Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what you guys think of grounding kits. Will they help smooth out engine operation, electrical sensors/actuators operation, etc? Or are they pretty much useless? Reason I ask is this:

I'm gonna get a Walbro 255 before I get flashed. I've read that the 255HP is pretty much "plug and play", no re-wiring necessary. What I'm trying to figure out is if a grounding kit would help the operation of the 255. It probably draws a fair amount of current, right? More than the stock fuel pump? I know some people have complained of the Wally being kinda loud too. So I was just curious to know if having a grounding kit would help smooth things out with a high flow fuel pump and the electrical demands that come with it.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I consider the grounding kits to be fool's gold. They act as a placebo, because the Evo is already very-well grounded.

If you really want one, though, make your own for $5-10. Don't pay for those $100 colorful ones that make the engine bay look like a circus.

The Walbro will whine, but it's no biggie. Good choice getting it before the flash...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, yeah that makes sense. And I suppose with the dual voltage supply to the pump there should be no problem. Thanks again for the help, guys. I always know I can come here for straight-up answers minus the BS. :thumb:

·
Registered
137 Posts
My 2 cents on the fuel pump - Instead of getting the Walbro GSS342 255 l/hr Hight Performance fuel pump, get the Supra TT fuel pump instead.

See http://www.roadraceengineering.com/fuelpumpflowrates.htm and http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=210600&page=1&pp=15

If I could do it again (which I will), I'd get the Supra TT fuel pump that is made by Denso and get a Jestr flash. John aka Jestr is amazing, and it will be the best US$52 you ever spent. You'll need to get a Tactrix cable (around US$90) and it will allow you to backup your stock map, upload new maps, do datalogging (Jestr is working on fine tuning my map based on logs that I get using EvoScan, another US$25 well spent).

Don't bother with the grounding kit. It may have some effect, but I'd rather put the money into the Tactrix cable, EvoScan (Mitsulogger is free, but has less features), and the Denso fuel pump for the Supra Twin Turbo.

The grounding kit *may* then make sense if it will deliver more current to the fuel pump, or you could just get some high gauge OFC cable and run it from the battery to the fuel pump. Alternatively, you could get a battery relocation kit to shift that 40 kg battery to the boot and gain the benefit of being able to run a good and short electrical cable to the fuel pump (which would be just 30 cm away if you relocated the battery to the trunk

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Why suggest the Supra fuel pump instead? That's not necessary - 99% of Evos use the Walbro. The e-flash thing I've posted about and given instructions on how to use EcuFlash. Jestr didn't start doing it until well after Dynoflash who started the whole e-flash fad.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree. And the point that the OEM pumps are more likely to have been designed with durability and reliability in mind over flow alone, may be valid. I have seen and heard too many cases of engines going up in smoke due to the Walbro failing, but I have never heard any cases of the Supra TT fuel pump failing. Of course, statistically, there are probably a lot more Walbros in Evos today than there are Denso Supra TT fuel pumps, but I would rather spend the extra $100 and not have to worry rather than save the money and risk damaging the engine, where repairs would cost me so much more.

This is definitely worth a read: http://www.stealth316.com/2-fuelpumpguide.htm

Some things you never cut corners on:

fuelling
fuel quality
oil quality
brakes
tires

They can either save your life or your tires.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
YOu have seen TOO many cases? I haven't seen hardly any, and I'm constantly in the middle of current info in this community. It is extremely rare considering the vast number of Walbros being used, yet the number of our cars using Supra TT pumps is extremely rare. Obviously, the cases of failure are going to be higher on the one that is use far more often - it's the law of probability. The Walbro is not a cut corner, that is for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not saying the Walbro is a rubbish pump, but I have seen a number of pumps fail (and the blown engine that comes after), and while not common, it does happen, and between that and an OEM (I've never heard of the stock Evo fuel pump failing on a stock Evo) pump, I'd cough up the extra and get the Denso, which is an OEM pump, and *should* be more reliable.

In any case, i've never heard of any Supra TT fuel pumps failing on the Evos, and the extra money is cheaper than having to repair an engine, right?

·
Registered
32 Posts
so what would be needed to make it fit? if anything. and could i just go to a toyota dealer and order it? i have friend that works @ a toyota dealer, so he gets discounts off parts, that is why i ask.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You could ask. The part number is Denso 195130-1020

I just spoke with my tuner, and he says no real benefits from the Denso fuel pump, except for possible reliability. He's never had a Denso fail on him yet, but he has seen one or two Walbros fail under heavy load (not on a stock engine and turbo though)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts