Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after 3 years of abuse my Magnus Motorsports sheet metal intake manifold exploded!

I mean that quite literally. I was driving home from work Friday morning, and got on it in 1st gear. Just as I was shifting to 2nd I heard a pop and figured I just bumped the rev limiter on the shift.... but the revs hit the limiter and stayed there..... I hit the gas pedal and let off (figuring it was a stuck throttle) and when that didn't work I shut off the car and pulled over. Feeling around under the hood (5:30 AM, pitch black) I couldn't find anything wrong with the throttle body, so I felt around a bit more and found that the intake manifold was compleatly destroyed!

I will post up some pics ASAP.

Now the good news. I called Dave at Buschur Racing and he overnighted a ported stock manifold to me. I installed it yesterday and the car is once again drivable. The injector O-rings (into the manifold, not the small ones at the fuel rail) are shot, so I will not be doing any "high performance" driving untill next Friday when I can get a chance to replace them... but at least the car is drivable back and forth to work in the mean time.

Later,

Keith

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Sorry to hear about the set back, but think of it this way...
you can literally say you blew the welds on your intake! :laugh:
How much boost was this thing seeing on a regualr basis?

PS
After looking at the last picture a little more closely, it looks as if there was minimal penetration of the weld bead on the bottom plate with the velosity stacks???

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The weld penetration was good. The Manifold was seeing 30 psi on a regular basis.

I think that the Methonal may have attacked the welds over time.

Keith

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wow I thought that line from F&F was just a bunch of crap, sorry to see that happen though at least there wasn't any further damage.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Crazy man, thats a pretty cool way to kill a mani. Glad you were able to get back on your feet so fast and there wasnt any other damage. Is magnus going to take care of you on the mani or are you on your own?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I havn't talked to Magnus yet since it is the weekend, but the manifold only had a 1 year warrenty and I have had it for over 3 years so I don't expect much if anything out of them. I have no hard feelings for Magnus over this.

Keith

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wouldnt say Im sold on the stocker. Smoggy you run ams turbo kit and they show gains on the car with an aftermarket mani with there turbo kit. Its a viable part to make more power. For it to last three years and with methanol I dont think is that bad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
evomrguy said:
I wouldnt say Im sold on the stocker. Smoggy you run ams turbo kit and they show gains on the car with an aftermarket mani with there turbo kit. Its a viable part to make more power. For it to last three years and with methanol I dont think is that bad.
Yeah, I hear ya. If a bunch of cash comes my way, I'd love to see what kind of gains I could get at the same boost and air/fuel ratio with: Cosworth head, jun cams or equivalent, an AMS Intake Manifold, and a larger throttle body.

So Keith: What are you going to replace the mani with?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At this point I am going to stick with the ported stock unit. If I get another aftermarket manifold it would be the HKS Kansai Service manifold.... but that would be after winning the lottery :)

Keith

·
Registered
107 Posts
That kansai manifold is pure sex. I dream about that mani. Too bad its such a pita to fit. Not to mention the cost of it and the cost of the q45 tbody you gotta run with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts