Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have one of these catback exhausts? i was looking for reviews but couldnt find any.. i heard a sound clip at wot, and from a start and it sounded pretty good.. looks good too, but is it the most bang for the buck when it comes to performance?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Anything that's Titanium is the least bang for the buck. It costs more than a full stainless steel TBE and makes half the power. There are no power gains from Titanium, and sometimes they make less power due to not being full 3" while also being much louder. However, they usually save around 8lbs over stainless steel.

I recommend getting a good stainless steel exhaust like the Buschur or Megan.

·
Registered
86 Posts
easy solution:

buy magnaflow high flow cat
buy magnaflow muffler
go to muffler shop
have them make a custom 3" exhaust
get flanges welded on
bolt on exhaust

if you know how to weld, you could almost do it yourself, almost

make tons of power for very little money

(i hear this is essentially a bushur exhaust, but why pay the markup when you can get it for so much cheaper doing it yourself?)

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Hah, no, it doesn't make more power. They all make the same power unless they have a major restriction. Sounding better is of course a matter of perspective, but one thing you can't argue is that the immense expense of a TI is not worth making the same power when that money could go towards a set of cams or something similar.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
bretthejet26 said:
... but is it the most bang for the buck when it comes to performance?
No, but it is the lightest and it breaks down like this;
Titanium = $$$ = least amount of weight
304 stainless = $$ = some weight
Aluminized steel = $ = heaviest

Are you looking to build a daily driver, dyno queen, a beast at the track... ? How much buck do you have?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
turbolarry said:
No, but it is the lightest and it breaks down like this;
Titanium = $$$ = least amount of weight
304 stainless = $$ = some weight
Aluminized steel = $ = heaviest

Are you looking to build a daily driver, dyno queen, a beast at the track... ? How much buck do you have?

this will be a daily driver. thanks for all of your input, i have had buschur products before and i was quite pleased so maybe i will get something from them.. i had the 2.5''dp and catback on my 1990 gsx.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
bretthejet26 said:
... i have had buschur products before and i was quite pleased so maybe i will get something from them.. i had the 2.5''dp and catback on my 1990 gsx.
I had Buschur's stuff for my 2g too, had no complaints then, so I got the 2.5" downpipe for the Evo. :thumbdown It's not the same quality they put into the DSM stuff. The slip fit at the O2 sensor sucks, cheap hardware, poor finish and it was a bitch to install. I've swaped it out.
In my opinon Buschur is just cranking stuff out now and cashing in on the Evo with the reputation earned with DSM's. They are definately not putting the the same time into parts as they used to. :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
heres how i look at a Ti system.

stainless is heavier, that means the overall CG of the car is lower than it is with the Ti. however the heavier mass, menas that the car has more inertia (unwillingness to turn).

im sure you could do an analysis and show one of those is slightly better.

like warr said, an exhaust system is an exhaust system, it wont make or break you. but my gerry-rigged exhuast that is proposed would be ~$300, leaving like $500 under a greddy Ti. $500 puts you into a free set of cams (basically).

now the Ti might make more power than my hack job, but it sefinately wont make more than the hackjob with cams.

regarding the sound. whats the greddy Ti at, 98dB? 100dB? in CA you can get popped for 93dB no problem because it is at the officer's discresion, eventhough the law is 95dB. sure you can fight it, by going to the ref and having it measured, then take that paper to the judge and pay the court fee. i dont know about you, but i have a very nice turbo that he and the ref dont need to know about.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I'm in agreement with Matt here, but was unaware that the BR quality was considered shoddy. There are tons upon tons of Evos running extremely fast with his exhaust. I have the newest version, it is very well made, and it fits perfectly while including the awesome new Bullet muffler, too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
well i got the hks carbon ti exhaust and wow it sounds really loud and deep, I barely installed it like couple of days ago and not that much longer a cop pull me over for my blue hid lights and said my exhaust is way to loud........so i told him it was factory tuned and my car came with hids but i changed the bulb he let me go and told me to go stock and stock its the best LOL

·
Registered
107 Posts
The hks exhausts are a pita. Im glad you enjoy yours but you will, not maybe, you will get a burnt bumper after a while. It sits dangerously close to the side and tend to settle into a place very close to the drive shaft that the resonator tends to rub on the carrier bearing from time to time. I have heard they were going to try and rectify this but I dont think its happened yet. If you call there tech support they state its only for cars with out the acd. Plus you get a neck down at the cat and the resonator necks down internally. Not the best for power production. But it does look bad ass out the back.

·
Registered
107 Posts
turbolarry said:
I had Buschur's stuff for my 2g too, had no complaints then, so I got the 2.5" downpipe for the Evo. :thumbdown It's not the same quality they put into the DSM stuff. The slip fit at the O2 sensor sucks, cheap hardware, poor finish and it was a bitch to install. I've swaped it out.
In my opinon Buschur is just cranking stuff out now and cashing in on the Evo with the reputation earned with DSM's. They are definately not putting the the same time into parts as they used to. :(
I couldnt be anymore in agreeance with you larry. That dp was terrible. It seems they put alot more thought into the dsm stuff while lately it looks like they just crank it out to be first to the market. Not saying they dont make power but a little nod to quality wouldnt hurt.

A while back, I think it was turbo magazine, did a shoot out on exhaust systems and the greddy ti produced more dyno power than all the other exhausts. I think it was 3 more than the next competitiors. Reason being not that its titanium but that it was a full 3 1/8 inch piping with zero neck downs internally or externally. Most all prefabbed exhaust have a neck down inside at there resonators and/or they neck at the cat. Necking at the cat wont matter if your sticking with a stock cat, but for guys with 3 inch tp and hi flows this hurts. Ill have to look around and see if I can find the article and post it up here for you guys.

I think matt has the best idea, being that if you dont care about the look of your exhaust and just want something to go fast with, making your own exhaust is a good idea. Reminds me of the dsm days. You could easily build something like buschurs exhaust, yet cost less. Though there are things to think about with the use of aluminized steel versus stainless steel. Aluminized steel tends to be a poor heat retainer. It radiates more heat and in the case of a dp will radiate directly into your oil pan which isnt good for oil temps. And technically, while probably not a large measurable quality, will hurt exhaust gas flow as it will heat the pipe more instead of going out the back faster. Stainless would be a better choice for those reasons which would in turn drive the cost up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
One thing on the Ti exhausts's they get brittel when heated for long periods and if you live in california the po po will bust you. Im not so sure its the exhaust db's themselves just that you drive a way better car than them lol. One bit of advice stay legal cat converter wise i think super street did the dyno test's with a cat and with a test pipe. Turns out testpipes are only good for about one more horse than a three in high flow cat, just a little bit of knowledge i wanted to contribute lol

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Super Street??? Hmmm... :rolleyes: Different strokes for different folks.
I've ran a stock cat, a high flow cat, and a test pipe; I'll never run a cat on a turbo car again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts