Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tuned my car with an afc,100 octane,23psi, and it made 305 whp would I see any gains if I keep my same mods and have it tuned with a reflash instead of the afc and if I would see gains would it be enough to be worth the money spent.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
An SAFC is far inferior to a flash in many ways, but one way in which it's not inferior is in making peak WHP with race gas. Do you run 100oct 24/7, or do you run 91oct on a daily basis? On 91oct, the flash would probably make more power, but on 100oct, the peak power would be right about the same level. The problem, though, is how the SAFC is not precise - it can only adjust AFRs, and in doing so, it indirectly affects timing. With race gas, you remove a LOT OF FUEL (-%) with the SAFC. Doing so tricks the ECU into thinking LESS air is passing through the MAF. Due to this, the ECU provides more aggressive timing. The end result is you're running higher boost, leaner AFRs, and aggressive timing - this makes power. However, you aren't able to set the timing right where you want it to ensure a smooth, reliable, and knock-free timing curve at every rpm in every gear.

So, really, you can't expect to make more power just by switching to a flash, but a flash would have originally cost you less money overall while providing much smoother power delivery and far more features. The SAFC doesn't give any features, while the flash gives you launch control, raised rev limiter, removal of fuel cut, idle speed control, etc.

For you to make an affordable switch, you'd need to be able to sell your SAFC and patch harness (assuming you have one), then get custom flashed in person with TechTom instead of EcuTek. If you are near LA, then, you can get custom Dynoflashed in early September when he travels there to tune Evos. Otherwise, it's not really an economical move unless you plan to continue modding and want the most precise, accurate, smooth power possible.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If your in socal and want a tune go see scott gray at road race engineering or see alfred at tuning technologies. Both are local and both are good, only difference being scott uses street tuning and alfred uses dyno tuning. But both use ecuflash, which is good software and makes power. However what are your mods? Is it just an afc and bc with 100 oct? If so you might be better off sticking with the safc, since youve invested in it and it will still make power. You could put the money elsewhere for now, it would be far more beneficial than a flash at this point, maybe cams.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
He has exhaust, IC pipes, and the other basic bolt-ons. Cams would be the next step, but a flash is very inexpensive, and he can sell the SAFC. I'm guessing Gray and TT don't charge that much for an EcuFlash custom tune. Plus, he could get multiple maps - one for 91oct and one for 100oct. Much better all around...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts