Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the AMS TBE ordered should be here in a few days!!! :) Anyone know any confident shops or tuners in the rocky mountain area? I am looking at doing cams and what not soon so if anyone knows any "trustworthy" shops please let me know!

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I'm actually not too fond of most of the shops in the area. The only one I personally trust for installations is Revolutions Tuning here in the Springs. You may be ok with CarZ Customs in Denver (owner has a IX). I wasn't too impressed by 9SR nor MAC. There are no shops who can tune your IX, though, but you can get a custom flash when Dynoflash comes back here in the near future.

That AMS TBE is great...just a bit exorbitant in price. Do you have an MBC yet? The TBE will give no gains without an MBC or tune, so keep that in mind. The TBE+MBC+tune will give awesome gains when used together, which is why the package I created includes those 3 parts only.

Are you sure you plan to get cams? There is only one set of cams available for the IX. They cost $900 from TurboTrix and haven't been making power on customer cars. The only other potential set right now is the GSC 280s, which are $599 shipped, but they haven't finished testing, so we don't know if they'll work or make power.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Warr,

Yes I can def agree that the price is a little painfull but I am glad to get it over with also excited to get it in and I hope it will not be to much of a pain, but I do have a buddy with a lift here! I havnt really looked into a mbc yet.... I need to do more research on them I suppose I just hear so many indiferent stories about them and that they are no good. But like I said it is just something that I have to look into myself. Btw I didnt know that cams hadn't hit the market for the IX yet! What a bummer!

·
Registered
11 Posts
JohnEB said:
Btw I didnt know that cams hadn't hit the market for the IX yet! What a bummer!

Not really. Your stock IX is making so much more power (especially when modded) than any of the VIII's that it's more that they're just not as needed. I would take the MIVEC over a set of cams any day.
As far as the shops go, I haven't personally dealt with too many of them, as I get most my parts online and just install them myself. I've heard good things about Street Concepts, and I know Racing Trenz just got a dyno installed there, so there are plenty of options.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KDamericano said:
Not really. Your stock IX is making so much more power (especially when modded) than any of the VIII's that it's more that they're just not as needed. I would take the MIVEC over a set of cams any day.
As far as the shops go, I haven't personally dealt with too many of them, as I get most my parts online and just install them myself. I've heard good things about Street Concepts, and I know Racing Trenz just got a dyno installed there, so there are plenty of options.
I was talking to a buddy in boulder that tunes for cobb in Boulder (which fyi is taking on evos this summer!!!!):thumb: , funny part being is he has an 05 mr but he was saying cams were not worth much hp but with cams and cam gears combined spool up is around 500 rpm lower. So at the moment of course I was looking at that ams fmic, upper and lower intercooler piping, and I may put the injen intake back in at the time of the tune.... but my biggest thing is to get all my parts that I want for awhile before I get a tune so I am not just installing parts and getting tuned for them every month!

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Well, he's terribly wrong about cams, I would have to say. CAms give 30whp/30wtq regularly without cam gears and usually a slight LOSS in spool if you get higher duration ones like 272s or 280s. Up here, the power gains may be lesser around 15-20whp on average, but gaining 500rpm spool just makes no sense - that is unheard of and has never been shown on any dynograph I've ever seen. You're more likely to lose spool than gain it with cams. Not sure why he'd make those claims. Also, Cobb has been working on their Access Port for the Evo for a long time. 6 months ago reports were that they were "almost done," so this summer is really no different. They may get done finally, but with EcuFlash being out and being free, there's really no reason to pay for an expensive device that doesn't really do anything you can't already do yourself for free.

I have been trying to help with the mod path, but I see you just have your own idea about things (intake, bov, $1000 exhaust). The FMIC will only hurt spool and not give any power while on the stock turbo and running pump gas. The UICP adds no power and is just for bling (like the Injen intake and APS BOV). The LICP is very useful and highly recommended, though.

You don' thave to get every part right away and get tuned every month. There's only certain parts that require a retune, so don't cripple yourself by adding a bunch of stuff that hurts the car and makes it slower. Be sure you know what requires a retune and what doesn't. I can tell you if you ask.

Not sure who says an MBC is bad, because it's not people in the Evo community. Are you getting that info from other cars in other communities? There are some factions in the Evo world who prefer to control boost through the ECU, but most of us use an MBC or EBC. There's no downside to using an MBC whatsoever except that if you are just irresponsible with it and turn it up to max all the time instead of setting it where it's supposed to go.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[/QUOTE]I have been trying to help with the mod path, but I see you just have your own idea about things (intake, bov, $1000 exhaust). The FMIC will only hurt spool and not give any power while on the stock turbo and running pump gas. The UICP adds no power and is just for bling (like the Injen intake and APS BOV). The LICP is very useful and highly recommended, though.[/QUOTE]

I can understand your drift on everything but telling me that $1000 dollar exhaust is to much? You run BR $1,000 exhaust, forge $150, APS @ $200. Also I have read that the fmic on the evo is in need to be changed when you get close to the 320 whp mark it only makes sence to me that when you get a flash and raise boost which would offset the lag when you upgrade the fmic. The only reason I asked about a mbc is after to talking to people such as AMS they say with a mbc it messes up timing & a&f since your car is not tuned for the higher boost levels. This is all a learning curve for me so this is why I post this to see what people have to say. I don't think there is 1 way to get maximum power or to safely run higher boost levels or whatever... it is a huge tuning world and thats why these forums or a simple call to a well known company that deals with our cars is very valuble.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
No, the Buschur exhaust is $825, and within the package, the cost is even less, especially when you get free shipping. The Forge RS DV is because I have an 8, not a IX. If I had a IX, I wouldn't have had to upgrade. The VIIIs got a plastic DV that leaks at 13psi. I went 12.000 on my JDM MR DV and was given the Forge RS as part of my sponsorship when I started running 26+psi daily on alky (just beyond the JDM MR DV's leak point). Your stock BOV is awesome and even works better than the APS, so it's entirely different. You had no reason to upgrade yours.

I don't know where you heard or read that the FMIC needs to be changed at 320whp, because that couldn't be further from the truth. That's another bogus thing. It seems you are being fed a lot of bogus information (not sure where or why) that is leading to poor purchases and wasted money. The stock FMIC is perfectly mated to the stock turbo, and regardless...WHP isn't what determines the FMIC's utility - it's mostly the boost level and outright airflow. On the stock turbo, you don't get gains from an FMIC until you're running megaboost on high octane or alky. It's a $700 mod (or more) for 10 or less whp otherwise. A flash won't offset lag from an FMIC - not sure why you'd think that.

AMS told you an MBC is bad? I can't say I believe that when they offer MBCs in their staged packages. Just about every AMS customer runs an MBC, too. You'll be getting tuned for the MBC and higher boost, so why would it mess up timing and AFR "since your car is not tuned for higher boost levels"? That's contradictory.

AMS is great and makes really fast cars, but I don't know when or why you started going to them when you had such great resources right here. You could have tons more power right now for way less than you've already spent had you listened to anything I've said...and I'm assuming the trend will continue because you haven't followed one bit of advice yet. You're right that there is not ONE single path to reliable power, which is why it's not necessary to get the exact BRAND names I suggest, but it is important to follow the same PATH. You've gone the route that many other Evo owners have foolishly taken, which is to treat the Evo like a Honda while spending gobs of money to not make any power just so that the car looks (Injen) and sounds (BOV) fast. It's an unfortunate phenomenon with people who come to Evos from other, slower platforms.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Clay just comes off sounding that way sometimes. Don't take offense to it. Rest assured he's not actually UPSET about what you're doing to your car. Take it for what it's worth.
I'm not sure where you got that 320 hp from. Those numbers vary so much depending on the dyno and where it's at, that an arbitrary number doesn't do you any good. The intercooler is supposed to match the turbo. HP is more or less irrelivent because you're dealing with CFM from the turbocharger. If you increase the size of the intercooler without significantly (read "significantly") increasing your CFM's your hurting yourself. That being said, if you plan on upgrading the turbo somewhere along the way, then it may make sense to switch the intercoolers now. However, the turbo's on the 06's are pretty f-ing sweet, so if it were me, I'd stick with the stock intercooler. That's a lot of money you could put elsewhere on the car, and have it make a much bigger difference.
MBC's can be bad if you misuse them. It's like a dog that's so obedient, it'll jump off a bridge if you tell it. You just need to know what you're doing when you set the thing, and a tune does help. Blanket statements like "it messes up your timing and a/f" aren't necessarily something you should listen to. In the tuning world, everything has a purpose and an application. The key is to thuroughly understand what and how everything works. This will keep those blanket statements like "MBC's are bad" out of your head. :)
The aftermarket intakes for the Evo don't make a lot of gains for the money (in my opinion), and I'm sure you already know you'll need a tune to use one. Again, if you're ultimately heading for some serious high HP applications, then yes, you'll want to hold on to that intake.
Good luck on that learning curve. You're on the right track if you already know that there's not just 1 way of properly doing things.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol yep but after awhile I believe everyone gets use to the way he handles a question which is fine because everyone has their own way.... anyways glad to get some good input but I would rather not touch a mbc yet. What else is very usefull of a IX regardless of price?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well I have owned my IX for almost a year now (purchased Sept 30th 2005) and I have been patiently waiting for AEM to release the EMS for the IX. Since then I have done 3" turbo back exhaust, DC sports manifold, Injen intake and upper & lower I/C pipes and a 50 shot of nitrous with a custom tune done by Al from Dynoflash. I have made 380awhp on the bottle and 315awhp off the bottle. It has run a 12.30 @ 113 at Bandimere this past weekend and I am pretty happy with it considering it weighs 3500lbs with me in it. However I am awaiting for AEM so I can throw some 980 injectors and an Agency Power GT3076R BB turbo setup on it and make some real power. I am also thinking about a Cosworth head and I know my Cosworth cams should be here by mid October...

Damn car, what a money pit! I am now Harley-less due to my newest addiction for modding this IX. Check it out @ www.carzperformance.com you can also see the VIII that is our Shop car.:dsm:

·
Registered
123 Posts
JohnEB Im on the same route as you!!! I have a IX with a full 3" turboback, and intake. Have some money next month to spend but don't know what to do now!

·
Registered
441 Posts
A tune and some form of boost control would be my next step JTizzle. With that you'll have a healthy setup that won't cost a fortune. Not to mention allow plenty of room to build on as funds become avail. for more parts.

I can set you up with a tune, just contact me privately for more details.

·
Registered
123 Posts
JT, when you asked me how to spend your 2k, I didn't know you already had a TBE and intake. Bad boy doing that on a IX!! MBC + tune will make your car a beast overnight for less than $300...
:laugh: My bad man. I need a tune for sure. Justin "you got mail"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts