Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in Cleveland OH, and we have like 12 to 15 inches of snow...Now I have Not drivin my Evo in like a month but with all this snow I wanted to know how the Evo would hold up...WOW I went through knee high snow with ease (on the road)... Im so happy I bought this this car is for real the the total package!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Evos do great in the snow as far as the AWD and all that torque. it really pulls you through in those thick spots. Only complaint i had was how terribly the stock yokahama's do on slick surfaces but i know they're not meant for snow what so ever. If you got some good snow tires, it would be pretty unstopable.

·
Registered
166 Posts
going isnt a problem for me but if I do anything more than slightly touch the brake pedal I slide. Too much initial braking force.
Sounds like your on the stock tires. They are NOT for snow under any circumstances. Get some winter tires or at the very least all-season... If you have all-season... get some good all-season ones intead of whatever it is your on.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Even with my Blizzaks, I get immediate ABS lockup on ice/snow when trying to brake with any amount of force.
And this is why I love having an RS. I like ABS for the improvment in dry condition braking at the limits of adhesion, but is sucks real bad in snow.

I would recomend figuring out what fuse you need to pull to disable the ABS and try it out to see if you prefer that to the ABS for your driving style in snow conditions.

Keith

·
Registered
166 Posts
Our roads where solid ice during/after the storm, and I only had my abs go off once in over 3 hours of driving. I nearly broke my neck just trying to walk across the road.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have decent all seasons kumhos, I don't think new tires would really help too much, its the initial bite that locks them up.

I use engine braking to slow down and just barely touch the brakes to stop when its slick out. It only does it on packed snow or ice, powdery snow is no problem, as its usually not for any vehicle.

Even with awd have to watch out.
I was coming home from work not too long ago when we got 10 inches, I ended up behind a snow plow and stayed there, a newer land rover came flying past us, doing at least 50+, I saw him wrapped up in the guardrail a mile or two up the road.
4/awd is nice but doesnt matter how many wheels have power to them when your trying to stop.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That's pretty funny. On Wednesday I got passed by a guy in an Audi on the highway, about 5 minutes later I passed him, it looked like his audi tried to learn how to climb a tree.

It failed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The evo handles great in the snow, but there are just times when its better to submit to mother nature and proceed with caution.

The thought of my evo wrapped around anything makes me sad, I used to think they where ugly but after driving it for nearly 2 years I think it looks hawt, especially right after a wax job or after a good rain.

In the situation I was talking about above I counted over 30 cars that had run off the highway or run into something, it started snowing that day around 2:30 and I left Fort Leavonworth at 5:30, within that time we had about 6-8 inches.

Its about a 20 minute drive from the fort to my moms house, where I was headed, and in that stretch of road (about 25miles of highway) is where I saw the aforementioned 30+ cars. 90% of them where jeeps, navigators, and other 4x4 vehicles ROFL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts