Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which clutch guys? I'm leaning for either the SD or HD. I know the HD holds 2900 lbs and the SD is 2300. And another thing is would it be advised to remove the restrictor pill? I'm not to sure if i want to or not because i'm going to be daily driving it, winter and summer haha. Should i also grab a ss clutch line while i'm at it?

Finally, is it worth the money to buy a short throw shifter? I was looking at either the Buschur or Works one. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Do not mess with the SD. Only the HD is to be used. Plus, you need to be sure you are referring to the Exedy Twin, right? The SD and HD names are only referring to whether the pressure plate is heavy duty or not. YOu should decide the clutch you want, then decide on the HD or SD. I suggest the Exedy Twin HD. I daily drive my Exedy Twin Carbon, which has an HD cover, and I daily drove it when I had the Exedy 4-puck, which is a 3100# pressure plate and harsh puck-style plate.

Yes, the restrictor pill should have been removed a long time ago - same with the installation of an SS clutch line.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Daily driver = Exedy HD (or similar w/street disk), restrictor out, and SS clutch line. :thumb:
My $.02; leave the race clutches to the guys who race.
Short shifter??? It's up to you. I've been thinking about chopping mine. :laugh:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah meant the twin. Yeah i'm probablyy going for the Twin HD. How harsh is the peddle though compared to stock? Btw, for the restricor pill, is the only thing it does is delay the clutch engagement? Will the feel of the clutch and shifting be different w/ it removed?

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Will the feel of the clutch and shifting be different w/ it removed?
The restrictor is only there to slow the engagement of the clutch, make it slip, and make it smooth. It will not effect pedal pressure and it will not effect shifting.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
You shouldn't be worried about the change in pedal pressure. The stocker is extremely soft and weak. You don't need to keep it that way. A stiffer pedal is a good thing, and it's not so stiff that it will bother you. After 2 days of driving, you won't even notice, then if you go try to drive a stock clutch'd Evo, you will think the clutch pedal is broken - no joke!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, i'm glad it isn't that stiff. I remember driving my buddies gsx, it had a act clutch installed, and that badboy was just crazy stiff. Thanks guys, plan on ordering the clutch this monday along w/ my cams. :cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, was my first experience w/ a race clutch. My buddy said it takes a couple of days to get used to. So for the break in for the clutch, you just stay under 4k for shifting and drive around for 500 miles?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Pedal pressure is way soft with the EXEDY clutches compared to the ACT 2600 I had in my GVR-4. This is due to the EVO having a "pull" style diaphram instead of a "push" style.

Keith

·
Registered
4 Posts
definitely go with the HD. You will regret the SD. I have a few customers that went against that same advice and regret it. The HD feels good on the street and def. smoother and easier than the typical 2600 type plate that a DSM tuner would be used too.

do it right the first time bud so it's the last time you will need to do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts