Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to inform everyone that the fproced performance evo green turbo is simply amazing. The spool is near stock but it pulls like hell. I just laid down 400/362 to the wheels on STRAIGHT and ONLY 93 octane at a mere 21psi. The car got a new bottom end with stock CR, aem ems, full 3.5 tbe, ic + piping w/tial, hks 280's set at 0 0, o2 housing and mbc.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Even for uncorrected that's really nice for 21psi and only 93 octane. Now it'll be nice to see some #'s out of it once a track opens back up near you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So, I'm assuming torque and hp are crossing at 5250 as they normally do? Is this a 3rd gear pull then if @ approx. 57mph he's spinning 5250rpm? I didn't really pay attention to the speed thing before.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Yeah, it's only a pull to 80-ish, so it has to be 3rd gear. Showing speed on the y-axis is very frustrating, because it's basically useless when trying to figure out spool and peak whp/wtq RPMs. Turbotrix ALWAYS DOES THIS even though we constantly complain about it - they just don't care for some reason.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Showing speed on the y-axis is very frustrating, because it's basically useless when trying to figure out spool and peak whp/wtq RPMs. Turbotrix ALWAYS DOES THIS even though we constantly complain about it - they just don't care for some reason.
They don't care; or they have something to hide.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah, it's only a pull to 80-ish, so it has to be 3rd gear. Showing speed on the y-axis is very frustrating, because it's basically useless when trying to figure out spool and peak whp/wtq RPMs. Turbotrix ALWAYS DOES THIS even though we constantly complain about it - they just don't care for some reason.

I agree, They did the same for my ride when it was tuned. Is there a mathematical equation to get the exact RPM? We know when HP=Torque it is what, 5225RPMS? So what is the Math constant to mutiply by to get the proper RPM reading.

I also don't like how it falls to 19PSI, it should hold a lot more on pump, 23 at the most and since it is more efficient it should be safe with 93 and proper bolt-ons/tuning. Do you think it has to do with the stock actuator or the Twin Scroll not being able to flow the exhaust gases at high rpms?

IDK, we need ras gas numbers and track numbers which I believe a LOT will be posted this summer.

Hey Warr, how far off stock is the spool?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
What did you mean when you were talking about falling to 19psi and should be holding 23? He's only running 21psi, so 23 is not even in the equation, and I didn't see him post a MAP sensor log showing the boost profile.

Using Winpep and looking at some of my old dynos, on 93oct with 20-ish psi, the initial point at which the torque climb stops (right around peak boost) is right at 40mph. This graph shows 44mph. When I switch to engine speed to show RPMs, i'm hitting that same spot at 3700rpm, and the 44mph mark is at 4100-4200rpm.

Another example is my 26psi alky dyno with cams at 6000' altitude where spool is drastically affected. On another Dynojet with the speed setting, I am reaching the top of the initial torque ramp-up at 44-45mph. So, this guy at 21psi is spooling about like my stocker with cams and alky with higher boost (takes longer to hit 26 than 21) at 6000' altitude. So, it's not like it's a slow-spooling turbo, but it's definitely not stock spool.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What did you mean when you were talking about falling to 19psi and should be holding 23? He's only running 21psi, so 23 is not even in the equation, and I didn't see him post a MAP sensor log showing the boost profile.

Using Winpep and looking at some of my old dynos, on 93oct with 20-ish psi, the initial point at which the torque climb stops (right around peak boost) is right at 40mph. This graph shows 44mph. When I switch to engine speed to show RPMs, i'm hitting that same spot at 3700rpm, and the 44mph mark is at 4100-4200rpm.

Another example is my 26psi alky dyno with cams at 6000' altitude where spool is drastically affected. On another Dynojet with the speed setting, I am reaching the top of the initial torque ramp-up at 44-45mph. So, this guy at 21psi is spooling about like my stocker with cams and alky with higher boost (takes longer to hit 26 than 21) at 6000' altitude. So, it's not like it's a slow-spooling turbo, but it's definitely not stock spool.
Where in my post did I say it was set at 23PSI? I said it SHOULD be set to 23PSI and being a larger turbo it SHOULD hold 23PSI and be efficient enough to do so on pump gas. I then wondered if it had to do with using the stock Evo IX actuator or if it had to do with the stock twin scroll exhaust housing having to much back pressure to do so without being forced via an upgraded actuator. I believe the Stock Evo VIII or IX turbo won't hold much past 21PSI at redline, so I was hoping this Green could do it easily. This Turbo was set to 21PSI and did fall 2 PSI, we both know analog gauges aren't 100% accurate but I believe a fall in PSI was realized especially since power began to fall off instead of holding constant like say a AMS 50 Trim which would hold 21PSI and keep it there and make power until redline.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
You didn't say that either. Go read what you wrote. You may have meant to say that they should be running and holding 23psi, but it wasn't articulated very well. This guy is only running 21psi, so he claims, and he mentioned nothing about his boost falling 2 psi. Are you getting that from the EvoM thread maybe? There is no MAP sensor log showing the boost, so we don't know exactly what the boost is doing.

Anyway, you can't expect it to have the same boost profile as a 50-trim. A 50-trim will ramp up more slowly and later in the powerband, then hold it pretty flat if you're in the 21psi range. However, the 20g-lt is still just a 16g that has been modified - that will never change. The key is that it performs better than a stock version without sacrificing much spool.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My Wonderful Self said:
I also don't like how it falls to 19PSI, it should hold a lot more on pump, 23 at the most and since it is more efficient it should be safe with 93 and proper bolt-ons/tuning. Do you think it has to do with the stock actuator or the Twin Scroll not being able to flow the exhaust gases at high rpms?
I said it should hold more, regardless of it being set to 21 or 23 and so on. Who knows with an analog gauge it but it was set to one psi and did fall to another PSI and power fell with it towards the end much like a stock turbo but with more power. I like 23PSI because it is generally the most achievable on 93 pump and I would like to see a turbo hold that amount, again like an AMS 50 Trim Kit.

Yeah I got the PSI drop from Evo M. I like that it makes 400WHP on pump with stock like spool, I was just hoping it would hold a solid 23PSI (Yes a map tested 23PSI) and bang out a 420WHP and hold steady boost until redline. I am not sure if it lacks the CFM's to do so or the hotside can't flow or it's simply poor boost control. It still impresses me and maybe with an upgraded actuator or possibly an 02 DUMP like Electric Evo's pump gas monster has it'll hold those PSI pressures without falling off. I would also assume that a 18PSI actuator would help spoolup?

Either way I would imagine it would spool much faster on the IX.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I personally think people get way too hung up on how much boost turbos hold. That's all you ever hear people talk about instead of just looking at the power. You can force any turbo to "hold" whatever boost you want - that doesn't mean it's efficient in doing so. Regardless of whether this turbo holds 18 or 28psi at redline, what really matters is how much MORE power it makes at the same boost levels as a regular 16g (or 20g). If it makes 40 more whp at 18psi than the others, then great...that's all that matters. Whether it holds the actual number of 21psi at 7500rpm or not is irrelevant. This turbo is not close to the size of a 50-trim and is never going to do as good a job of sustaining boost at high rpms. The total area under the curve in comparison to 16g/20g counterparts as well as larger turbos is what is going to determine its success, imo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well lets see I will try to get it retuned for 23/24 psi but I wont want to push it and like how it has no knock at all right now. As far as race gas and track times those will come early march because its pointless to get a race tune while I cannot go to the track just to please the crowds. The turbo is not a 50 trim but at the same time it's def capable of similar power range and for daily driving is great. Turbotrix and the mph, no clue but I will ask if th next dyno can be in rpm because honestly I'd prefer that also. As we all know the spool can me adjusted with the degreeing of cam gears right now they are set at 0, might try to mess around to see where it gets me. Love the turbo Robert (Forced Performance) did a great job

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
The powerband can be moved around with the cam gears, but I'm not sure how much you can affect spool (positively) with cam gears without losing valuable power up top.

I do look forward to the Spring when you can get the mega tune and hit the track.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts