Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this intercoolers in the march 14, 2006 super street mag the ultimate buyers guide. This are also on the mach v website I was planing to get the 24"x12"x3" and the price is $250 are this prity good intercoolers or has any one heard anything about them. I was planing to get one to complete my intercooler kit.

Here is the link: http://www.machevo.com/diyinco.html

·
Registered
107 Posts
That looks suspiciously like the one larry tried to rock on his evo. Fitment was terrible and the quality of the metal was below subpar. The thing looks like it costs only $250. I would file this one under the "you get what you pay for category". If larrys around maybe he can chime in on this one.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Yea, it's definately one of the Chinese cores.
The pros; as long as the turbo isn't being pushed out of it's effiecency they work. They're cheap. The end tanks are good.
The cons; Quality. China is cranking these things out as fast as they can and the furnace brazing isn't good. In it's regualr state you really can't notice, but anodize it and you'll see all the contamination. In this photo eveywhere the dye didn't take is where brasing ran over, patched up, or what ever; it's bad.
Fitment. These are by no means direct fit intercoolers. Mounting it isn't to bad, but break out the grinder, box of mandrel bends, a chop saw, and the welder. It will require custom piping and cutting a chunk out of bumper/crash beam.
If you really want to do a good DIY intercooler pic up a quality core (Griffin/Spearco) or just stick with the stocker;
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/intercoolers.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I had my doubts about that intercooler which is why I havent purchased it. I will just get the buschur intercooler later when I do more mods to my car. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Might I suggest looking at the xs core? They fit like a glove and use a high efficiency griffing core. Not to mention there end tanks are cast for better flow. I think its a good compromise between price and performance. Alot of people have been pretty happy with the r spec core from greddy as well. I would take a look at it as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts