Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
since im new to this scene kinda, With them flashing ur ecu and putting in diffrent settings for the mods you tell them to have, cant u have a poor tune pretty much done to ur car and not even realize ur running lean or rich than until u mess up ur car, cause there not actually there tuning ur car there just setting it to previous cars that have worked with those settings, is this 100% safe for my car? im not sure if i should trust it, u know what i mean guys

if anything turbotrix wants 500 for a flash and dyno tuning

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I suppose it's possible, but if you look at the track record, it's extremely rare. Because of the unknown factor, we always suggest getting a custom tune when possible, but mail-in flashes have been used by thousands and thousands of Evos for 3 years now, and it's still considered a very viable solution. For $199, it's a ridiculous value.

If you were really that paranoid, you could do several things to check the tune:
- Get dyno'd where they can monitor AFRs
- Install your own wideband o2 sensor to see your AFRs at all times and get a datalogger to show you timing, which will give you an indication of whether you're encountering knock or not

Remember that although a mail-in flash is based off a tune of another car with your exact mods, it is also made more conservative than a custom tune specifically to provide that extra margin of safety for the unknown.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Warrtalon said:
I suppose it's possible, but if you look at the track record, it's extremely rare.
I normally try and stay out of the Dynoflash stuff, and maybe when something goes wrong it is rare, but why would you take a chance on being that "one guy?" The option to do it ourselves is right here;
http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
It may take a while, but to learn to tune yourself; I can't see any other option. I know I'm going to keep reading up and give it a try next year. :thumb:

Warrtalon said:
a mail-in flash is based off a tune of another car with your exact mods, it is also made more conservative than a custom tune specifically to provide that extra margin of safety for the unknown.
This is one concept I'll never grasp. When I first started getting into DSM's, it was said that no two cars are alike, even with the same mods and I believe this to be true after logging too many Eclipses and Evos. So, not only are you getting something that might be a good tune for your car, your getting further away from a good tune with the "extra margin of safety for the unknown."
I say learn for yourself. It maybe intimadating, but it can be done. It just takes some time and a willingness to learn.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Larry, you forget the inherent danger of complete noobs trying to tune themselves and risking blowing their engine from one mistake. There is no room for trial and error with a car like this, imo. It's true that the ultimate best solution is to use EcuFlash to tune yourself, but the VAST (and I mean _VAST_) majority of car owners (and Evo owners) do not want to even THINK about tuning their own car. From all the equipment you have to buy to the inherent risk of blowing your motor with one mistake, it's just not worth it when you can get it done for $199, which is 1/4 of the price of a full TBE but for the same gains.

Some will tune themselves, which is great, but most won't, so this is a cheap and easy solution.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You said you were close to AMS? To have a custom dyno tune done they charge 500.00. So you are paying an extra 300.00 for a great tune as long as thats still worth it than why not get the best. I am going to them for mine. We are lucky to have them so close most dont.

·
Banned
802 Posts
AMS will do a full custom tune for you for $395. That is of course a road tune which IMHO is better than a dyno tune as it they can adjust for real-world driving conditions. No dyno can do that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
AMS will do a full custom tune for you for $395. That is of course a road tune which IMHO is better than a dyno tune as it they can adjust for real-world driving conditions. No dyno can do that.
I emailed AMS the other day asking about getting a "street tune" and how it would vary from a dyno tune. Eric sent me an email back the next day and said they only do dyno tunes...

·
Banned
802 Posts
Hmm, well I can see a few different points on why he may have said that. Liability and safety are the first two that come to mind. Stop in one day and talk to them in person, see what they say. Eric tends to be a little short sometimes over e-mail but will talk your ear off in person.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts