Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, lets just say I do get an 06' Evo instead of an 06 GTO.... I would plan on getting an in car fire extinguisher. Why ? well .... I have heard of enough stories of the Turbo's getting way too hot and starting fires. So I thought better be safe then sorry. So the fire extinguisher I am looking at costs like $18.00 which isnt too bad. Here's my question .... Where should I mount it ? I was thinking possibly on the right side of the drive right near the center console , but down near the floor. Why ? well because if there is a fire , it is in easy reach for me. Any suggestions ?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Unless you plan on cooking stuff on your exhaust manifold, your turbocharger is not going to light anything on fire. If you still want one for apearance reasons this is not the place to be asking about it.

Keith

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dude

Dude, I know somebody that had a turbo on their GTO and right as he started pulling into his garage it started on fire. Luckily he was already out of his car and ran into his house and grabbed a fire extinguisher to put the fire out. So it does happen. Just because you didn't see it or hear it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. And with the comment on just an excuse to do a ricer fire extinguisher mod ..... Yeah , pal.... I can't stand ricers nor will I ever become one. It is called safety measures.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Evo500 said:
Dude, I know somebody that had a turbo on their GTO and right as he started pulling into his garage it started on fire. Luckily he was already out of his car and ran into his house and grabbed a fire extinguisher to put the fire out. So it does happen. Just because you didn't see it or hear it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. And with the comment on just an excuse to do a ricer fire extinguisher mod ..... Yeah , pal.... I can't stand ricers nor will I ever become one. It is called safety measures.
Wow, that sucks about your friends car. It is all about safety. I am thinking about one also. I am not a ricer either. Just being on the track without one is kinda scary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
exactly

Exactly. It is always about safety measures. I mean it wouldnt be sticking out like a sore thumb, it would be down near my feet ... somewheres. And if I say I want to put a spoiler on my car, it doesn't mean I am a ricer, it just means thats what I want to do to my car. I don't go flying past someone and do the ricer flashers or four ways. Having a extinguisher in a car is safe anyways. I mean what if you get into an accident and you are involved ? what if there is a fire ?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Jaymzz is talking about road racing, not daily driving, and he's not referring to a turbo-caused fire. An $18 extinguisher isnt going to put out a fire anyway. Maybe if you had more than one year of driving experience, you'd have a better understanding of things. If it made sense to have extinguishers in daily driven cars, they'd come with one. You know it can explode in an accident, right?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Actually, I daily drive mine, along with the track. I am a bodyman by trade. I see alot of stuff coming through the bodyshop. That is the reason I am thinking of putting one in my car. You never know when it could come in handy. I have been in car fires. A basic fire extinguisher can help in many cases.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dude

Dude, I am gonna in some of my spare time I am gonna go to some open circuits and race, you know when the road course has a open day. Who knows that fire extinguisher was the only one I looked at. Maybe I am gonna get a bigger one... I have done only a little looking into extinguishers. I also plan on doing some drag strips.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
If you are going to race, which you didn't mention, then maybe keep one in the car WHILE racing, but open track days are by no means racing anyway. Otherwise, it's not needed, and most of us don't even have one for racing. It's simply not necessary, can be an explosion hazard, and in most cases, they are too small to be even remotely effective. Most who use one for racing are cars that are more prone to fires and have a lot of the fire protection materials in the car removed.

Jay, I daily drive mine, too, but you only referenced needing it when racing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unless you're going to put a 20lb CO2 bottle and a 20lb dry chem bottle in your trunk, any of those small bottles are next to useless. I have emptied a 500 gallon tank on an engine to put out some car fires, and if you don't know what you're doing with the bottle, you may be just putting yourself and others in danger trying to fight the fire. Feel free to get the tiny bottle if you want the 'look', but otherwise leave the fire business to the professionals.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Hmmm...
GTO's with turbos catch on fire.
Evo's that come with a turbo stock don't.
That's just another reason to buy the Evo. :laugh:
At least your not this guy;

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Lol if for some reason my evo were to catch on fire..... there is now way I would try to spray it out with a something the size of an air freshener..... Oh well thats why you have insurance right? Dude for real get the evo not the gto and dont worry about the rest!:thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts