Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm used to driving my 1995 tsi and when i'd shift the gears in that car while racing or at WOT i'd pound it into the next gear with no worries. I had an ACT 2100 clutch with a lightweight flywheel and lsd and I never had any tranny problems and I drove the car until almost 90k. Now I've never went balls out in my evo yet but i've gotten on it from a first gear roll twice. Hell I have never even launched it and definitely never took it past 6800 rpms. Now when I really get on it from a
1st gear roll I shift quickly into 2nd I can hear the rear end thump. Obviously it's a delayed thump as the rear end locks but is this normal or should I shift softer? I'm not used to all wheel drive and it's definitely less forgiving than my fwd dsm. I'm becoming a bit hestant with going balls out because from what it seems the evo's have weak trannies as compared to the 1st or
2nd gen dsm's. I've been trying to rev match perfectly while down shifting and have only had it perfect a couple times. I'm just worreid this tranny is not going to hold up very long unless it's babied.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I shift normally when daily driving, but when drag racing, I snapshift the 1-2, and it always nails the rear diff with a loud clunk. I then half-lift on the 2-3 and no-lift on the 3-4. Sometimes, depending on the timing, I will get the same rear diff clunk on the 2-3. I like to avoid that if at all possible, so I try to save it for the track...

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
is it all the time or just very low RPMS like cruising around a parking lot? Mine will clunk at Parking lot speeds very rare for me though. Some of them make a lot of noise. does your tranny shift smooth every gear at any RPM?

·
Administrator
88 Posts
Try Blipping the throttle between the shifts that make noise. It will match the RPMs better and hopefully if you get it right, no more clunk. It is a normal thing.

Nadeem

·
Registered
11 Posts
I shift my evo hard and soft!!!! Yum yummm!! WEEEE!!

Just kidding.

Shift at 2.5-3k, rev match if needed to be, and drive it normally how you would if you drive daily on the streets / freeways and track days, WEEEEEEEE!!! Drive like a dumb ass, heel toe all day on those corners going 80+ (if needed to be) and have super fun! [:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts