Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has an evo 9 and we're looking around at turbo back exhausts but we can't really find any that are evo 9 specific. What are the differences in the exhaust between the evo 8 and 9? Will the exhausts for the evo 8 fit the evo 9? If so, which ones fit? We were looking at the megan racing ones and they didnt say if they did or not.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
subieracer18 said:
My friend has an evo 9 and we're looking around at turbo back exhausts but we can't really find any that are evo 9 specific. What are the differences in the exhaust between the evo 8 and 9? Will the exhausts for the evo 8 fit the evo 9? If so, which ones fit? We were looking at the megan racing ones and they didnt say if they did or not.
Thanks.
No, there are no exhausts made specifically for the IX. That would be too much of a waste of R&D money, since the VIII exhausts are so similar. Most, but not all, VIII exhausts will fit directly onto the IX. The key is just making sure beforehand that someone else with a IX has successfully installed one.

My suggestion is the Buschur Racing TBE, because it is one of the best on the market, and it is confirmed to fit the IX. If your friend gets an exhaust, though, he should also get boost control and flash, because the IX ECU is smart enough to detune itself when it detects additional airflow by lowering boost. Don't spend $600-800 on an exhaust just to get only a few ponies when you could get upwards of 70whp gains with the proper combination of mods (TBE, MBC, flash).

Btw, the Megan supposedly does not fit well, and because of this, Megan has been working on creating a specific IX downpipe (the rest fits). It's too bad, because I had a Megan on my VIII and did very well at the track. I know have the Buschur TBE w/Bullet muffler, though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
im not sure if you got your exhaust yet, but i got a rs*r exhaust on my IX. it bolted right up to the car with no problems. to me the rs*r exhaust is one of the better sounding exhausts for the evo. the downpipe will also fit with no problems but it takes away the cat so you might want to think about the downpipe :thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
wut is a turboback exhaust?

Warrtalon said:
No, there are no exhausts made specifically for the IX. That would be too much of a waste of R&D money, since the VIII exhausts are so similar. Most, but not all, VIII exhausts will fit directly onto the IX. The key is just making sure beforehand that someone else with a IX has successfully installed one.

My suggestion is the Buschur Racing TBE, because it is one of the best on the market, and it is confirmed to fit the IX. If your friend gets an exhaust, though, he should also get boost control and flash, because the IX ECU is smart enough to detune itself when it detects additional airflow by lowering boost. Don't spend $600-800 on an exhaust just to get only a few ponies when you could get upwards of 70whp gains with the proper combination of mods (TBE, MBC, flash).

Btw, the Megan supposedly does not fit well, and because of this, Megan has been working on creating a specific IX downpipe (the rest fits). It's too bad, because I had a Megan on my VIII and did very well at the track. I know have the Buschur TBE w/Bullet muffler, though.
hey wut is a turboback exhaust? iono wuts a flash either but ive got a stock evo 9 and i wanna make it fast and if i change my turbo back exhaust would it be a 3 inch pipeing?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
First off, welcome to EVOtuners.net. Secondly, please type properly with proper spelling and sentences...no saying "wut" or "iono," because we are not children - we are adults.

Lastly, to answer your questions, a turboback exhaust (TBE) is exactly what the words say - an exhaust from the turbo that goes all the way back. It would include a downpipe, a cat replacement (hi-flow cat or test pipe), an intermediate pipe, and then a muffler w/tip. Yes, most TBEs are 3" piping through and through, but some aren't, so you have to be careful what you buy.

A flash is a reprogramming of your ECU to optimize the air-fuel ratios, timing, and MIVEC (IX only).

My recommendation to you is the Warrtalon Package from Buschur Racing that costs $1270 shipped and will give you 60-70whp over stock with a TBE, manual boost controller, boost gauge, and flash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts