Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so first of before I get to the problem this past Saturday the 23rd I put my evo on the track and hit an 11 sec. 1/4 mile it was a high 11 but an 11 (11.946) @ 111.279 mph reaction time of .100 and a 60 foot of 1.621 and missed shifting into 4th gear :thumb:

Ok now the problem and this has me boggled. While I am driving my evo when shifting between gears the excess pressure from the turbo isn't going through the bov well some of it is I can still hear it blowing off but it seems like a-lot of it is staying in the motor because the rpms will go from 3k-7k with out any throttle. Does any body know what this may be? I checked all vacuum lines and the accelerator for sticking and I cant figure it out. Any and all input at this point would really help because I am really stuck on this.

Derek :dsm:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AS a mater a fact I did burn it up pretty bad at the track, but it is still holding. I have not felt any slipping from it but it is possible.

Derek:dsm:

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
renoevo8 said:
... While I am driving my evo when shifting between gears the excess pressure from the turbo isn't going through the bov well some of it is I can still hear it blowing off but it seems like a-lot of it is staying in the motor...
Adjust the greddy valve and see if it works.
Nice times.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Are you sure it's not slipping, or do you just not know what it feels like? I can't imagine any other way for your RPMs to shoot up without the car accelerating. Just to be sure, take the car on the highway, put it in 5th gear at 2000rpm, then floor it. Just keep it floored and watch what happens when you hit full boost. If the RPMs shoot up unnaturally without the car accelerating fast, then the RPMs fall back down, the clutch catches, and you accelerate normally, then it's the clutch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will do that tomorrow on my way home from work. Thanks for the advice !!!! Well now that I think about it the clutch has over 1,200 miles of drag racing on it and this past saturday at the track you could smell the clutch a mile a-way so i am strongly leaning twords the clutch as well. I will let you know soon thanks!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Warrtalon said:
If the RPMs shoot up unnaturally without the car accelerating fast, then the RPMs fall back down, the clutch catches, and you accelerate normally, then it's the clutch.
All this happend except for the rpms going back down. Although I did fell some thing wierd in the pedal I dont really know how to describe it, it just does not feel right so I went to adjust the pedal and it was not needed. The pedal was fine.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
So the RPMs shoot up without the car accelerating, but then they never fall back down when the clutch catches? Sounds to me like it's so far gone that the clutch isn't able to grab at all under boost. If that's the case, then the car may not be drivable at all in a few days...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree the car has been parked in my storage unit since last night and I am getting ready to in stall a new clutch. I picked up an ACT 6puck sprung hub I know its not the best but I cant afford anything better right now. Any tips to make this pain in the @ss job easier.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
The 6 puck is going to grab like no tomorrow. Be ready.
As far as making it easier; get every 12, 14, and 17mm socket you can find and the deep ones. Then get a hold of all your 3/8ths and 1/2 inch extentions you have... then grab your neighbor's. Two jacks (or one and a tranny jack), the smallest slide hammer from Harbor Freight, a breaker bar, one small and one medium sized pry bars. Racheting wrenches with the flex head in 17 and 14mm (esp. if your going to do the clutch line!). A torque wrench that goes to 168 (+/-20) ft. lbs. for the axel nuts and some steel stock to brace against the lugs. A flywheel wrench or drill some holes on some scrap to hold the flywheel in place.
I may say that I would never do again, but I think I'm just venting. It is a very difficult job and it will beat you down. Have a friend with experience help you. Getting the tranny in out is not a one man job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the the advice! I personaly dont want to do this job but with my automotive knoledge is when you know how to do something dont spend $800-$900.00 to have a shop do it.........But it almost sounds worth it. I will be taking detailed photos while I am doing this job and will post as soon as I finish the job. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice on this Mostly warrtalon and turbolarry.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
It is worth it. It's just me who can't do it right. :cry:
Take some pictures. I did, and took a lot, but I'm kinda hesitant to put a write up together till I get this strange noise thing figured out and find out what I did wrong. :eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you re-surface the flywheel?? I had wierd noises from my 2g cause I didnt re-surface it. It was almost a metal on metal finger nail on chaulk bord type deal. Oh yea one more question I hears that the factory pressure plate is excellent would it be ok to retain this part????

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
I threw in a new flywheel. My stocker go cooked and made a hot spot that weared the disk unevenly.
I wouldn't keep it. It's only rated at 2200 lbs. of clamping force. It's crossed my mind to throw in a pucked disk with it, but after seeing the condition of the pressure plates friction ring it wouldn't have been worth the rebuild cost. I went with a whole kit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts