Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tuned my Evo IX at Carz using ecuflash and mitsulogger.

Baseline was 270whp/266wtq
Tuned was 290whp/272wtq - while heatsoaked

The problem is, after dyno run 13, my car suddenly, out of nowhere was getting lean on the top end. On dyno run 13, I had a perfectly flat AF from 5,000-7,400 rpm. ~11.4 AF

On run 14 and every run there after, the car leaned out starting at 6,000rpm getting as lean as 12.6AF @ 7300rpm.

No matter what changes I made in ecuflash, the af up top stayed the same. I rescaled the injectors which REALLY richened everything up, EXCEPT 6,000-7,300 rpm. I went as low as 8.5 target AF in the cells it was using past 6k which still made NO difference (on run 13, target was around 10.7 which made 11.4AF)

Nothing I did mattered. I ended up pulling 4 degrees of timing up top as extra protection against knock, and gave up the fight.

If I can get back to the nice af ratio, and add that timing back in, I could be making close to 300whp

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Yes, i have a few ideas. The first is that although EcuFlash is the best thing since sliced bread for Evos, there is a LOT MORE to tuning than just changing values in the load cells. There are multiple factors that could be causing this issue, but we'd need to see the ROM, see what you're actually changing in the ROM when this happens, and see a full log (e.g. EvoScan) showing all sorts of parameters in order to provide an analysis. To help (maybe), I have a few clarification questions:

1) Were you watching the coolant temps? 14 pulls is an unbelievable number for just doing some tuning - it shouldn't take near that long, and unless you were taking a good bit of time to cool down, then it may have caused problems related to the heatsoak you mentioned, specifically within the coolant temps.

2) Were you changing cells in the high octane or low octane maps?

3) How are you certain that you were changing the right load cells? What if the load cells changed on later runs due to a boost leak or some other factor, therefore causing you to be in a lean spot on the fuel map without knowing it?

You may already have great answers to this, but I thought I'd check first to be sure...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, i have a few ideas. The first is that although EcuFlash is the best thing since sliced bread for Evos, there is a LOT MORE to tuning than just changing values in the load cells. There are multiple factors that could be causing this issue, but we'd need to see the ROM, see what you're actually changing in the ROM when this happens, and see a full log (e.g. EvoScan) showing all sorts of parameters in order to provide an analysis. To help (maybe), I have a few clarification questions:

1) Were you watching the coolant temps? 14 pulls is an unbelievable number for just doing some tuning - it shouldn't take near that long, and unless you were taking a good bit of time to cool down, then it may have caused problems related to the heatsoak you mentioned, specifically within the coolant temps.

2) Were you changing cells in the high octane or low octane maps?

3) How are you certain that you were changing the right load cells? What if the load cells changed on later runs due to a boost leak or some other factor, therefore causing you to be in a lean spot on the fuel map without knowing it?

You may already have great answers to this, but I thought I'd check first to be sure...
1) I was, but it never went over 190 if I remember correctly, I logged every run with mitsulogger. The reason there were so many pulls: First pull was my baseline, I then removed the pill near the BCS, pull 2 was with very low wastegate duty, only made 14# of boost. pull 3 was slightly upped wastegate duty, pull 4 was max duty. Then I had to start pulling timing in a few places due to the extra 3 pounds of boost. That took about 5 runs to get completely sorted, I then started tuning the AF line, which only took 3 runs. I was planning on just 3 or 4 more runs to tune mivec and maybe add a touch of timing back in. after that.

2) Both, I wanted to make sure that it wasn't switching between them.

3) I got to the point where I was so fed up I changed every load cell above 100 on both the high and low octane maps, to no avail.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Then Justin might be right. You may have overheated the fuel pump, which was causing fuel starvation. The stock pump is known for this and is why we recommend it as an upgrade before messing with boost. That's mainly on VIIIs due to the lesser flow capacity, but the other side of upgrading the fuel pump is the overheating issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It might be a good idea for me to just go get another baseline run. General consensus between here and evom seems to be that the car was just too hot. Which I know for a fact is true :p

I could always go to Mac and get 300whp the easy way :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The number isn't important anyway. It's the gains over stock that matter.
I hear that, I do think im damn close to 300whp if I go back and dyno the car again. A nice little bump over my 270 stock. Lucas' Evo 9 made 255whp while stock on his dyno, So I am definately a lot stronger than stock

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a feeling you were running into a mechanical limitation: fuel pump running out, injectors maxxed, something funny. dont forget the simple stuff first

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes it is, btw I met you at the rocky mountain evo meet, you were going to flash someones gt30 setup but your laptop battery died. Not sure if you remember me, I'm Dustin.
Yes sir! I do remember. :)

I'd strongly suggest you aquire a higher capacity fuel pump before you continue to try and tune your car. You'll thank me later. Promise!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Sanyo, did you ever figure out what happened?

I was having the same problem. I switched my fuel pump, but it didn't change anything.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Sanyo, did you ever figure out what happened?

I was having the same problem. I switched my fuel pump, but it didn't change anything.
I haven't made it back to the dyno since then unfortunately.

Probably won't be going to dyno again until I put a buschur exhaust on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts