Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a stock black evo9 and I want to upgrade, but I want you guys to tell me what u think, will I be needing to add any parts or missing anything, or is there a better brand? Tell me what you think.

Cone Style Air Filter
buscher flash
Walbro 255 lph High Pressure Pump
Defi boost gauge
Defi gauge link
AMS UICP
AMS front mount intercooler upgrade
Smooth flow lower I/C piping
3" TBE (Vishnu or AMS)
Ebay o2 housing
Exedy Single Plate Organic Clutch
HALLMAN Evolution RX MBC Kit
AMS Mini-battery kit
Blitz turbo timer
Kartboy Short Shifter

Can you think of anymore mods that mite help me, I was thinking myth/water injection but I'm not sure.
Also, should I upgrade spark plugs?

Suspension-
-Vishnu/Ohlins Coilovers with Upgraded Camber Plates
-Hotchkis adjustable rear sway bar
-Cusco trunk bar
-Bushings
-SS Brake Lines - Front/Rear
-Hawk brake pads
-Brembo Front And Rear Slotted Rotors
-Evo 8 rims

BTW: I'm posting this for someone else, THIS IS NOT MY CAR. I have an x not a ix.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
You have a X? You sure about that? My guess is you have an VIII, but you said you had a X.

Anyway, the mods are pretty close to where they need to be, but I don't understand why he'd go for a "Buschur flash," yet get all those other parts AMS (or Vishnu). His best bet is to just get everything from Buschur if he is going to get a Buschur flash, because the Buschur flashes are ONLY made to go with their stages.

My suggestions:
- BR TBE w/bullet muffler
- BR air filter kit
- BR LICP
- Forge UNOS MBC (Hallman Pro is also very good, but he doesn't really need to get the Evolution RX version)
- Walbro 255
- BR coated SS o2 housing
- Kartboy Short Shifter (also get the Kartboy underhood and shifter bushings)
- Gerrard-spec Ohlins from Vishnu (excellent choice - mine are being installed in a few weeks)
- SS brake lines (good)
- Slotted rotors (good)
- Hawk pads (good - just get the right ones. I use HP+, which are the most aggressive "street" pad they make. The HPS are more for street and less for track.)

Things he doesn't need or should re-consider:
- UICP and FMIC (UICP doesn't make power, and FMIC isn't useful until running meth/alky daily with big boost or until the turbo is upgraded)
- Mini-battery kit (doesn't really do anything, but if he gets one, might as well get the Buschur one along with all the other parts)
- Exedy Single Organic (no, no, if he's going to get all these other good, powerful parts, he needs to get a real clutch. All organic singles are questionable and cause 7k lockout problems. Get the Exedy Twin HD or Exedy Single 4-puck cerametallic)
- Blitz turbo timer (not useful - just a gadget)
- Hotchkis sway bar??? Why get this when he's spending $3400 on a full suspension setup that has already been tweaked and tuned by a pro driver for 2 years and that utilizes the stock sway bars? That would make no sense to buy a full suspension setup then go add something that isn't a part of the package.
- Cusco trunk bar (eh, more for looks. It does stiffen things up, but instead of randomly buying parts like this, he needs to be sure he knows why he's getting them so that he knows if they help or not. This may not work properly with the Ohlin setup, because the testing was not done with a trunk bar)
- Evo 8 rims? Why in hell would he get those? They are the most boring rims imaginable.

Other mods to consider:
- Alky/meth injection is an awesome mod, but he needs to be sure he understands the dangers and maintenance required. I use alky daily and when racing - I love it.
- If he gets alky/meth injection, then go ahead and get the FMIC/UICP
- BR ported/coated stock exhaust manifold
- BR ported/coated stock 10.5 exhaust housing
- GSC 272/280 cams (only $579 for about 20whp on IXs)
- Plugs, yes, but IXs have different thread depths, so I don't know what type is a direct replacement

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Warrtalon said:
You have a X? You sure about that? My guess is you have an VIII, but you said you had a X.
See at the bottom, I have an 05 evo8 MR, this is a post for my friend who has a stock evo9 which he wants to upgrade.
O, did u say that cuz of the rims, he swapped out the stock evo9 rims for evo8 rims.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
His response-
So I got a few questions here,

1. My other option was an AMS in house flash, should I go with that?

2. Do I even need to upgrade my clutch with these mods?

3. So wait, the vishnu kit was made to cover everything, I mean this as in it is tuned the way it is with the stock sway bar and all so upgrading would like throw it off and actually result in worst handling? So the kit comes with everything I need?

4. I heard that upgrading cams mite not be that good of an idea with a 9 and that an intake cam was not made? Can you give me more info on this since then I'd go with 680cc injectors.

5. I'm not sure about plugs either so yea.....idk what to do there.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
There are going to be varing opinions on what brand is better. It's easier if your friend just posts for himself and that way he can say what exactly he wants and needs for the car. Also, don't just throw a whole bunch of parts at the car. Mod slow, see what changes, and it makes it easier to track down problems.
Two things that stood out to me;
Don't change the clutch till it's dead. It's an expensive part that requires a lot of work. Throw in a stainless steel clutch line and remove the fluid restrictor for now.
I thing the spark plugs get overlooked. Keep in mind the basic rule; for every 75-100 horsepower you add, use one range colder plug.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I need to at least add 1 step colder plugs but idk which ones, do you guys now any? I cant find any from my searches.

Also, so do you know if gsc makes 272 cams for the evo9? If so I'd totally get some but I heard that they like didn't make an intake cam yet and the gains were not that impressive.

Will it be a good idea to be running 680cc injectors with stock cams?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
partymonster975 said:
1. My other option was an AMS in house flash, should I go with that?

3. So wait, the vishnu kit was made to cover everything, I mean this as in it is tuned the way it is with the stock sway bar and all so upgrading would like throw it off and actually result in worst handling? So the kit comes with everything I need?
Can some one help me with these 2 questions, and warrtalon, for question 3, is that true?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
1) I say to get all Buschur parts and get tuned at Buschur, if possible.

2) It's likely that the clutch will go out much more quickly due to all this new power, but it's a very expensive thing to upgrade due to the labor mainly, so you might want to wait until the stocker goes out.

3) I would assume that if you were spending $3400 on a major suspension setup such as this, that you would know what it includes. I mean, aren't you buying it because you know what it is and what it does? I can't understand why you would choose that setup if you don't even know what it is. Based on this, other questions, and always saying "like," I do not believe you should be doing even 1/4 of these mods right now, because the Evo may get ruined. The Vishnu Ohlin setup has springs, helper springs, shocks, top hats, bushings, and camber plates, all of which have been tuned rigorously on the track and shock dyno in order to find the perfect balance of streetability and speed on the track. This isn't something you just buy, slap on, and then slap on other random suspension parts with no clue what they do. Please research this more in-depthly...

4) I don't know who said cams might not be a good idea, but as for the intake cam, yes it exists now. There's 2 companies that make cam sets for the Evo, meaning they have created intake cams that work. You should already know this stuff by researching and staying current on what is available for your car, especially if you're putting together a $10,000 list of mods. I am again confused on how you would not know this stuff already if you are about to spend so much money. I already listed above that GSC has a 272/280 combo for the IX. Did you miss that part?

4b) You have no need for injectors. Why do you keep mentioning them?

5) I know the exact plugs for the VIII, but the IX was made with different thread depths that are very weird, so I don't yet know what to use as replacements.

I won't answer anymore questions until this guy registers and posts for himself. I don't understand why he hasn't done that already.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most of this info I got off evolutionm.net

Does this seem better? I have questions and info next to some.

Cone Style Air Filter
AMS in-house flash (I'm closer to ams, like 30min away)
boost gauge
AMS UICP
AMS FMIC upgrade
AMS lower I/C piping
3" AMS TBE
BR o2 housing
Exedy Twin HD clutch
Forge UNOS MBC
Blitz turbo timer
Kartboy Short Shifter
GSC 272/280 cams

Suspension-
-Vishnu/Ohlins Coilovers with Upgraded Camber Plates (hold off on until I do more research)
-SS Brake Lines - Front/Rear
-Hawk brake pads
-Brembo Front And Rear Slotted Rotors
-Evo 8 rims

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Yeah, it looks good except for the clutch and the Evo 8 rims (not sure what the story is on those). I'm sure AMS hasn't had problems with that clutch themselves, but that's not the point. It is a well-known fact that single disk organic clutches have issues and don't last long. Some people that never really drive their car above 5000rpm may have no issues, but those of us who actually use the car have problems. The general consensus is that type of clutch will likely cause 7k lockouts and then wear out in a shorter timespan than desirable, which then makes the cost more than just getting a good twin disk up front.

Any cams can make the idle suck, but if it's tuned right, then it will only be as bad as you want it to be. If you want it to lope like a cammed v8, then your tuner can do that. If not, your tuner can do that, too. A 272/280 combo won't be as bad as a 280/280 combo.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
blkIX,
Welcome. Are you the friend partymonster975 was posting for? If so, what exactly are you looking to do with the car? Track racing? Daily driver? What do you want to accomplish?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kinda, I met him like twice and I saw his evo so I gave him my sn and we talke once and awhile, I was asking about forums and he said he'd post some for me if I wanted. I plan to daily drive it and take it to the drag strip once and awhile but I'm looking for an awesome all around street car that if I decide to later I can take to the track.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have any other ideas for a clutch since IMO the Exedy Twin HD seems like an over kill for my setup.

Also, you see what I got so is that OK how it is, I know you said that 680cc injectors wont be needed but wont I have the chance of running lean, I bet that can be fixed with a good tune but for example a kid in my school added 680's before he added cams. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
The Twin is by no means overkill for your setup. You're getting a lot of mods, and the car will be very powerful. Especially when you go to the alky injection and have 380-400wtq...

If you don't want to get it, then you'll just have to flip a coin and pick a single disk then pray for the best...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not a 100% sure if I'm getting the alky, If I do I'm getting the stage one from slow boy which is like myth/water injection. I'm just worried about the safety part. If not then I'll just stick to what I got.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do you have a laptop? If spending all this money on your car and worrying about if it's o.k. why not spend $25 bucks or whatever it is and get EvoScan or some logging software so you can see what's going on with the car and put your mind at ease, or have your tune adjusted accordingly? Am I off here Warrtalon? And I would listen to the man about the Exedy Twin HD, there's a pretty nice video of Warrtalon going 12.3 powershifting the car and the thing seemed to hold like a thing of beauty. And I highly doubt is was only powershifted on that one pass. :)

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
In that vid, I have the Exedy stg2 single disk 4-puck cerametallic, which is the other one I mentioned above. I powershift every gear on the drag strip with that thing, but it's not as good as the Twin HD, which is stronger, less harsh, and easier to drive daily. It also has a lighter pedal pressure. I now have the Exedy Twin Carbon, because Exedy wanted me to test it after testing the 4-puck, and since I blew out 4th gear in the 6spd while road racing, I had a good opportunity to make the swap. The Twin Carbon feels almost like the stock clutch - the engagement is so soft and smooth, but it grabs fully. It's way more comfortable for daily driving than my 4-puck, but I haven't gotten to race with it yet.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
blkIX said:
I plan to daily drive it and take it to the drag strip once and awhile but I'm looking for an awesome all around street car that if I decide to later I can take to the track.
That's kinda like me too.
As far as the clutch; I just went through the clutch upgrade thing and I stuck with a street disk. ACT's MB7-XTSS, fluid restrictor out, and stainless steel clutch line. With a clamp load increase of 54% and a torque rating of 567lbs, i t grabs very well, while remaining civil. I've been in Evos and Eclipses with puck style clutches and that's not nice for day to day. Even if you slip it nice at the stop light it's just eating the flywheel and friction ring. You said it yourself as I did too, if it's a street car first, stick with a street style clutch. That's just my $.02, and at least wait till you kill the stocker too. Take out the restrictor and install a clutch line ASAP. It will give you better feel and probably extend the life a little. I wish I had done this first.
From your list start with;
Cone Style Air Filter
boost gauge
3" AMS TBE
BR o2 housing
Forge UNOS MBC
... set the boost and get tuned for it. See where you want to go from there. It's actually early in the game to be thinking about injectors, cams, and clutches.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts