Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided I was 'almost' there in terms of how I wanted to setup my car for its stock turbo build and thought It'd be nice to check the progress of the car. So.. Off to Bandi I go.. I am heading to the track today for the Coy's Custom something or other Street car challenge or something. It's some bracket racing. But I'm not there to bracket race :shhh:

I'm heading to to get some decent times. Hopefully on this combo of parts:

Stock airbox w/ Blitz drop-in filter
Stock, unported EVO IX turbo
Nisei Upper & Lower IC Pipes
AMS FMIC
AMS 3" TBE, Catless
Cosworth Cams
Unorthodox Cam Gear (Exhaust cam only)
Hallman Pro MBC
Forge RS BOV
STOCK CLUTCH! :thumbdown

And of course my own tuning via a reflashed stock ECU.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow.. Not a good day for me... I'm about beat from the 2 hours of sleep I got last night.. I'm going to catch some zzz's..

110deg track temps don't make for good times (anywhere even) not to mention up here where the air is so thin.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was beyond hot. Times sucked even though I still managed 107mph traps on 22psi. Stock clutch did 'ok' but didn't like the heat at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It was beyond hot. Times sucked even though I still managed 107mph traps on 22psi. Stock clutch did 'ok' but didn't like the heat at all.
Sounds like a low 13, high 12 sec pass. Still not overly bad given the mods and altitude.

Btw, how the heck are you running 22psi, up here? When I was Dynoflash'd, the most we could possibly boost was 19psi.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I ran at Bandi tonight, but had some problems. IC piping came off on the first run about when I shifted to 3rd. I fixed the UICP after that run and then ran again. Right when I took off on the 2nd run it happened again, only this time it wasn't the upper pipe and I didn't feel like trying to take of the underpanel to see where it was. I'm hoping this is the problem anyways... I drove home ok, but when I get into boost I can hear it leaking somewhere. I'm going to check it out more this Friday when I have time.

Here's what I got on the 1st run with the IC pipe coming off:
60' 2.054
330 5.774
1/8 8.964
MPH 79.42
1000 11.782
1/4 14.361
MPH 85.37

Obviously I let off a bit towards the end. What do you guys think I would've finished with if I didn't have any problems? This was my first time ever at a track. Still got a better time than most of the STIs there :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I drove home ok, but when I get into boost I can hear it leaking somewhere. I'm going to check it out more this Friday when I have time.

You need to take care or that boost leak ASAP! You are leaking metered air so your engine will run horrible and foul out the plugs and may cause damage to the O2 sensors eventually. Especially under vaccum conditions you engine is breathing unmetered dirty air that could possibly hurt your engine also.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah, the 1/8 mile may not have been full power either. Hopefully I can get a better 60' time next time too.

I replaced all my IC clamps with t-bolt clamps when I was putting on the LICP so I'm hoping I just didn't tighten them enough. Is there anything else recommended other than the t-bolt clamps to hold these pipes together?

Hopefully I'll get it all squared away tomorrow and probably run up at Bandimere next Wed.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Well, you don't even need t-bolt clamps, because the stock clamps aren't the problem. The problem is seating all the pipes properly and getting a nice seal. I still have my original, stock IC pipes, hoses, and clamps. They hold without popping off and without leaking boost now after 2.5 years of daily use and hard racing.

If yours popped off with the t-bolts, then again, that shows it's a problem not related to the clamps. Sometimes the pipe is still at an angle, or there just isn't a good deal. Use hairspray on the area between the beads so that it makes a nice, sticky seal, and be sure there are no angles when attaching the couplers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ok, I fixed the problem today. It was a semi-loose coupler between the IC and the UICP. Everything seems to be running good again.

Would someone be able to bring a boost leak tester to the meet tomorrow and show me how to test for leaks? Maybe we could have a "boost leak testing class" for those of us that have never done this before. I'd like to learn and make sure I don't have any leaks now that I've been messing with all the piping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts