Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did I buy an MR? Nope, a VR..... VR-4...... 1996 3000GT VR-4 Spyder to be exact :D

I didn't trade in, or sell off my EVO, the Spyder is in addition too, not replacement of my EVO. I have wanted one of these cars since they came out back in 1995, and am finally in a position to own one, so I jumped at the chance :)

Black with tan leather interior, 45,000 miles, and it looks like it just drove off the showroom floor!

Keith

·
Registered
173 Posts
Congrats, a friend of mine purchased a 96 stealth (non turbo fwd) that we have turned into a turbo awd after a ton of work. He's in the process of putting twin evo III 16g's on it, i'm curious to see how that turns out.

I've always thought the 3000gt's looked better though.

Plan on modding it at all?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats, a friend of mine purchased a 96 stealth (non turbo fwd) that we have turned into a turbo awd after a ton of work. He's in the process of putting twin evo III 16g's on it, i'm curious to see how that turns out.

I've always thought the 3000gt's looked better though.

Plan on modding it at all?
At minimum I will convert over to E-85 (fuel pump, injectors, SAFC, boost controler, wide band O2 and boost gauge).... from there we will see where the performance bug takes me :)

Keith

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was always impressed with the stock topend power. They don't launch great, well compared to a evo but if you punch it anywhere above highway speeds those suckers will move.

·
Registered
256 Posts
my buddy has a 97. they are so much fun to drive. the syncros are kinda ####y though just something to watch for.

sweet ride though man youl enjoy it they def pull hard on the top end.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
damn nice.. weren't those things like 70k when they were brand new?

Window sticker for mine says $66,715, but none of them that I know of left the dealer lot with less than a $10,000 markup... plus sales tax, luxury tax, tag and title fee's you were looking at over $80,000 to get one out the door.

Keith

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was always impressed with the stock topend power. They don't launch great, well compared to a evo but if you punch it anywhere above highway speeds those suckers will move.
A stock EVO will blow away a stock 3000GT on the highway... those tinny little td04-9b stock turbo's are all about low end torque and fast spool up. Peak torque on a 3000GT VR-4 is at 2,500 RPM :) It feels like it has top end power because at 80 mph in 6th gear you are spinning 2400 RPM's.... right in the meat of the torque curve :)

Keith

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For me it will be a "jump high or don't try" type of thing. I will hold off on any major mods until I can do the full 9 yards.... intercooler upgrade, heads and cams, tdo5 16G (evo 3), AEM EMS, fuel system.... and keep it looking stock from the outside. That means upgraded side mounts and pipes rather than a FMIC, and an electric cutout in the mid pipe of the exhaust rather than a full turbo back.

Keith

·
Registered
173 Posts
Might want to get those parts soon, since I was helping my friend with his I noticed there aren't nearly as many vendors offering 3000gt parts as there was a few years ago. The turbo's and intercoolers shouldn't be much of a problem, but he had a heck of a time trying to find a exhaust and aftermarket exhaust mani's and other model specific parts.

Not trying to gloom your thread at all, still a awesome car, but their limited availability doesn't seem to bode well with a large aftermarket of availible parts.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have had no problems finding parts, and the market is expanding rapidly now that the VR-4's are cheap enough for younger buyers.... people are much more likely to modify the living crap out of a car they spent $4,500 on than they would be to modify a car they spent $45,000 on.

Two years ago you couldn't find anyone willing to do head work or make cams for the 3000GT, now you can buy them off the shelf.

Keith

·
Registered
171 Posts
Window sticker for mine says $66,715, but none of them that I know of left the dealer lot with less than a $10,000 markup... plus sales tax, luxury tax, tag and title fee's you were looking at over $80,000 to get one out the door.
Wow, I had no idea they cost that much. Do you know how many were sold?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, I had no idea they cost that much. Do you know how many were sold?
A total of 877 of the twin turbo AWD retractable hard tops were produced with 741 of the non-turbo FWD retractable hard tops. They were only produced in 1995 and 1996.

Keith

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have had no problems finding parts, and the market is expanding rapidly now that the VR-4's are cheap enough for younger buyers.... people are much more likely to modify the living crap out of a car they spent $4,500 on than they would be to modify a car they spent $45,000 on.

Two years ago you couldn't find anyone willing to do head work or make cams for the 3000GT, now you can buy them off the shelf.

Keith
Have you found a exhaust system for it yet? The only ones I can find are the borla (too much $$) and pacesetter. My friend that has one did cutouts until he can find one or fab his own.

I saw a 99 vr4 at a meet last weekend, it had a evo style wing on it and the owner said it came from the factory like that. The front bumper was pretty cool on it too, I had never seen a 99 before.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you found a exhaust system for it yet? The only ones I can find are the borla (too much $$) and pacesetter. My friend that has one did cutouts until he can find one or fab his own.

I saw a 99 vr4 at a meet last weekend, it had a evo style wing on it and the owner said it came from the factory like that. The front bumper was pretty cool on it too, I had never seen a 99 before.
There are many exhausts out there, but I will be leaving the stock cat back and going with a catless downpipe, and a mid pipe from IPS with a built in quick time performance electric cutout valve.

The 99's are the only ones that came with a fixed rear wing other than the spyders. Mitsubishi was cutting costs on that last year of production.

Keith

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sooooo...how do you like it so far next to the Evo?
Totally different driving experiance. At this point the Spyder is a cruiser great for top down driving and enjoying the sun. Very comfortable and fun to drive with enough power to handle the 4000+ lbs. In the future I may end up with many power mods to it, but I don't really plan on drag racing it much.

Keith

1 - 20 of 22 Posts