Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. I've been looking around for Evo's for the past few weeks now. I've been approved for a loan and everything is all set up. I'm just having trouble deciding what to buy. I found a 2006 IX MR with 23,000 miles on it for $27,400. I carfaxed it and everything is fine. But, I've also found some '06 IX GSR's in the $28k range, with mileage ranging from 8,000 to 15,000. I can afford both, but I was just wondering what you would pick. The MR seems like a great deal, but it does have a few more miles than the others. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I recommend buying a new IX SE for just over 30k at SouthCoast Mitsu. Getting a used Evo is very risky, and a IX should not have 23k miles. Hell, my 05 MR has 22k, and I drive it daily. Most used Evos have been modded, which usually leads to a lot of problems and a voided warranty.

Do not pay 28k for a used IX GSR when they don't cost much more than that new.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Warr, but South Coast is a bit too far for me. I'll have to see what the dealers around here are doing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
How does someone put 23000 miles on an 06 MR? Someone drove the hell out it for a year and then abandoned it at a dealership. Stay away from that one for sure. My 05 GSR has 12000 on but i didn't have it for 4 months. I have to agree with Warr on the advice of getting a new IX for $3000 more. That way you know for sure what your getting.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
1) It doesn't matter how far away SouthCoast is. People have been buying from them all over the country. You just buy it and pay for shipping - done deal. The cost of shipping is MORE than made up for by the extremely low prices, which are below invoice.

2) A new IX RS is only 27k...that's less than what you were willing to pay for a used IX.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright. I called them up again, and it's pretty much all set up. I'll probably have my GG SE within a few weeks! I'll post some pics when I get her. :dsm:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely helpful. Definitely excited. Thanks again, Warr. Only now, I'll look like some over privileged kid in an Evo. I'll have to get a magnet or something that says, "Yea, I pay for it."

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Well, there's a lot more to "paying for it" than paying the monthly payment. For a new IX, that's around $600/mo for the loan, $250-300/mo for insurance unless, $100/mo gas, $XXX for regular maintenance, all the money for propery tax and registration each year, paying for your own (lodging) house/apt/condo + utilities + phone + cell + Internet + water + sewage + furniture + appliances + food. If you live at home, are on your parents insurance, etcl, then it's not really "paying" for it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I do live at home, but I'm paying the loan ($522), the insurance ($330), the tax ($1800), and the tags and registration. And I figure by next year, I'll be living on my own. I'm lucky at my age to have as good a job as I do, so I'm in the clear so far as paying for everything car related. But you are right. It is a lot easier when you still live at home.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
The tax, tag, and license, go into the loan anyway unless you're spending cash to pay for them separately. Either way, if you don't pay for all your bills yourself, then it doesn't count. It's much more difficult to be responsible for a mortgage, utilities, and all your food + other bills while owning an Evo than it is to do it while living at home.

Next year, after moving out and obtaining all those bills, you'll still be able to afford $1000/mo on a car? I wasn't to that level until the age of 29 making nearly $100k. I can't imagine doing it as a kid who just moved out of the house.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tax and all is separate. Moving out, it may be hard for awhile, but I'll be able to afford it. I've put a whole lot of thought into it. If it comes down to it, I'll sell the car. Thats only a last resort though. If I had any doubts, I wouldn't be doing it. I know all the consequences of serious debt, and I know what happens when you don't make car payments.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts