Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner

GT turbo experts

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  pure_evo 
#1 ·
Okay, I recieved a unexpected per diem payment from the Army for the nearly 2 years I was stuck in a hotel.......Yay $25k.

Ok, in addition to adding the 272 cams I've decided to get a larger turbo.

I believe from the descriptions i've read that the GT3071R is the turbo that would suit my needs but..

Does anyone know the difference between the 3071, 3037, and 3056 in terms of max hp, spool, and drivability

Also does anyone have any experience with atpturbo.com?
They have the 3071 and 3037 kit for around $2400.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Yes, those where the ones I was looking at.

After talking to Buschurracing I'm also considering the fp3065, Sounds like it has decent spool and would put me where I would like to be powerwise.

Right now with the BR stage II parts the turbo kinda kicks in a little too soon (daily driver), it's a little challenging to putt around in, when I was tuning the boost on the dyno initially I had 24 psi at around 3450rpms ( overshot a little, set at 21 now).

From what Nick@BR said one of the guys there has 27 psi at 4400rpms with the 3065, that wouldn't be to shabby.

#4 ·
ATP turbo kits are garbage and I wouldn't suggest them to anyone.

If you're serious about going with a GT series turbo I would suggest looking into AMS' 30r kit with all of the goodies.

I wouldn't run a GT series turbo without the supporting mods however, which is up to but no including, full exhaust, cams, intercooler, and AEM EMS or similar engine management. On top of that I wouldn't run one without running alky because these turbos really arent worth the cash spent till about 30psi.

These are just my suggestions on what I would do with my car, my suggestions to what I think you should do with your car are as follows.

Go full bolt ons with a custom flash on a dyno, and then add alky. I think you will find the performance of a full bolt on alky car to be completely satisfying, and on top of that most of the bolt ons can be used if you wish to then add a GT series turbo.

Good luck, I don't believe you however about the stock turbo spooling too quickly, learn to take your foot off the gas pedal and you'll be fine.

#5 ·
Agree on avoiding any turbo made by ATP. You have 25k and are going to do a big turbo upgrade, so be sure to at least get one that works. A buddy of mine just went 11.2@127 on his BR3065 just to give you an idea of how well that turbo is working. The GT3071 and GT3076 are also very good, but don't get anything from ATP.

I have to also agree with having no idea how you could feel that the stock turbo spools TOO quickly. You may change your mind when it take a full second or two longer before the boost kicks in...

#6 ·
I'm used to a bigger turbo DSM (60 trim). I usually got around 30+ mpg because the turbo didn't kick in until closer to 4k rpms. In the Evo I get <20mpg and have less whp than the DSM.

To me the Evo turbo spools quickly, You can hear it pickup as soon as you touch the gas.

I appreciate the input but could we be a little more specific instead of the general comments?

The turbo's in the ATP kit are garrett turbo's, ATP just makes the car specific parts correct? If they are crap you may want to cite a example or reason rather than just saying something's crap. Otherwise things start sounding like evom.

I've already decided to stick with Buschur since I have their stage 1-3 parts (stage four not really needed since 680cc injectors won't support a much larger turbo and I installed a walbro when I installed the tbe).

What I want to know is how streetable is the GT series and the various trims?

What rpm range does boost come on and when is a reasonable full boost acheived (20+ psi)

I've looked at the compressor maps but that doesn't tell my when a 2.0l motors going to spool and what type of response to expect.

If someone has a dynograph of a GT equiped Evo that would even better.

Thanks.

#7 ·
superflyjmysnk said:
If they are crap you may want to cite a example or reason rather than just saying something's crap. Otherwise things start sounding like evom.
:thumb: Thank you and can I get an amen.

superflyjmysnk said:
I've looked at the compressor maps but that doesn't tell my when a 2.0l motors going to spool and what type of response to expect.
The compressor map only gives you an idea on how effeciently a turbo is going to perform, with your motor, at specific boost levels, and there's a lot of math involved.
Look under Technical/Compressor Flow Maps;
http://www.stealth316.com/0-frames.htm
If you can get a hold of (I know it's old, but it's the best one I've seen) SCC's Sept 2001 issue (Vol.13,#9) it has a fantastic step by step on how to do the calculations.
How it is going to spool is going to depend on wheel sizes and the turbine housing's area ratio. From the 4g63's with upgraded turbo's I've been in it seems like the .63 A/R's spool at 36-4000K and .84's spool 4000K-44K. But these are just ballparks because it all depends on which compressor wheel is mated with which turbine.
Which turbo are you specifically looking at? Which wheels, trim sizes, and area ratios are you considering?

#8 ·
Well, from word of mouth and cited 1/4 et's I think I'm going to get the BR/FP3065 with the .63 AR trim.

In all honesty I don't go to the track that much, maybe 4-6 times a year oppossed to the weekly visits when I was a little younger and single. I'm not really after a elusive 1/4 mile time, I'd just like to be in the mid 11 sec range with pump gas and methanol. I would prefer to keep the car streetable and not have to make too many changes between street and track.

I havent yet installed my cams and intercooler but I'd like to get those installed and dialed in and then get the turbo and decide on a meth kit. I've heard Snow meth kits suck (no reason why) but SBR sells them and I built my dsm with SBR products and was happy with everything I received from them.

If I can get full spool in the low 4K rpm and still be 400whp (or more accurately trapping around 115+mph) I'll be super happy.

I just don't want to end up with a super laggy giant turbo, which depending on which gt30 and AR trim can be a bit of a fine line.

#11 ·
Ive had friends with atp kits produce terrible numbers, as 4tun8 said its because they use there hot side to mate up to the stock manifold and its garbage. One guy at our local meets is only putting out high 3s on 100 octane. If its for a street car, the road race engineering kit is working wonderfully on some socal cars right now. That thing puts out damn good numbers, in the mid 4s on 91 pump. They use 3076r's and 35r's, kinda your choice. On a 2.0L the 3076 is spooling below 4k and it moves, Ive driven several and can attest to there ability. The reason I like the kit is that for a daily driver it uses cast parts. The mani is tubular but cast, so no problems with cracking on a daily driver. Plus your dp that you already have bolts to it, so less parts to buy. Just another turbo you might want to take a look at before you decide on one.

#12 ·
superflyjmysnk said:
Well, from word of mouth and cited 1/4 et's I think I'm going to get the BR/FP3065 with the .63 AR trim.

In all honesty I don't go to the track that much, maybe 4-6 times a year oppossed to the weekly visits when I was a little younger and single. I'm not really after a elusive 1/4 mile time, I'd just like to be in the mid 11 sec range with pump gas and methanol. I would prefer to keep the car streetable and not have to make too many changes between street and track.

I havent yet installed my cams and intercooler but I'd like to get those installed and dialed in and then get the turbo and decide on a meth kit. I've heard Snow meth kits suck (no reason why) but SBR sells them and I built my dsm with SBR products and was happy with everything I received from them.

If I can get full spool in the low 4K rpm and still be 400whp (or more accurately trapping around 115+mph) I'll be super happy.

I just don't want to end up with a super laggy giant turbo, which depending on which gt30 and AR trim can be a bit of a fine line.
Brother.

I bought my meth/alky kit from Engine Runup (www.enginerunup.com). The price, needless to say, is the "better" than I've seen. The installation was straight forward and pretty easy. Greg (ER's customer service represenative) is pretty good in his email responses if you have any questions. I'd definitely check out their website.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.