Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
My cheap ass loves ebay. That looks like the real deal too. The only problem is his rating. He only has two sales and one had negative feedback. Dude didn't even respond. The only way I would do it is if I was within 20 miles of New Canaan, Connecticut. Then I'd try and win the auction and meet him in person with cash for the part, but I ain't so... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Hey Warr, are you within driving distance of CT? Larry is gona have a EVO IX turbo before you if you don't watch it :)

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
I'm jealous. Let us know how the install goes.
Don't worry either, if it doesn't work out for you I'll take it off your hands. :laugh:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey i was wondering what would be a fair price to pay for one? and is it just a direct bolt on to the evo 8? is anything else needed?suggested?? thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
The going rate is around $500. It took me a long time to get one at $450 shipped. Some people have gotten them from friends who didn't know any better for $200-300 (lucky bastids). It is a bolt-on, but there are a few little things that are different on the IX. It uses different oil/coolant lines, and it has a different compressor outlet pipe (the small black pipe that goes from the turbo to the LICP). Some people have just bent the stock lines on their VIII while also moving the starter cable to fit the outlet pipe, but I made sure that when I bought mine that the guy included EVERYTHING that goes with it, because I want it to be done right.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You guys are so lucky. A used Evo IX turbo goes for $500 in the US, and $1000 for the same thing here in the UAE, and $900 for a used JDM MR turbo. I'm wondering if it would just make sense to try and get a 10.5T hotside shipped over instead.

I was looking at Gruppe-S's offerings and found

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Evo/evoeng/EVO105hotsidedual.htm and
http://www.gruppe-s.com/Evo/evoeng/EVO105hotside.htm

Lancershop sells http://www.gruppe-s.com/Evo/evoeng/EVO105hotside.htm

Not sure which one I should get. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
They are both 10.5 hotsides, but the dual port is the old design that was on the TME 6.5, and the single port is the new design that first showed up on the 05 Evos. Either is fine - there haven't been any confirmed differences between the two in terms of power, spool, boost sustainment, etc etc. It won't make near as much of a difference as switching to a IX turbo, though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So you're saying that the IX turbo is MUCH better than just upgrading the 9.8T to a 10.5T hotside then? Are you referring the to the TiAl version or the inconel one? Apparently, there are two types of IX turbos

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Yes, it's much better. We only have one IX turbo here. Other versions may or may not work - I only know of the stock IX turbo on USDM models. We do have modified versions with TME internals (Ti/Al) plus versions with 20g wheels and such, but I'm just referring to the plain USDM stock IX turbo.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Warr, the TiAl ones on the IX were known to fail quite a bit when I had my JDM IX back in Singapore in 2005. Are you guys having any such problems in the US? This was happening even on stockers, and I have seen bent shafts on these blown turbos.

I've been told nothing of the sort has happened on the inconel ones, and hence my question was whether the stock IX turbo that comes with the USDM IX comes with the TiAl internals or inconel internals. I'd reckon the 20G would put down much more power but would subsequently require larger cc injectors (720 cc)

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
No, only the JDM IXs were failing, but I thought those were the magnesium ones...I'm not 100% sure, though. We have had no such issues on our USDM IX's...

Ours do not come with TiAl internals. As mentioned, we have modified versions of the IX that we call the TME IX, which has TiAl internals, but those aren't the JDM IXs.

A 20g may or may not require injectors depending on the fuel you use. With alky injection, you won't, but with pump gas or race gas, you will definitely. The problem is that you don't get a 20g if you want to run pump gas boost, because it only shines at high boost...

·
Registered
137 Posts
oops, my bad.

Yes, you're right, the mag ones were blowing. Seems the USDM IX turbos should be a safe bet then. I suspect you guys got the inconel ones. I have been getting a lot of feedback that upgrading to a IX turbo is a waste of money and that I should shoot for a 20G instead but the idea of going 20G and needed to spend more money on injectors just doesn't make sense to me at this point in time.

I'm running my car mostly on the A1 circuit track near my place, and will probably be looking to autocross it, so the speed and smoothness of the turbo response is a priority over big power. Given this, my mind is still on the IX turbo and Megan coilovers (I saw in your other posts that you had glowing feedback on them -- not as good as the race setup you have now, but definitely better than stock)

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I think a stock IX turbo with Megans will be a great, affordable route for you to take right now. Look at me, I'm planning to compete nationally this year in both SCCA Solo II (auto-x) and NASA TTS (road racing time trials), and my goal is to trophy in both. I'll be doing this with a stock IX turbo. A 20g (the right one, there are several versions) will make more power, but it will require injectors and will spool more slowly. Otherwise, it's still a direct bolt-on, which is great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
parts and pieces

So Warr you got the coolant lines and the outlet pipe? And if the turbo is all you get, like in the ebay listing, does the Buschur 20g-9 installation kit have everything to make it plug and play?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Yes, I got everything it needs, because mine came right off a IX upgrading to a GT35R. I told him that I required the entire kit (oil/coolant lines, compressor outlet pipe, and wga), otherwise it was no deal. He didn't really know anything about it and didn't care, so he ensured the shop (AMS) sent me everything. It all showed up as one package still connected in one piece.

If you get a 20g-9 or 20g-LT from Buschur, then yes, you need to get the installation kit for your 03. The kit they sell has everything you need, but you can also get those same parts for much less through Mitsu. I don't have the part numbers, but I can get them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
cool

Cool. I just wanted to know what to ask for if/when I find a IX turbo for a reasonable price. Also I was asking if the 20g-9 install kit would work for the IX turbo, but it's a moot point I found a the thread on evom with the part numbers you were talking about for everything. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts