Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, as I was taking a left at a major intersection, a SUV ran a red light right into my path. I swerved to avoid a head-on collision, rammed a utility pole and totaled the RS. There was nowhere else to turn, except into other cars. This is my first accident in more than 15 years and I'm completely devastated. I feel like I lost a loved one.

Once the insurance appraiser assesses the car today, I'll be buying another. This brings me to my dilemma. I'm 80% sure that I'd like another RS, as I love its personality, but I feel like it wouldn't be fair if I didn't at least consider another trim level. So, my choices are the RS and a GSR SE. I want the aluminum body panels and the 5-speed, which rules out the MR. I have some Bilsteins on the way and they'll be installed in the car I choose.

As you may gather, I'm very shaken by the experience and the loss, but I've been trying to consider the options as rationally as I can. I realize that my state of mind isn't exactly clear, which is why I posted in hopes of getting some feedback from other enthusiasts.

Compared to the RS, the SE would offer me some comfort options, ABS, and the BBS wheels. I love the wheels, but the comfort features really don't do much for me. I mean, they're nice, but not necessary. Oddly enough, I actually prefer having window cranks. Having ABS isn't really needed, either. I know I'm talking myself out of the SE, but maybe there's something I'm not considering? What do you guys think?

A big part of me says that I should go for the SE, if only to cover all the bases. I'd have to have the wing removed and the holes patched by a body shop, but that's not really a big deal.

I'd appreciate reading your thoughts.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Addendum:

The SE also comes with HIDs and fogs, which I'd like to have. My only complaint with the RS revolved around its low beams. At my age, I need all the help I can get when it comes to nighttime vision.

So, how about it, guys? Is there a SE advantage that I'm overlooking?

I hate to sound like a weenie, but is it silly of me to contemplate foregoing the HIDs/fogs and the BBS wheels for a $3K less costly RS? Am I just not seeing the long run picture, given that I never plan to sell the car?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Do whatever makes you happiest. I race the crap out of my car, but I still prefer having the MR due to the extras. You don't want the 6spd, which is fine, but can't you get an SE that has all the MR stuff but with a 5spd? I would think that would be the best of all worlds.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I used to have an 03 that came with everything other than leather (power everything, sunroof, HID's) and now have the 05 RS. I prefer the RS hands down over the more "luxury" oriented 03. I dislike ABS, and HID's get the highbeem flash from a lot of on-comming drivers. Only thing I missed was the radio, and less than $100 got me all the stock speakers and head unit from a regular EVO owner who had upgraded his parts.

For me it was a choice between the RS or MR and all the extra luxury crap over ruled the upgraded suspension, wheels, and 6 speed in my book.

Everyone is different though. See if you can contact someone is your club region who will let you drive their GSR with SSL package and see how you like it compared to your old RS.

Keith

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience, Fourdoor.

I spoke with the insurance appraiser today, and he made it clear that USAA would want to fix the car and not write it off. Unless the damages equal 75% of the car's purchase price, they won't total it. This may put me in a bind.

Let me run this by you guys in hopes of receiving some feedback and advice. I'm to meet the appraiser at the salvage yard at 10AM tomorrow. He'll assess the damages and (I assume) cut me a check. Afterwards, I plan to drive right down to the Mitsu dealer and trade the car in. They have a body shop, and I'm hoping that my bargaining position will be better for it. Basically, I want to give them the damaged Evo and the insurance settlement in trade on a new IX. Does that sound reasonable? I've never done something like this, and I'm not exactly sure this is the appropriate action to take. I do know that I don't want to keep the car, and I feel that the sooner I replace it, the better. Does that make sense to those with some experience?

As for the model, I'll most likely get another RS, unless they offer me a killer deal on a SE. They have neither on the lot, so they'll have to get a car from another dealer. Really, I only want the SE for the BBS', the rear wiper, and the HIDs. That's only worth so much to me, and I'm not entirely sure that I'm willing to give up the RS' visceral personality.

Regardless, does my plan sound reasonable?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The insurance company decided to write off the car. Having talked it over with my wife, we're going to buy a SE. Even though I love the RS, I'd like to have some of what the SE offers. Thanks for the help, guys.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Are you going to purchase the wreckage from the insurance company? You can probably make a good bit of money, OR have lots of good spare parts if you get the wreckage back.

Keith

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not going to buy the wreck. I just want to put this behind me and start fresh.

I will have the wing removed, though. At least that's what I'm planning right now. Is there anything I should know or be aware of with respect to the process? Intuitively, I want to have the holes welded shut and the trunk lid repainted. Does that sound like the way to go?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
FJF said:
I'm not going to buy the wreck. I just want to put this behind me and start fresh.

I will have the wing removed, though. At least that's what I'm planning right now. Is there anything I should know or be aware of with respect to the process? Intuitively, I want to have the holes welded shut and the trunk lid repainted. Does that sound like the way to go?
Easiest is to swap trunk lids with an RS owner who wants a wing. What color SE are you getting? If your SE is going to be red or white you can do a direct swap without any re-painting concerns, but even if you are not getting red or white it is probably less expensive to get a trunk lid repainted than it would be to have the holes filled and color match painted.

Keith

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The SE is GG. I'd love to swap lids with a RS. I'm actually thinking of buying a new RS trunk lid and having it painted to match.

Felix

·
Registered
203 Posts
You could consider a carbon trunk as an alternative, sell the wing and have a fresh trunk ready to go if misfortune should smile upon you again. I don't know how you feel about the look of bare carbon fiber, personally I love it.

Jared

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A CF trunk is a definite possibility. I don't love the look, but on a GG car it won't stand-out too much. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it and coupled with the weight savings I can easily rationalize the purchase. I understand that the better CF trunks weigh ~12lbs vs ~30lbs for the stock trunk and wing. I like that!

Felix

·
Registered
173 Posts
You can paint over the carbon trunk as well. I like carbon fiber for my interior trim but i'm not big on cf hoods and trunks, sideskirts, etc unless they are color matched to the car. Just my preference.

Get some GG paint from mitsu and you'd be set.

There are also the low rise wings that where on a few evos from 03, might check that out.

If you buy back the salvage vehicle let us know, I would be interested in the turbo head and block, as well the wheels and tires if they are salvagable. Also depending on what seats the car had and the steering wheel and dash pieces.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would go and drive each of the cars individially and see how you like them personanally.

I went into buy a RS but got a MR instead after taking each car around the block.

I doesn't take much to get to the RS level from a MR when you take off the wing and trunk soundproofing....etc. Your stuck with the 6spd and bilsteins but thats not a bad thing

From the compasisons I seen and a little evo get together we had in KCMO awhile ago the RS is defininetly the fastest in straight line by a couple 10s. The MR is just behind that and the GSR with SSL is the slowest.

On the track the MR is capable of the fastest lap time believed to be due to the wing, suspension, and acceleration above 100mph( which hurt in the 1/4 since you have to shift to fifth gear at around 110mph.

The GSR is just all over pimp.

Devil is in the details.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
If you are going to purchase a new trunk lid, I agree with the CF idea. Just get the CF trunk lid and have it color matched to the car. Perhaps get one of the "duck bill" style trailing edge extensions, fully functional and not much visual distraction.

Keith

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went to the impound lot to get my personal belonging of the car. There was a wrecked WRX parked next to my RS. I was told that its driver hit a pole at ~80mph and did not survive. By the looks of it, the driver's side door crushed into his body. I just hope he didn't have a family.

As for the wing on my new SE, I'm actually having fleeting thoughts of keeping the thing. I really don't like it, but I also appreciate its place in the EVO's design. I guess I'll have the Winter to decide. If I go for a CF lid, painting it sounds like a great idea.

Felix

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had a RR RS. My new Evo is a GG SE. It's almost ironic. When I was buying the RS, I really wanted a GG car, but had to choose between red or white. Now, I wanted another RR, but had to choose between silver, gray, and black. Ultimately, though, the GG fits best with my hope not to stand out on the street.

Trunk-wise, I'm leaning most toward purchasing a RS lid and having it painted to match. That'll allow me to keep the stock lid/wing intact in case I'll ever want to use it. A CF lid would save me a few more pounds, but I'm not sure that's worth twice the cost to me.

Felix

1 - 20 of 20 Posts