Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So someone i know is selling these HKS 280's, will it give me unstable idle or will i be fine w/ them? I was going to go w/ the GSC 272's but he's offering me a pretty good deal on the 280's. I want to know if the 280's will be to aggressive for my daily driver. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
280s will be very lopey, but I don't consider it "unstable." They are typically too much for a normal daily driver, especially on the stock turbo, because they excel at high rpm where the stock turbo falters. They still can work fine, though, if you are getting a great deal, but that better mean you're getting them for less than $400, otherwise it's not any better than the GSCs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Since were on topic im considering some camshafts. What do you know about the new GSC S1 cams? i have plans of sticking with the stock turbo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup should be under 400 for sure, but should i grab the Fidanza cam gears too or are they unnecessary?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Yup, I reaserched for a long time befor getting the adjustable cam gears with my HKS 272's and when I move up to a high lift cam with no cam gear data available I will be putting the stock cam gears back on the car.

Keith

·
Registered
137 Posts
Fourdoor, how well do 272 cams (HKS) run on a stock VIII? I just have an intake and 3" turboback. Just want more torque in pre-boost and on-boost, stuff horsepower

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Fourdoor, how well do 272 cams (HKS) run on a stock VIII? I just have an intake and 3" turboback. Just want more torque in pre-boost and on-boost, stuff horsepower
They are not going to help in the "pre-boost" area of your power curve, more in the mid to upper RPM range.

Keith

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you're wanting torque start spraying a 35-50 shot at 3500 rpm. :) Then enjoy the rest of the results on up to 7k-7.2k rpm. :rocks:

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Fourdoor, what about 264 deg cams?

HKS?
Jun?
Tomei Poncams?
Nope, Nope, Nope, and Nope.

Cams are not for low end torque production.

If you want a bump in low end torque you need a displacment increase (2.3 liter, 2.4 liter etc) or you need to go to a smaller than stock turbocharger that will spool up earlier in the power band.

You may be one of those people that would be truley happier with a Camaro or Mustang.

Keith

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not really. Drove them and personally am not impressed. Won't say any more than that

Have ordered a set of HKS272 cams. Will see how they run on a mail-in flash from Jestr since there are no custom tuners in the UAE.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Well, the HKS 272s will definitely work well, but they don't work better than other cams that cost $100 less. Any 272 will be good in terms of overall power, especially up top, but they won't meet your need of low-end and pre-boost torque. I think once you have them in with a retune, you'll be pleased, though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Roger that. I'm getting them at a good price from an old friend. HKS 272 cams only, no retainers, no springs, no cam gears.

Warr, I've been reading up on the cam gears and have been told they help increase the overlap. However, in the absence of a custom tuners here, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to get the cam gears unless Al is able to help me with the cam gear settings and the tune. Can you check and let me know?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I would not mess with cam gears unless you know how you want to set them (they do nothing unless set to specific negative or positive degree settings) and can get custom tuned for it. 272s work great just as they are...

Al could help you if you wanted to get the cam gears and setup them to something special, but the most common setting for 272s that I have seen is -4/-1, which is built to maximize TOP END at the expense of low-end. I don't think that's what you want.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So warr, the cams i got weren't used at all brand new in the box, since he was running 272's on his old evo, but sold it. The 280's were supposed to be for an upgrade gt35 but since he sold the car he didn't need the cams. I've read a good setup for the camgears would be +1/-1. What do you think warr? I'm planning on getting a 20g from FP or a 50trim this summer so i didn't want to end up buying 272's and regretting it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No dyno access here. It belongs to the school. Probably going to go w/ a fellow evo owner and do it on the road possibly. Also flash after the install.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts