Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, having read what I have about Evo's and now owning one -which I have had problems with- I think there is a problem. All the magazines make the Evo sound like a landrocket, but mine doesn't feel that fast. The other day I encountered a rather cocky Mazda 6 owner. Now this was the sport version, whatever it has, i dont know. It wasnt the Mazdaspeed though. We were runnin around 60mph and this guy was all over me before I knew what it was. I could NOT get him off my tail. Until I gave the Brembo's a brake check, which effectively made him shat his pants. Off the line however He couldnt stay with me.

But really, I don't think its as fast as it sould be at all. Lexus IS300's give me major trouble even... I dunno

·
Registered
32 Posts
USMC_EVO8 said:
OK, having read what I have about Evo's and now owning one -which I have had problems with- I think there is a problem. All the magazines make the Evo sound like a landrocket, but mine doesn't feel that fast. The other day I encountered a rather cocky Mazda 6 owner. Now this was the sport version, whatever it has, i dont know. It wasnt the Mazdaspeed though. We were runnin around 60mph and this guy was all over me before I knew what it was. I could NOT get him off my tail. Until I gave the Brembo's a brake check, which effectively made him shat his pants. Off the line however He couldnt stay with me.

But really, I don't think its as fast as it sould be at all. Lexus IS300's give me major trouble even... I dunno
Huh... that sure doesnt sound right! Did you buy your car used and what do you have done to it??

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah u should have no problem giving a non-mazdaspeed six a slowly fading view of your tail lights, even if it is turbo which is unlikely. Got any mods?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I still have the AEM. No I haven't had it tuned, little tight in the $$ department right now. But would the intake really make it that much slower?? Also, my "service engine soon" light comes on sometimes, but then goes off after awhile, will the miles on the odo. cause the light to come on when it nears the time it thinks you need an oil change? I had a GMC truck and a Mustang and they both did that.

But if the intake is causing that much trouble then should I get it tuned or put a factory piece back in? What would be better for the $?

·
Registered
361 Posts
USMC_EVO8 said:
Yeah, I still have the AEM. No I haven't had it tuned, little tight in the $$ department right now. But would the intake really make it that much slower?? Also, my "service engine soon" light comes on sometimes, but then goes off after awhile, will the miles on the odo. cause the light to come on when it nears the time it thinks you need an oil change? I had a GMC truck and a Mustang and they both did that.

But if the intake is causing that much trouble then should I get it tuned or put a factory piece back in? What would be better for the $?

Do you have a boost gauge? If not I would buy one to make sure that you are hitting proper boost levels.... I know when I put my Injen Intake in it was cutting boost to about 12 psi. It is def somthing to consider.

·
Registered
32 Posts
USMC_EVO8 said:

Imo I would put the factory intake back on with a K&N drop in... the stock intake in this car is very good and works for about 400 hp. You will not need that AEM intake until you have covered many other mods and yes it will make you lose hp in some cases. This car is not like your american cars at all... it will definitely not tell you when your oil needs to be changed :nono: , your check engine light probably came on because the maf is freaking out because of all the extra air flow coming in through the open element filter. If I were you I would save up some money and do these mods first because you will see the most gain out of them...

1. Exhaust, dp, and high flow cat or cat delete.
2. boost guage
3. boost control
4. Some sort of tune, either a afc or a reflash.

I think that Warrtalon said that Burshur racing has a package with a setup like this for about $1,200 which is a pretty decent deal. Try hittin him up about it. Hope I was some help brotha... Oh yeah welcome to the site man. :dsm:

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Turbocrazy's got it all figured out.

USMC, I'm pretty sure I told you right away to get rid of that intake or get tuned. It's an unbelievable plague that new Evo owners seem to have where they think intakes are cool and refuse to believe us when we tell them that they only hurt the car without a tune and really aren't needed even with a tune. Must be the Honda influence...

John's advice was also great - without a boost gauge, you don't even know if the car is running at full boost, which happens ALL THE TIME on used Evos that were previously modded.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honda influence? The reason I drove the American cars is they had TORQUE, something hondas know nothing of. And yeah Warr, you did tell me, but I dont have the $$, and I plan on changing that when I get the chance.

I do have a boost gauge. Its a GReddy but its not in PSI, its in kg/cm2 or something like that, but it hits like 1.0 at peak. But I have NO clue if thats the normal level, I beleive thats supposed to be 18 psi?

Honda influenceROFL lol...

·
Registered
32 Posts
USMC_EVO8 said:

I do have a boost gauge. Its a GReddy but its not in PSI, its in kg/cm2 or something like that, but it hits like 1.0 at peak. But I have NO clue if thats the normal level, I beleive thats supposed to be 18 psi?

Honda influenceROFL lol...
1.0 bar is = 14.7 psi.. so you should definitely be getting more boost. I believe your car should get to 18psi then will bleed of to 16.5 psi.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
1 bar actually = 14.5 not 14.7 You are running lower than stock boost, could be a screwed up hack job return to stock after removing a manual boost controler, a boost leak, or the MAF might be so freaked out from the intake that the ECU is pulling back the boost a bit.

In an 03 you should be peaking at about 19 psi (1.3 bar on your boost gauge) tappering down to 16.5 psi (between 1.1 and 1.2 on your gauge).... you will notice a BIG performance boost when you are running the correct boost pressure :)

Keith

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
You don't need money to return the intake to stock, and if you can even afford an Evo, you can afford a $199 mail-in flash. I mean this is basic stuff. The car cost over 20k, but not willing to spend 200 to make it run right? Think about it...

Also, it baffles me that you could have a boost gauge that you don't know how to read. Why would you not immediately the night after purchasing the car go online and look up a psi-to-bar conversion chart? I mean...that's 2 seconds on Google to realize that you aren't even boosting NEAR stock boost levels. You likely aren't even seeing 1 bar, but rather base wastegate pressure from a hack job on the boost system like Fourdoor said. These are just basic, common sense things that you have to know to do when making a purchase like this. This boost issue happens all the time on used Evos as I mentioned before. This would be why the car is so slow...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:cry: why must you make me feel so stupid!?

lol, yeah i am new to the import scene so yeah. and basically at the moment i make enough money for the car,insurance and a little gas. but i just want to figure out what i need to do and make damn sure that what i do to fix it will be the best bang for the buck. and also, doesnt a mail-in flash involve removing the ECU? cause I dont really have a back up car around.

But thanks for the help... i just guess honesty can be a little sharp at times

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, didnt realize that.

Yeah,on the way to work I payed more attention to the boost, it gets up to about .9 maybe .95 bar... so you guys were right as usual. I think I'm just gonna go with the factory intake if I can find one. Probably expensive straight from Mitsu'. Anybody happen to have one??

·
Registered
14 Posts
USMC_EVO8 said:
:cry: why must you make me feel so stupid!?

lol, yeah i am new to the import scene so yeah. and basically at the moment i make enough money for the car,insurance and a little gas. but i just want to figure out what i need to do and make damn sure that what i do to fix it will be the best bang for the buck. and also, doesnt a mail-in flash involve removing the ECU? cause I dont really have a back up car around.

But thanks for the help... i just guess honesty can be a little sharp at times
Yes you have to remove the ECU to mail it in. Some shops will tune it for around the same price, I had mine dyno tuned for about 200 bucks. If you want the best bang for your buck put the stock airbox in today, thats a free deal. Then adjust your boost, you are way below stock. Not to be mean but if you have an evo you should be willing to spend some money on it to make it right.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Also remember to reset the ECU :thumb: don't get down I made the mistake of buying an intake and it was the biggest waste of $400 dollars I ever made!

·
Registered
14 Posts
JohnEB said:
Also remember to reset the ECU :thumb: don't get down I made the mistake of buying an intake and it was the biggest waste of $400 dollars I ever made!

Yes, you live and learn and then read what you are supposed to do. I did the same thing, but I installed it and then had it tuned the next day.

In hindsight I wouldn't have bothered with the CAI, but that is like a broken record around here. :D In my opinion they are a real pain to install anyway, cut the hell out of my hands on the radiator shroud.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well if you know somewhere that is just going to give me a factory airbox then let me know because I bought mine with the CAI. And as rare as Evos are here I decided to go ahead and get it. And no, the dealership did not provide me with the intake the guy gave back, they scrapped it. So, besides going to the dealer is there anywhere I can get one? Not Ebay either... don't trust anything from there on my car.

And also, there was something about a boost leak mentioned. How can I check for that? I already had the upper intercooler piping (the cheap plastic part) blow off in the middle of traffic. I just pulled into Walmart and tightened it back up and tightened the rest later. Would any of those possible be part of this?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts