Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up everyone I am realy considering on buying a turbo kit but they are realy pricy, I am considering on buying a 20g turbo for my evo since it would be so much cheaper then buying a full kit since I already have a megan 02 housing all I would need to buy is a tubalur manifold. I would like to know what horspower are this turbos good for, or even better would it be capable of puting my evo in the 11's. About an 11.7 would be ok, I know theirs a couple facters but bear with me please I want to make sure I make the right choice for my goals. Ive been told that a stock turbo is capable of this but I want to make sure I can do it and I wouldnt mind the extra top end power.

My supporting mads would be jdm mr dv,forge unos boost controller,boost gauge,flash,gsc272's ,[email protected] drop in, ams lower intercooler pipe,buschur 3" turbo back exhaust, straight pipe, walbro 255 fuel pump, 760cc injectors, performance wires, road race x clutch 2900, lighter flywheel.

I already have all the supporting mods just want the turbo, what do you giys think about this turbo for my goal of 11's.

This is the turbo ime talking about Mitsubishi 20G Evo 8 Turbo With 10.5 Hotside

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/product.php?productid=739&cat=17&page=1

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The reason I thought about doing this was because the megan tubalur manifolds go for about 200 and the whol quote on quote kit would be about 1500 dollars instead of 3-5 thousand dollars or more. I dont care about make 500 whp power as long as its a consistant 11 sec car street and strip car thanks and any coments or suggestions will be apreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
I've looked into 20g's and the only problem I've found is that they don't like our 91 octane. If your strictly going to run race fuel at the track, the it can do it. The rest of the time, getting to work and such, it will spool slower than stock for barely more power.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The 20g-8 has not been a viable option for over a year. I can't believe that place is still selling this turbo, but then again, they don't really know anything about Evos. They just sell everything possible. The 20g-8 is no good whatsoever.

There are 20g-9s that are better, but again you have to be careful. Any 20g-9 with a 6-blade wheel is garbage. That leaves the 20g-9 with 5-blade wheel. This turbo is better than stock, but ONLY if you are running max boost all the time, which would require alky injection or race gas 24/7. Even then, the 20g-9 is only about a 20-30whp gain over stock. You can hit 11.7s with the stock turbo on race gas or alky.

Also, don't base your decision of the Megan manifold. You shouldn't be looking at that anyway, because it is prone to cracking and makes less power than a ported stock manifold. If you're sticking with a stock-style turbo, then just port and coat your stock manifold. It will not crack and will make more power.

You shouldn't be messing with 760cc injectors either. If you get a 20g, then you will need to run alky to make use of it. If you run alky, then you remove the need for injectors. If you keep the stock turbo, you don't need 760cc injectors at all. The only scenario where you'd need those injectors is if you got the 20g and didn't use alky, but then it would be a waste of $1500 or whatever.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah thanks for your info warr based on what you said I guess I will just save a more money and buy the Buschur Racing FP3065 Turbo Kit. I figured that the megan turbo manifold was prone to cracking, I guess its true you get what you pay for. I could not find any reviews on the 20g thats why I had asked but thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Wow, the 3065 is a huge step up from a 20g, but it is an AWESOME turbo. People are making nasty power with that thing. I might get one myself, but I'll have to decide between that and a ball bearing 50 trim. My purpose is for mid-range torque on the road course. I don't want much lag, and I don't want it to be peaky. I also plan to mate my mid-sized turbo upgrade with a 2.3L stroker, so I think both the 50-trim and 3065 are great choices.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Warrtalon said:
Wow, the 3065 is a huge step up from a 20g, but it is an AWESOME turbo. People are making nasty power with that thing. I might get one myself, but I'll have to decide between that and a ball bearing 50 trim. My purpose is for mid-range torque on the road course. I don't want much lag, and I don't want it to be peaky. I also plan to mate my mid-sized turbo upgrade with a 2.3L stroker, so I think both the 50-trim and 3065 are great choices.

+1 on that, to me they are the best power/spool and all around satisfaction for your money.... don't waste your money on a 20g. I know a guy who has and hates it and he has alky injection. My 2 cents

1 - 7 of 7 Posts