Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whatsup evo tuners! I was wondering if it were healthy for a evo owner as myself to take my turbocharged car for a roadtrip? My instincts tell me it wouldn't be very good for my turbo as in long lasting. When we evo owners drive at 80mph, that would be where the turbo kicks. And because of that, it would waste a ton of gas. If I were to take my car on a roadtrip, I would probably try to stay below boost as much as possible and avoid carpool. Does anybody have any opinions? I know the car can make it, but will the turbo last? Do you agree with what my instincts say? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Errr, no. It's no different from driving any other car. You aren't in boost unless you create enough load to spool the turbo. The turbo does not "kick" at 80. You can be at low throttle at 80mph cruising on the highway with no boost and get good gas mileage. It will only boost if you hit the throttle harder.

What do you mean you would avoid carpool?

Your instincts are way off. The turbo will not just randomly blow up because you drive long distance. That's crazy talk.

·
Registered
70 Posts
long distance cruises are better on any car, probably especially on turbos. It gives the engine time to fully warm all fluids, the pcv system to cycle a lot of air through the oil to help remove moisture. Cruising on 2 tanks of gas, i can get 24+ mpg at 80 mph. Only problem I had at all was the fact that my stock 03 suspension is, well, what it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just took my 06 MR on a trip from St. Louis, MO., to Pigion Forge, TN. Drove staight through on the way down and the way back, 9 hours one way. Drove 70-85 MPH the entire time. I averaged 26.8 MPG for the entire trip which included driving the Tail of the Dragon. I averaged alittle over 28 MPG on one tankfull. I was very happy with the mileage. I just wish this car had cruise control. Take the car on your trip, you won't be sorry.
Mark

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carpool Roadtrip On lowered Evo?

Thanks guys for all your input. I just wanted some side opinions before I made some decisions. Has anyone ever took a roadtrip with a Evo filled up and what would the gas mileage be on that? I*m thinking below normal. haha Common sense it would be with all that weight and gas driving for long distances. Highway mileage is the best nonetheless! But yea, I was just wondering if it would be OK to carpool my evo and its lowered. The rear is especially going to be very low and could eat the back tires more. I havn't even gotten a alignment yet. I should get that done before any future roadtrips. Oh and by the way, I*ve driven 80mph on the highway a few times and observed the gas needle. haha It sure does drop faster then its supposed to. Im like, Dang! To be on the savings side, I try and drive speed limit. :) But man, It sure does kick when you just tap it harder at 80mph. Sometimes I wonder if I should just Race people in 5th gear and I*d still pull. Well, that is if I*m at 80mph.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Take your personal issues to PM's and vent somewhere else. If you want to start a thread on "What's the definition of a carpool?" WTF then do it in the hangout.
Stay on topic; the car for a road trip.
Check your fluids, check your hoses, bring bring some tools. Run it. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Take your personal issues to PM's and vent somewhere else. If you want to start a thread on "What's the definition of a carpool?" WTF then do it in the hangout.
Stay on topic; the car for a road trip.
Check your fluids, check your hoses, bring bring some tools. Run it. :thumb:
And snacks, don't forget to bring snacks and tunes! I would die on a long trip without a good set of mp3's

Keith

·
Registered
100 Posts
ive driven my evo across the country three times between NC and CA. Always at least hitting 80. I had no problems. Because of the different terrains the evo is probably one of the funnest cars to roadtrip in....at least that ive driven. i took my evo totally filled up, with everything i could fit in it. i noticed it used a little bit more gas.. but come on, its not that big of a deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts