Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes hello all Im new at all of this and was woundering if I put a aftermarket exhaust and a downpipe I would like to know what exhaust had a place for the o2 sensor and if I have a true turbo back exhaust and i put the o2 sensor in will it throw a engine code or do I need a high flow cat or what.

I am also woundering what all mods have thrown a engine code. I just dont want to throw a code thanks :dsm:

·
Registered
99 Posts
You're not going to get any gains from just putting an exhaust on. The Evo's ECU is smart, so when it detects more flow through the engine, it de-tunes itself so it's making stock-like power. For real gains, go with the Warrtalon stage 1 upgrade. It has everything you need to start making power, and defeats the de-tuning from the ECU.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
You asked about an exhaust and a downpipe, but the downpipe is part of the exhaust, so that confused me. The whole exhaust consists of the downpipe, cat, and cat-back.

On a IX, the rear o2 is in the cat. When you get a TBE, since most TBEs were made for VIIIs, that means the bung will be in the mid-pipe portion of the cat-back. The o2 cable is long enough to move the o2 sensor back to plug into the mid-pipe, but no matter what you do, you're going to get a CEL if you replace the stock cat. That's ok, though, because it's the same for all of us, which is why we just use a very cheap CEL fix.

As mentioned, just doing a TBE on a IX would be a pretty big waste of money. The more important mods are a tune and MBC (with boost gauge). If you do the Warrtalon package, for instance, you get the tbe/mbc/gauge/tune all at once, which is the perfect stg1 combination. You don't have to buy a package to get that combo of mods, but that's just one option for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I thank you all for the input I know that the things that I was talking about well not give me a gain but I just wanted a good sound and to just free what the Sweet stock stuff and im not goin for big power right now I only have like 1200 miles on the car right now, but I would like to know more about the Warrtalon stuff if you have somemore info on it plz tell me. thanks.

Oh and the cheap CEL fix what is that and how does it work. thanks agin :dsm:

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Oh and the cheap CEL fix what is that and how does it work. thanks agin :dsm:
There are some places that sell a small spacer that fits between the rear O2 sensor and the bung. You can also used a partially drilled antifouler from most autoparts store too. It moves the sensor out of the exhaust stream so it's not getting an acurate reading, but it still warms up so the ECU thinks it's working.
http://www.evotuners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=887

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Yeah, larry gave you the goods on the CEL fix. There's multiple methods and some exhausts come with one already, such as the Buschur TBE that you can buy by itself or with the BR stg1 or with the Warrtalon/Buschur stg1. I created a package for them that they sell. The whole point of my package is to give you all the mods you need for stg1 so that you are not incomplete and so that you don't have any superfluous mods that you don't need.

You said you weren't even caring about power but you wanted the sound? If that's the case, then it's not really up my alley, because I can't understand spending $600-800 just for sound when you could gain 70whp for under $1300. Such things don't register in my feeble brain. =) Anyway, the good news is that in addition to the TBE, all you need is an MBC set at the proper boost level and a good flash (tune). Each of these is included in the package I created, as well as a boost gauge, which is of course a critical mod (even if you only do the TBE).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok nice well do you have a sound clip of the buschur stuff and how much is the stage 1 package and the warrtalon one thanks :dsm:

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
BR stg1 is $1350 or so, and the Warrtalon package is $1270 (shipping is included). I need to go make my own sound clip, but I don't know if that will help you completely, because there are 4 or so different configurations you can choose, because for the stated price, you can choose a test pipe or HFC along with 3 muffler choices. I use the test pipe and their new Bullet muffler for the absolute most power and least weight, but it's quite loud. An HFC with the Magnaflow muffler will be heavier and less power but MUCH quieter.

Buschur may also have sound clips on their site, so you may want to check there real quick.

PS. I ran the times in my sig with my stg1 package. The difference between the two was just the octane. I put in some 110 mixed with 93 and cranked the boost from 21 to 24psi to hit the 12.000, but it was the same mods and same basic flash that's included in the package. IXs tend to make at least 30whp more with those same mods, so you get the picture...

·
Registered
70 Posts
if you are looking for a lot more power, spending money wisely, the warrtalon package is one of the best out there. If you want a nice exhaust that is something you can drive with everyday, I would get the buschur turbo back exhaust with cat. the cat keeps the CEL off and it really reduces in-cabin noise.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
The HFC doesn't keep the CEL off. Any cat replacement will throw a CEL unless it has a CEL fix (or has one built in). The Buschur TBEs come with this fix, whether it's the HFC or test pipe, so you're ok with that route.
Is that a special thing with the IX's? Back when I was stock ECU on my 03 I didn't get a CEL with my HFC in place.... perhaps the more advanced ECU throws a code more easlily than the EVO VIII ECU?

Keith

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Not that I know of. Which HFC did you have...was it from Buschur? Usually, any stock cat replacement will throw the code except for the few HFCs that are build with an integrated CEL fix.
It was one of that Buschur used back in the day when the EVO's first came to the US. I know he switched to a different one, probably because of problems with the internal material cracking over time if exposed to higher than normal temperatures..... like you get when running heavily modified EVO's :)

Keith

1 - 14 of 14 Posts