:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Warrtalon said:
Oh well, I knew the ACT single disk was on its way out, but I was hoping I'd at least sneak in some drag runs before it gave out on me. I suppose the 2 straight days of romping on it at PMI wore it out finally, because ever since then, it's been slipping in high gears and peak torque. As of today, he started slipping all the way down in 3rd gear at the moment I hit boost, not just when I hit a full 26psi, so it's definitely on a downhill slope. I'm going to have to take it easy until the Exedy Twin HD shows up, which means no drag racing this Saturday and no autocrossing on Sunday. No big deal, though, because I plan to be locked and loaded for the first OFFICIAL SCCA auto-x on Sunday, April 16th.

Now, hopefully I can get Exedy to send me a clutch quickly - the Twin HD would be nice, but oooh, a Twin Carbon would be even nicer. :sneaky:
That sucks bro I hope you get your clutch soon. I was thinking of getting that act clutch. Is it worth it? I don't feel like paying 400 bucks on a clutch that would not last me a year :(. I would like that exedy clutch but man they are expensive and I wonder how long they last.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sairaag said:
That sucks bro I hope you get your clutch soon. I was thinking of getting that act clutch. Is it worth it? I don't feel like paying 400 bucks on a clutch that would not last me a year :(. I would like that exedy clutch but man they are expensive and I wonder how long they last.
The clutch life is entirely dependent upon your driving, not the cost nor the quality of the clutch. I know a guy who has a long commute everyday in his Evo who went 95k miles on his STOCK CLUTCH. He never raced his Evo and spent the majority of the time cruising at 70mph to/from work.

My ACT lasted 9500 miles and just under a year, but that's entirely my fault. It withstood:

- 100+ drag launches, 90% of which were 12.3 or better drag runs, no worse than 1.77 60', and a best of 1.66 60'
- 50+ auto-x runs (most started with drag launches)
- 250 minutes of road racing

·
Registered
36 Posts
Warrtalon said:
The clutch life is entirely dependent upon your driving, not the cost nor the quality of the clutch. I know a guy who has a long commute everyday in his Evo who went 95k miles on his STOCK CLUTCH. He never raced his Evo and spent the majority of the time cruising at 70mph to/from work.

My ACT lasted 9500 miles and just under a year, but that's entirely my fault. It withstood:

- 100+ drag launches, 90% of which were 12.3 or better drag runs, no worse than 1.77 60', and a best of 1.66 60'
- 50+ auto-x runs (most started with drag launches)
- 250 minutes of road racing
Wow you put your evo to work. I havn't done any hard launches I take care of my evo but i do drive fast and take my turns tight. I only plan to do a few drags during the summer to see how fast the car is. But I do plan to do auto x runs when I get my coil overs.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sairaag said:
Wow you put your evo to work. I havn't done any hard launches I take care of my evo but i do drive fast and take my turns tight. I only plan to do a few drags during the summer to see how fast the car is. But I do plan to do auto x runs when I get my coil overs.
I would highly recommend autocrossing BEFORE coilovers. I have 0 suspension mods and still kill people. The reason why I haven't upgraded is because the stock suspension is incredible, and I have not yet learned to maximize it. Driving fast and taking turns tight on the street is absolutely nothing, believe me. Until you get out and really use the car, you won't have a clue how to drive the car. Auto-x is a great way to get introduced to the Evo's true abilities, but until you hit a road course, you will never quite know!:thumb:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Warrtalon said:
I would highly recommend autocrossing BEFORE coilovers. I have 0 suspension mods and still kill people. The reason why I haven't upgraded is because the stock suspension is incredible, and I have not yet learned to maximize it. Driving fast and taking turns tight on the street is absolutely nothing, believe me. Until you get out and really use the car, you won't have a clue how to drive the car. Auto-x is a great way to get introduced to the Evo's true abilities, but until you hit a road course, you will never quite know!:thumb:
hm I will try that. Do you know how I can search local areas for auto x? Also I have a helmet but do I need anyting else in special? 4 point seat belt harness or anything else?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sairaag said:
hm I will try that. Do you know how I can search local areas for auto x? Also I have a helmet but do I need anyting else in special? 4 point seat belt harness or anything else?
No, just bring your car, yourself, and your helmet.

To find local autocrosses, just search around. I'm sure there is an SCCA regional group where you are, but there are probably also smaller, local clubs that do their own autocrosses if you want to get acquainted with a less rigid program. That's what I did when I started last year - I started with a smaller group called the Capital Driving Club. Only 80-85 cars, which meant we got 6 runs minimum each time, whereas at SCCA events you usually only get 3-4 runs.

Search around local auto enthusiast message boards in your area, then when you find stuff, hang on to the info, because when Ludachris makes the New England regional forum, he will add all that info for everyone in your area to see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Damn Warr.....

I am all set with my stocker still.....342whp (corrected) so "320whp" with the stocker for 14000 miles, on my 03.

I am POSITIVE I will need a clutch in the next 5k using my Dynoflash LC...I am even going to drag race this year.....I never thought I would say that!

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Ah hell. Does that mean you're not going out this weekend at all Clay? I'm planning on running my car still, if I can get around to changing my brake pads :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts