Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good cost effective vlowoff valve, I am short on money and I have had the EVO MR JDM Blow Off Valve but got rid of it thinking it was leaking but it was my clutch going out. I want to get it againg or should I go with the Tomei EVO Blow Off Valve. Or maybe the Forge EVO Closed Loop Dump Valve.

here are the prices
Forge EVO Closed Loop Dump Valve $169.95
EVO MR JDM Blow Off Valve $129.95
Tomei EVO Blow Off valve $179.95

My plans are to run 24-25 psi at the track 20-21 on a daily basis. War if you are reading this the EVO MR JDM Blow Off Valve is not suposed to cause idle or driveability issues but when I had mine it tended to stall if i was barely giving it gas and lete go it would make my car want to turn of every once in a while.

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/home.php?cat=27

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Just get the JDM MR DV. It's the same as the Tomei, and that version Forge is not recommended on the Evo. Only the Forge RS should be used. Btw, you can get the JDM MR DV for like $105. Do not pay $130 anywhere, and if you're really good, you can get a used stock IX BOV from a IX who foolishly upgraded. JDM MR DV = stock IX DV.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
a-spec said:
So this blowoff valve or bv can hold 24-26 psi with no dropp effectively right?
The JDM MR DV (or stock IX DV) is good up to 24-25psi in terms of max boost holding ability. Beyond that, it's not quite strong enough to hold the boost 100% efficiently, but it's still very good. Basically, running 30psi on a JDM MR DV is still more efficient than running stock boost (19-20psi) on the stock plastic BOV. When I pressure tested my stocker, it began opening at 13psi.

On the 2nd point, I think you are confusing boost taper with boost holding ability. No matter what BOV you get, the boost is going to taper. The boost is not tapering due to the strength (or lack thereof) of the BOV. It's tapering due to its inability to keep pace with the flow of the head at higher rpms, so it has to lower its boost output. The key is to get a BOV that won't leak any of that boost so that all the boost your turbo creates is fully utilized instead of leaked into the air.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts