Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so i am going to put in poly shifter bushings, metal under hood shifter bushings, and a metal clutch line because my car seems to be shifting poorly especially at high rpm shifts(does not like to go into gear), i am also going to be changing my transmission fluid and am currently planing on using OEM fluid since I have read that using anything else can cause the gears to wear a lot quicker...but I am curious about BG Synchro Shift II, some evo shops that I have been to seem to recommend that, I am just wondering if that falls into the same category as "fluid thats not oem, so don't use"

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Those shops that recommend BG II must not have been working on Mitsus for very long and need to stick to Hondas. The tranny fluid RRE recommends is the regular BG Syncoshift, not the synthetic. I've been using it for over 25K miles with no problems and will continue to use it.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I also have been running the "regular" BG synchroshift. No problems so far :)

Keith

·
Registered
78 Posts
Personally, I didn't like the BG Syncroshift after a few thousand miles. I've been using a mixture of Redline MT-90 (2 qts) and Redline MTL (1 qt). No problems at all for the last 20K of autoX/street use.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I only recommend the OEM fluids. Super DiaQueen for the trans and DiaQueen LSD oil for the t-case and rear diff.

Btw, all those mods are a good idea, but they are likely not going to change the high rpm shifting issue. If you're getting locked out or having problems with high rpm shifting, then it's probably synchros, a worn clutch, or a poorly-adjusted clutch.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i think that my clutch is going, but also i just recently adjusted my clutch pedal and assumed that that had something to do with it, but it isn't too close to the floor so it shouldn't be that bad, at low speeds it shifts fine
but i am going to try all of that stuff and maybe try adjusting the cluth pedal again and hopefully it will be taken care of

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
You should be adjusting it away from the floor, not towards the floor. You should set the engagement point high on the pedal travel when trying to remedy this problem. Eventually, you won't be able to adjust it further, and the clutch will just have to be replaced.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, it was just that the engagment point was so high, but i will try doing that

also any place special that i have to go to get oem gear oil? i called the dealership and they said they can only sell it to me 5gals at a time...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my mistake, it was BG Synchro Shift, and not BG Synchro Shift II that they recommended...which makes a difference, just wanted to make that clear

I looked on mitsubishiparts.net, i didn't see it, is it something that i have to request for in the parts request section?

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, what's the bottom line?

I have a 2003 Evo 8 that is due for oil changes. I will be using Royal Purple 0W40 for the engine during winter (it gets cold up here in Canada).

But what are the required oil weights for the diff and the transmission gear oil?

Please be very specific.

I would also appreciate a suggestion on recommended oil brand for the diff and tranny.

Thanks,
P.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts