Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a fast rip around town, drive slow for the last 2 mins before pulling up in the parking lot (makshift turbo timer and common sense), open the hood out of curiousity and notice the turbo is still glowing red hot?

Im wondering if its normal for the exhaust manifold and turbo to heat up this much?

My friend had an eclipse and his turbo and exhaust manifold only went red hot if he increased the boost (we lit our cigrattes of the sucker once).

With stock boost and fast driving should the turbo glow at all? a little? not at all?

Thanks in advance:thumb:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apparently the fuel in Dubai is not well refined and causes the cat to block up prematurely.
A blocked cat, a red hot turbo and a noticeable difference in power :rolleyes:

I ordered a defi boost gauge and am waiting to install it so i know what my boost is.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
It is possible, it depends how hard you really push the car.

dxbtune said:
Apparently the fuel in Dubai is not well refined and causes the cat to block up prematurely.
If that is the case, go with a test pipe.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My freind suggested removing the cat cutting the top open gutting all the ceramics inside and sealing it back up therefore i didint loose my warranty and it would be hidden since its been opened and gutted from the top. (My evo doesent have warranty)
So...
Im going to go for the hks Titanium 3" turboback hopefully it will get rid of all the undesired symptoms.
I'm installing that exhaust in particular simply because there are no other ones available.

-Here the locals buy only the expensive stuff!? it seems like whatever is the most expensive must be best..that's their mentality. There are shops which fabricate custom exhausts however, i would rather purchase a trusted product.

With more and more researching of the power loss, i feel it could be directly related to the weather. Its hot here and it could simply be the intercooler thats heatsoaked.

Once my boost gauge is up and running i will get a better idea of whats going on.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
If you are just gutting the stock cat you don't need to cut it open.... a long rod or pipe can be jammed down there to break up the ceramic without any cutting or re-welding.

Since you dont' have a warrenty anyway I dont' know why you can't just use a test pipe in place of the cat.

I know that some American shops do international orders, and I thought that Buschur Racing was one of them... have you looked into that? Also, an exhaust system is a piece of pipe, not much more to it than that... so if a local shop has the ability to do mandrel bends (no press bend crap) have them make you a custom setup rather than buy the most expensive on the market just because it is available localy.

Keith

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ill go for whichever is cheaper but i would also like to get a descent sound out of it.
bending the pipes im sure wouldent be a big deal its the quality of the exhaust itself that i'm more interested in.

Stage 1 cost when purchased together: $1350.00
BR EVO AIR FILTER KIT
BR EVO 3" DOWNPIPE
BR EVO 3" HIGHFLOW CAT or OFFROAD PIPE (for off-road use only)
BR EVO 3" CATBACK
BR MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER
BUSCHUR FLASH ------------------------>that might be an issue
AUTOMETER 30-0-30 BOOST GAUGE
COLUMN MOUNT GAUGE POD
(copy and pasted from buschurracing.com)

[email protected] Nick Ryan (Customer Service) --> ill email him to find out if they can arrange the shipment over here and how long would it take most importantly.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
dxbtune said:
Ill go for whichever is cheaper but i would also like to get a descent sound out of it.

BUSCHUR FLASH ------------------------>that might be an issue

(copy and pasted from buschurracing.com)

[email protected] Nick Ryan (Customer Service) --> ill email him to find out if they can arrange the shipment over here and how long would it take most importantly.
If the re-flash is going to be an issue you can substitute the Apexi Super AFC in place of the flash. You get a slightly smaller gain in low end torque by using the SAFC instead of a flash, but it it still a good option.

If you can aford some down time with the car, talk directly to Al Friedman (president of Dynoflash) about your concerns and see if he is optomistic about the prospects of re-flashing your ECU. If he is not confident of his abilities to re-flash your ECU go with the option of using the SAFC instead of the flash tune.

Also, if you want a QUIET but good sound go with the Magnaflow muffler option. If you want it LOUD but with a good tone go for the Bushur new style bullet muffler.

Keith

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I asked over at the Buschur Racing forums and recieved the following response from Jarrod:

Jarrod said:
Thanks Keith. Yes we do international orders. The orders can NOT be paid for my credit card though as we have had some fraud in the past. If they would like to send a money order, cashiers check or do a bank to bank wire transfer we can get everything taken care of and sent on its way.
So go ahead and order up from them and go with the AFC option :)

Keith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts