Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3" Megan TBE that was on the 05 MR for 10k miles and went [email protected] on stock cams, then made 341whp/361wtq with alky (still stock cams).

I only changed it out because I'm now running the Buschur TBE w/Bullet muffler, so I did a simple swap. It's not pretty, but it works. All these exhausts like the Megan that come brightly polished new just look like this after a while due to all the heat. Same goes for the header and o2 housing...

Price is $400 + shipping.

Intermediate pipe:

Muffler w/5" tip:

Resonated test pipe and downpipe with flex section:

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it is pretty loud, but so is any catless 3" TBE. It's just something you have to deal with if you want the power. For what it's worth, my BR TBE is even louder than the Megan was, since the Megan test pipe is resonated, but I haven't been pulled over for either exhaust for the 1.5 years I've been using them.

Not sold yet...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I guess that's just your luck then. Even with my quiet exhuasts on previous cars I've been pulled over a few times. I would like the power though.

Once I even got pulled over in the Evo for "display of power" and all I did was casually accelerate from a stoplight. :thumbdown

On a side note, are you going to the World Arena autox on the 28th?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey... you trying to sell it as one or you selling the testpipe or downpipe seperately?

does this downpipe for the 06 models (IX).. the new megan dp has been backed up forever...

edit: ooooop didnt see the date of post- probs gone by now

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still have it. I was hoping to sell the whole thing, but I'd consider splitting it up. The DP I've had for 2 years now, so it's not the "new" version, but I didn't even know they ever released one. Regardless, I have an 05 MR, so it has ACD and the 6spd, but it still fit no problem. It was always close to the oil pan, but I didn't care.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What's the diameter of the intermediate pipe? 3in. as well?
I should have headers on the way for my Eclipse, but I need to retain some back-pressure for my still NA 4g64 to perform decently.
I'd like to get some better flow, however, so if you decide to go piecemeal we might could talk about the IP and muffler sections.

I should be in the Springs next weekend to hit up the auto shop @ the AFB...

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sayno, yeah, full TBE for $400. It's not an expensive exhaust, so I have no need to charge much for it used, but don't let the price fool you - this TBE worked great for me and went very fast at the track on many occasions.

You don't have to get retuned for just the exhaust, but if you are still using the stock boost system instead of an MBC, it will have a tendency to spike/hold higher due to the lack of backpressure. I recommend just using a nice $85 MBC to control your boost directly, then get custom tuned for it all at once.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok, so I can build a house and manage a data center, but I'm afraid my knowledge of autos is somewhat more...limited.

What kind of labor is involved with installation of the parts you've listed here? Also, can these parts be run on the street (i.e., any legal issues with being "catless"). What kind of power gains would this exhaust net over stock, and would it just be silly to start my modding adventures with just an exhaust?

Thanks!

K

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1) Very easy install. The only hard part is breaking bolts loose and getting the o2 sensor out of the cat initially. Otherwise, you just need a jack, jackstands, some wrenches, a ratchet, and the proper sockets. It all fits without modification, and with the full TBE, you can just drop the whole stock exhaust then install the whole new exhaust - much easier than doing individual components.

2) Yes, the test pipe is illegal, but you don't have to worry about emissions here, so it really just comes down to noise. You can get a ticket just for the exhaust being louder than stock, so the test pipe itself doesn't matter other than it's louder than a hi-flow cat or stock cat. This particular test pipe is resonated, which makes it not as loud as a true test pipe (like the one I have now), but it also makes a few less ponies (3-5?).

3) 25-30whp over stock, although on a IX.

4) Usually, just an exhaust is a good mod, because it makes power and doesn't require a retune, but the IXs are finicky. The ECU is known to pull back boost and timing when it detects the additional airflow, which can negate the power gains. However, if you also install an MBC at the same time, that will allow you to control boost and regulate it right where you want it. Or, if you get a flash, it will keep things in tune where you want them. The best way to go is an mbc, tbe, and flash at once...that is a perfect combo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks like my idea of a good deal on a tbe is turning into thoughts of ~$485 in parts and another $200-$400 for a tune...that doesn't even cover how/where I'd get it installed, heh. Oh well.

Thanks, Warrtalon, for answering my questions. You wouldn't happen to still have these parts, would you? ...just curious.

K

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I have the TBE waiting in my garage to be purchased. I also have a spare, good Hallman MBC if you wanted to try it out, but it's not for sale, because I prefer to keep it as a reliable spare. You could get my TBE, purchase a Forge UNOS MBC for $85, then get tuned by our local tuner (Justin) for $150. We could install the MBC and TBE in my garage, or you could go to Revolutions Performance where they have lifts and give good prices/service. In the end, you'd have around 60-70whp over stock for under $750 or less?

·
Registered
34 Posts
ah, ok... Would I want to hold off on the install of a stage1-ish set of mods until right before I could meet him (or right before I get it tuned, in general)?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you do TBE/MBC, then you can drive around a while with no tune no problem. Oh, I forgot to add that I'd suggest getting a Walbro 255 fuel pump for about $79, too, when doing these mods. That one you'd save for just before the tune, but the other two can be put on and used no problem as long as you keep the boost normal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts