Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an '03 evo, mods in my profile. The problem I'm having is that occasionally when I start from a stop, but don't go far (like in traffic), then push the clutch in (after hitting about 2k) the rpms will drop to about 200, and the car nearly stalls. Is there anything in particular I should look for? Sorry if this isn't very descriptive, it's hard to explain. I didn't notice this happening untill after I installed the intake and BOV, but I have only had the car about a month. It is still doing it even after the flash.

·
Registered
35 Posts
the MR bov has a tight spring rate and usually works flawlessly with most setups. i notice your setup is almost stock...that bov should work great, putting that aside, your problem probably lies within the intake. the K&N typhoon intake is probalby the worst selection as far as intakes go for the evo. i've seen many ppl post complaints about idle being affected among other things. my guess is, i bet if you threw your stock intake back on...or any other intake for that matter, your car will idle just perfect. you shouldnt be upgrading your stock intake below 360whp anyway. that intake works like a charm and makes your car happy anyway. might as well stay with it. try swapping back to stock intake and buying yourself a k&n drop-in filter or an hks drop-in. that way youre still getting the advantages of retaining the stock unit and the extra flow of a drop-in, you cant lose!

another thing that i just noticed is that you have a dynoflash tune...haha. wow, ok well there lies another possibility. a tune basically alters the information the ECU is receiving and changes many parameters and maps in hopes to "optimize" your car's efficiency given your mods. a lot of the times this doesnt end up happening.

a last thing it could be is your bov is faulty...maybe something happened to the spring or the diaphragm of the bov on the inside. even though this occurance is highly unlikely, do not completely rule this out.

good luck!

T

·
Registered
14 Posts
In my short amount of time on these forums I've noticed one constant with stall problems, Intakes/BOV's and an incorrect/lack of tune.

The K&N intake seems to be the one that causes the most problems so I would probably take that off of there and see the problem continues. If it does then try removing the BOV and try again. You could also try to get it dyno tuned to correct the problem.

I'm going to guess though that the Typhoon intake is to blame.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Come on, Closer, a flash doesn't cause this. His problems are perfectly consistent with people who install intakes and BOVs as their first mod. In this case, he's tuned for the intake, but the K&N is the ABSOLUTE WORST POSSIBLE INTAKE for the Evo. It is unbelievably awful and will always cause problems whether tuned or not. Please sell it and use your stock intake, because there's 0 reason to have it. At the very least, please remove the MAF pipe portion and re-install the stock MAF pipe while leaving the cone filter.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Take it off and look at it. There's a flap on the inside that completely throws off the MAF readings. Please don't question us on this - it is a universally known problem with that intake on the Evo, but for some reason people STILL buy it without researching. It is terrible without a tune, and still bad WITH a tune.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Easy big fella, just asking a question. As for doing research, a search of "typhoon" on this board only returns 2 threads that say anything bad about the intake, and nothing about why it is actually bad.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I looked at the pipe prior to installing it, I did infact notice a 2 inch flap in the tunnel. It seemed it must be obstructing the flow of the air. Anyway from these posts is it fair to infere that I can replace the intake pipe and continue to use the open air element?!?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
calcifer said:
Easy big fella, just asking a question. As for doing research, a search of "typhoon" on this board only returns 2 threads that say anything bad about the intake, and nothing about why it is actually bad.
I wasn't referring to EvoTuners - we are still small and growing without a ton of searchable content. I was referring to the Evo Community at large.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
mason03 said:
When I looked at the pipe prior to installing it, I did infact notice a 2 inch flap in the tunnel. It seemed it must be obstructing the flow of the air. Anyway from these posts is it fair to infere that I can replace the intake pipe and continue to use the open air element?!?
Yes, you can run the cone filter with your stock accordion MAF pipe (rubber) as long as you're tuned for the filter, which you seem to be...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the flap the major/only concern with this pipe? What if I were able to remove the flap from the pipe, instead of re-installing the previous one. Would the pipe be useful at that point?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the rubber stock pipe is more useful than a metal pipe? Seems odd. Or do you mean specifically this one? If so, what makes it "useless" if it doesnt have the flap.

As far as the "not to mess with the MAF pipe", according to some research, this sites upgrade path includes replacing this peice. As well as several others I have run across, as well as the your favorite shop. Are you suggesting simply using the stock one? Or if I could obtain a aftermarket one (like the 8 ones this site links too, including a buschur one) this would be better.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
It just doesn't do anything. First of all, the stock pipe is SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED for the proper airflow characteristics needed by the MAF. The MAF is super-sensitive, and it's best NOT to touch it. No aftermarket pipe is able to 100% mimic the design of the accordion-like stock pipe. What do you think the aftermarket pipe does for you? Do you think it adds power?

You don't need a hard pipe like that until you get a really big turbo that outflows the stock piece, and that's preferable with a standalone ECU that replaces the MAF altogether.

Many people suggest it based on how we did it with DSMs, where it was more useful. Most of us in the Evo community do not recommend it, though. I do not agree with it being included in our mod guide here, and I don't agree with it for Buschur, which is why it is NOT included in _my_ package.

Again, is there a reason you're so infatuated with having a hard pipe there? There are cars making 500+whp on the FULLY STOCK INTAKE (no cone filter). At your point, you're at around 250whp. Think about it...spend time and money on things that make you faster.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for your explanation. Thats all I was wanting. I like to know why things are the way they are so I can learn from them and help other people down the road.

As far as bent on using it, its just it was already with the kit I got, so that is why I wanted to use it if the pipe would help! (but not if it will affect performance in a negative way!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts