Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My biggest fear is that the Evo X will be designed more to battle the M3 and not so much the STi. Does that mean they're going to focus less on making it a track monster? Will it be used less at AutoX and Track Events? I hope Mitsu doesn't over-do it on the luxury stuff because the M3, though it can be considered a luxury car, is still mainly a sports car with all the focus on performance. The M3 just carries over a lot of the same luxury items from the other 3-series models. It's almost a luxury car by default, it's still primarily a sports car made to handle and go fast.

Let's hope Mitsu keeps the Evo in the sports car realm and not lose sight of what the Evo really is.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Of course it will perform, in the right hands. Unlike the current Evos I think it will lack the jump in and go fast that make the current Evo such a joy to drive. I just hope I'm wrong.

Jared

·
Registered
108 Posts
i think they'll somehow pull it off. look at our current generation evo. the VI used to be the best perfoming evo then, they decided to use the bigger, longer, and heavier Cedia body. i was shocked at first because all that weight and everything seemed like a de-volution, but they made the CT9A the best performing evo yet. the evo is in good hands. as Dr. Evo says (the chief engineer for the evo) "our only competition is the evo IX. the X will be superior. far superior." :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
i think they'll somehow pull it off. look at our current generation evo. the VI used to be the best perfoming evo then, they decided to use the bigger, longer, and heavier Cedia body. i was shocked at first because all that weight and everything seemed like a de-volution, but they made the CT9A the best performing evo yet. the evo is in good hands. as Dr. Evo says (the chief engineer for the evo) "our only competition is the evo IX. the X will be superior. far superior." :thumb:
I hope so....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have no reason to doubt them in this case. It seems each generation of the EVO has progressively gotten better. I think the main thing here is that Mitsu knows they HAVE to get this right.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
But it's hard to create a "sure thing" with a brand new, unproven motor. It's a huge risk moving away from a proven, cast-iron block that is known to be able to handle up to 550whp without changing internals. This aluminum thing may blow up with an extra 50whp, or it may make 1000whp on pump gas with the stock turbo. Advancing technology is a good thing, but it's very difficult to get it 100% right the first time...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, lets hope they haven't forgotten that the 4G63 was known for its durability. I'll reserve full judgement until it comes out and some people have modified it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mitsu has to know there is a huge following, especially aftermarket for this car. To put a lemon of a motor in their new "superior to the IX" Evo just wouldn't make sense to me. If this motor poops out after folks just start doing basic boltons then they will absolutely kill the biggest % of their following. I think most of us just assume the manu. hp ratings are just a starting line. :) Hopefully Mitsu. gets this and doesn't kill off their enthusiasts.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately, I don't know that Mitsu is catering to the aftermarket as much as they should. They sure didn't with the new Eclipse and I think that was a huge mistake. I'm not sure they're designing the new Evo with the idea that people will want to build it to put out 500whp. They should, but again, I don't know that they are.

It sounds to me like they're trying to make it a good sports car to compete with the M3 in stock form, but not necessarily make it a "tuner" car like the current Evo is. That would be their biggest mistake and I think it would lead to their downfall in North America. Let's hope they're smarter than that.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Potential pitfalls of the next Evolution (SCC)

Sports Compact Car/April 2007;
"Even with an all new engine and complex S-AWC system in the Evolution X, the biggest headache for tuners may reside in the dual-clutch auto/manual transmission. Shift programs (Drive, Sports or Manual modes) are designed in terms of shift timing, redline and clutch overlap time. Even in manual mode, the Transmission Control Module (TCM) is programmed to shift at the preset pre redline point. Maximum downshift rpm is also limited by the engine. Stock power determines the amount of power each clutch can transfer without slipping, clutch engagement timing and gear overlap. With added power everything will start falling out of sync."
"The fact that the engine is turbocharged means that torque on the input shaft and each clutch varies with boost, throttle position and engine speed. So altering the shift program isn't as simple as changing the stock points. And this doesn't even scratch the surface of tuning Sport mode, which works with yaw, wheel speed and steering sensors to figure out which gear to downshift to. While Audi/VW tuners have already started working on TCM reflash maps, coming up with something as goos as factory tuning will not be easy, especially now that the Lancer has Controller Area Network-bus (CAN-BUS) for chassis communications. But it's possible - the Bugatti Veyron can make 1000bhp via four turbochargers. And uses a similar tranny. - JC"

:thumbdown
Doesn't sound good to me and the old MBC and exhaust tricks may not work as well. Who knows? Maybe there's a genious graduating from M.I.T. this spring who can crack everything.

·
Registered
100 Posts
all i have to say is...what was mitsubishi thinking making one of the greatest cars of all time an automatic. Im not sure if manual is an option, i havent looked too far into it, but an automatic evo? come on, i know they had them in Japan on the lower trim level ones....but seriously.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Uhhh... I thought I had read the 6 speed auto was an option, but you will still be able to get the 5-speed manual as well. That would be crazy, to make this car an auto only. Talk about dropping down sales #'s. I don't care how cool their 6 speed auto is, if I can't shift it myslelf with a good old clutch pedal and a shifter then forget it!

Please read this link I found. It seemed above the concern was with reprogramming shift points for the auto when making more power because off all the sensors and data that would need to be adjusted. In the link they say the 5 speed is available which would then eliminate a majority of these concerns would it not?
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_detroit/0612_2008_mitsubishi_lancer_evolution_x/

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
People thought that MIVEC would make tunning a pain the the butt, but that worked out great. I feel the same way about the sequential manual transmission and shift logic.

People are terrified of trying to tune it right now... but the first shop to get one and do it right will be on top of the game for the next generation of Evolution. The ones who chicken out and let someone else do the R&D on this car are the ones that will lose out.

Keith

·
Registered
6 Posts
you have the option of a 6 speed automatic transmission or a 6 speed manual transmission. The new motor the 4B11T is to me a dissapointment with the rear mounted turbo setup. The car to me is to luxury and not enough sport performance. So to me yes this car will attract many different markets because of its optionability but to me you built a car for tuning and track why change it to something your mother is going to want to drive!??? You will somewhat understand why they went this way if you look up the finance reports about Mitsubishi Motor Company USA and how they were given 2 years to make up their loses or the US Car division will be pulled out of the US and from the latest reports they are doing very well and with the release of the 10 it will attract more people and hopefully hit a homerun for Mitsubishi, as for me I'm not a fan I'm a believe in a car with a motor and a place to sit end it there!!-JOEYD

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just saw one of the new Lancers (not EVO) at the dealership yesterday. :thumbdown

My friends Mazda Speed6 looks bigger and badder then the new Lancer

They are a little smaller than I expected. From all the pics of the EVO X, it seemed that it
was a little larger of a car.

I know Mitsu talked about trying to make the all the Lancers closer in appearance from the base to the Evo, but I hope the body of the EVO looks nothing like the base model, very boring, even with the side skirts and front lip.

Also while I was there and thinking of the new motor, it hit me, if you think of the EVO 8 & 9 as being the 1G in the states and the EVO X as the 2G, are we going to be doing 1G motor swaps into the 2G, like the popular thing to do in DSM's???

·
Registered
143 Posts
Lol yea. I looked at the new lancer today, and its look is almost like mazda6, only smaller. But interior looks much nicer than old lancer, more like a family car, I like that! Not shure what they going to do with new evo x, but the look shouldnt be much of a differents! So I geuss we stock with 2G for now.

·
Registered
256 Posts
the new lancers kinda look like audis in the front atleast. just my .02 but i dont like them. the guys at the dearlership kept telling me when i boughgt mine to wait for the new 'concept X' and i was like uhhhhhh no thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts