Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off since this is my first post gotta say gj on the forums here, feels good not seeing hundreds of posts of people asking what bov makes the most noise and seems to be alot of detailed help here.

So on with it, I've been talking to the guy at the local mitsu dealership for the past few weeks and after having my eclipse totaled(r.i.p's) I decided to go with the EVO9. My first choice was the MR but my friend had one and I wasn't really feeling the 6 speed so hes trying to work me a deal on the SE which I liked, just not the color they had(i like the black).

So after much reading after I get used to the new car and reading on here for the past week+ the first few things I've decided to go with is the BR tbe with bullet muffler and basically Warrtalons package, only problem is i gotta find someone local to tune it for me or do the mail in thing i read about on here. Other than that I've been rather satisfied with how the car is(for now) would like to do more upgrading after those just not sure of what will be next. Looks dont really matter to me, I would rather have power over looks and sounds.

The Evo will be mainly a daily driver but also use it for track so debating whether to use the stock rims with tires on track as well or maybe to invest into some other rims with new tires, once again looks dont really matter just some nice light ones with good tires for a track would be nice if you guys could point me in some directions would be nice.

Other than that there's not much more for me to do but wait for some responses and comments to help me enjoy my first evo. And thanks in advance for any help/comments.
And sorry if this is so long lol

-Marshall

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
The tuning is taken care of in the Warrtalon package, so you don't have to figure that out on your own if you get the package. If you don't get the package but get the parts from the package, then you'll have to coordinate tuning on your own.

I can definitely help you choose later mods after you get your stg1 stuff on and see how you like it.

I can also help with suggestions on what to do to prepare for track events in terms of suspension, wheels, brakes, and tires. I'd say to worry about that a little later and not to do too many power mods before you get on track.

As for the IX, the SE is the best possible choice. The only thing it's missing that's worth having are the Bilstein shocks from the MR.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I can get those for free, My buddy with the MR changed his shocks after like 2 weeks of having it and I'm sure he wont mind parting with them.

Do you have the link for the package or should I just go pick em peice by peice on the site?

and for the help later on ty

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Free? Those shocks sell for $600-700 used. That would be quite a steal if he just gave them to you...

To get the WT package, you just call up Buschur and request it by name, then let them know you have a IX and pick the exhaust combo you prefer. The only "link" that exists is the thread started by David Buschur himself announcing the new package:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=184587&highlight=warrtalon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea he owes me a few favors anyways, i tossed him some parts when i turboed up my eclipse, and preciate pointin out the package for me.

Another question i had was i heard that the evos had a fairly weak clutch dunno if that still sticks but a buddy had a 03 model and the stock one was weak.

was wondering if i should invest into a clutch till the stock one goes or just put it off and stock up on goodies till that day comes

·
Registered
137 Posts
No problems with my clutch after 28000 km. Nothing weak about it unless you're habitually launching the car at high rpms and have bad stick driving habits like resting your foot on the clutch.

Oh, and I do track my car as well, and my clutch still works fine.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Actually, the stock clutch IS weak. If you don't drive the car hard, never launch, and don't race, then it should last a decent amount of time, but for most people. it doesn't last long at all. Mitsu put in a restrictor valve to limit clutch engagement, which causes it to slip even more than normal while simultaneously protecting the drivetrain parts. They made the clutch weak to lessen the # of drivetrain warranty claims.

I would suggest not worrying about it up front, but after you put on some power mods, prepare to have one purchased and ready for install. Mine went out at 7500 miles, but I was already racing the hell out of it running 12.2s...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Actually I can get those for free, My buddy with the MR changed his shocks after like 2 weeks of having it and I'm sure he wont mind parting with them.
I have the MR (Bilstein) suspension on my SE. Compared to stock, the Bilsteins are a little more compliant. They seem to allow the tires to keep better contact with the road, especially on less than perfect surfaces.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I talked to my friend at Mitsu. and he said that my car is on the truck and on the way so hopefully ill have it by tuesday, cant wait to break it in. also ordered the 3 guage pod like the mr's and also talked to my friend and hes gonna sell those shocks to me for $150 and some subwoofers i had collection dust so i came out on top in that deal i hope.

but other than that if all goes well ill be ordering the br package and be havin a lil fun with that(till my neighboors complain lol) they only like domestic cars and hate when my 4 cylinders smoke em. but hopefully all goes well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
also ordered the 3 guage pod like the mr's .
I purchased the factory gauge package with my SE. I had the same gauges in a RS and felt comfortable with opting for the same. Warr has a point; if you plan raising the boost, the factory boost gauge doesn't go high enough. That's not a concern for me, but it may be for you. I've never found the voltmeter to be a crucial gauge in a new car, unless one is running a very powerful stereo system or any other electric-intensive accessory.

On an older car, however, the volt meter can serve a very important function. As an example, I rely on the voltmeter in my '91 GTI every time I get behind the wheel. The car has very powerful headlights - four 100w H4s - as well as H3 fogs. Its wiring isn't getting any newer, and ever though I upgraded the grounds, there's still only so much juice to go around. It also helped me to diagnose a failing alternator before becoming stranded on a Sunday drive.

If you prefer using factory parts and maintaining a stock appearance, the factory gauges will probably serve you well. OTOH, if you want to mod the car, an aftermarket solution may better fit your needs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmm maybe ill call him and tell em not to stick em in then and just opt for the gauge in the br package for now, as for the volt nah no use for it then i used to lick loud speakers but dead weight now just gotta poke the stock stereo out and throw my kenwood in bout it.

though i just found out future mods may take just a bit longer for me, just found out ima have an addition to the family and now the fiancee gettin cranky ima be spendin a nice chunk on the car so we'll see, but the stg 1 pck is a for sure lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
I recommend a SS clutch line and removing the restrictor that Warr mentioned above. I noticed a big difference in clutch feel by doing this. They have a write up of this install on evomoto.com. I also installed some Buschur shifter bushings while I had everything out which made shifts feel a lot more solid. All for about $55.. definitely worth it!

·
Registered
171 Posts
though i just found out future mods may take just a bit longer for me, just found out ima have an addition to the family and now the fiancee gettin cranky ima be spendin a nice chunk on the car so we'll see, but the stg 1 pck is a for sure lol
Congratulations! Children take a lot more work than I ever imagined, but the rewards are equally as big.

Here's an idea: why mod right away? The Evo is a powerful machine bone stock. Unless you plan on solely running in a straight line, a few key turns of the steering wheel and strategic use of the brakes will accomplish a lot more than extra HP. Too, as I'm sure you know, the powertrain warranty will become null and void after the mods. Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to discourage you. I just don't think that modding is the necessary the wise first step in all situations.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just my 2 cents:

1. Leave it stock and save the money for HPDE, trackdays and autoX. Don't bother with drag racing -- they don't do your Evo any favours and they don't make you a better street driver.

and/or

2. MR Bilsteins, fuel pump, boost gauge, custom tune, TBE, and (1) above. That's really all you need.

I used to think I was a good driver. A track evening with an instructor by my side taught me otherwise. Now I believe that a fast (and experienced) driver is more important that a fast car :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
As far as needing a volt gauge in your car, if you plan on getting just about any turbo timer or other performance type electronic device (safc, g meter, etc etc,) it will have a volt meter on it, or you can datalog volts with palm n stein if you worried about it. I got rid of the stock gauges (comes with the mr package) and did the radio relocate and got defi gauges for boost, egt, and oil temp.

The placement of the stock gauges is horrible, I beleive the boost was on the far right on the bottom of the console next to the shifter, which made it nearly impossible to monitor while going wot and watching the road.

Good luck with the evo, there is a ton of useful info here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I finally got it (sorta) had just picked it up and guess noone checked over it before i picked it up and as soon as i got down the road the front tire falls off so they had to replace the rotor and they replaced all 4 rims, fun fun but all is well now. Gettin my buddy to order the br package for me so i can use his shop and put the mr shocks on while i have it on the lift

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Say what? A brand new Evo IX, and the wheel FELL OFF while driving? That's a lawsuit type offense. why did they replace all 4 rims? Weren't the other 3 brand news? Anway, glad they replaced the rotor, but I'd be worried about other structural damage that may not be noticeable to the naked eye.

You getting the BR package or the Warrtalon package? If you planned to get the Warrtalon package through Buschur, be sure to ask for it by name! I gotta get my credit, so Buschur knows I'm doing my job on this end. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts