Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Im looking to sell my 99 gst and get an evo. I have some questions about them. I know that the 05 evo makes more power then the previous years, what did they change? Also are there any other differences between 03, 04 and 05? How do the tranies hold up after several hard launches? The clutch? Are there any know defects with them?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
szeikus said:
Hi all,

Im looking to sell my 99 gst and get an evo. I have some questions about them. I know that the 05 evo makes more power then the previous years, what did they change? Also are there any other differences between 03, 04 and 05? How do the tranies hold up after several hard launches? The clutch? Are there any know defects with them?

Thanks,
Steve
You looking for new or used, and what part of Ill you in? I am in West Indiana right at the Ill border and looking to sell my 03 EVO is why I am asking :)

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Evo's that were produced after June of 04 (??? I have to double check the month) came with a 10.5 cm2 turbine housing. Previous models had 9.8cm2. More exhaust flow, more top end power.
Some have had problems with syncros, but it's taken care of under warranty.
I can't speak about tranny and clutches. No launches or racing for me so I've had no problems. :D
Before you sell your GS-T, take off all electronics, gauges, boost controller, AFC. All the stuff transfers over. I cam from a 97 GS-T, did this, and saved some money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
if you launch hard dont expect more than 4000 miles out of a stock clutch. the clutch on my 04 just went out. it has 3500 miles. it has been to the drag strip once and auto-xed twice. but other than the clutch i think everything else is pretty beefy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fourdoor said:
You looking for new or used, and what part of Ill you in? I am in West Indiana right at the Ill border and looking to sell my 03 EVO is why I am asking :)

Keith

Sorry, but I am looking to buy one without work done, plus I am getting it from my sisters fiances dealership.

Another question, since the hood has an area cut out does the car have to be garage kept during the winter?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
if you look closely at the hood youll see it has a plastic vent under the 'hole.' this keeps most items out of the engine bay, ie snow. it would benefit the car, any car to be garaged however.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
turbolarry said:
Evo's that were produced after June of 04 (??? I have to double check the month) came with a 10.5 cm2 turbine housing. Previous models had 9.8cm2. More exhaust flow, more top end power.
Some have had problems with syncros, but it's taken care of under warranty.
I can't speak about tranny and clutches. No launches or racing for me so I've had no problems. :D
Before you sell your GS-T, take off all electronics, gauges, boost controller, AFC. All the stuff transfers over. I cam from a 97 GS-T, did this, and saved some money.

Yea I already started to pull some stuff out, I got the s-afc out and pocket logger (can it be used in evo's?), going to pull out the gauges and mbc this weekend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
evomike said:
if you launch hard dont expect more than 4000 miles out of a stock clutch. the clutch on my 04 just went out. it has 3500 miles. it has been to the drag strip once and auto-xed twice. but other than the clutch i think everything else is pretty beefy.

So it's safe to assume that I will have to change the clutch to maybe the ACT 2600 or something along those lines.

Ok that's good that it covers it, the car would be my daily driver and I do not have a garage so that is why I ask. Thanks for all your help.

Steve

·
Registered
100 Posts
Also the main difference between the 03-04's and the 05 evos is the 05's have the introduction of the MR (mitsubishi racing) which has lighterweight BBS wheels, 6spd tranny, and the vortex generator(which is also an optional item on the evo VIII GSR). Also, The 05 models have the Active Center Differential. They have the Tarmac, Gravel and Snow functions. Basically, if any of your wheels start to slip, the ACD will transfer the power to that wheel...making the car pretty much do what ever you want it to once you learn how to drive it well :D . Unless you drive the car hard through turns (like in AutoX) you probably wont know the difference. Im not really sure if the ACD makes a huge difference during drag launches..ive only dragged two cars..and one was my evo, one was rwd so big difference there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
turbosmartevo8 said:
Also the main difference between the 03-04's and the 05 evos is the 05's have the introduction of the MR (mitsubishi racing) which has lighterweight BBS wheels, 6spd tranny, and the vortex generator(which is also an optional item on the evo VIII GSR). Also, The 05 models have the Active Center Differential. They have the Tarmac, Gravel and Snow functions. Basically, if any of your wheels start to slip, the ACD will transfer the power to that wheel...making the car pretty much do what ever you want it to once you learn how to drive it well :D . Unless you drive the car hard through turns (like in AutoX) you probably wont know the difference. Im not really sure if the ACD makes a huge difference during drag launches..ive only dragged two cars..and one was my evo, one was rwd so big difference there.
Thanks for the Info, Im going to look at an 05 next saturday and if everything goes to plan I will most likely drive it home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
turbosmartevo8 said:
best choice you will ever make!! :thumb: ...except for maybe buying an 06...except i dont like the whole mivec thing! ;) . (Or the wheels!!)
I personally don't like the wheels or the front end.

·
Registered
6 Posts
05's had a recall recently on a turbo coolant hose. The 05's are rated at 276hp instead of 271hp. The 03 and 04's have an intercooler sprayer and andjustable hid's. These were not offered on the 05's, The 05's also have a LSD front diff. with helical cut gears and the ACD system as mentioned before. They also have a rev limiter that limits hard launched to 5k rpm (this is mitsubishi's response to a weak clutch). I had an 04' and I now have an 05' and the differences are small, but the 05' feels like a better built car (tranny shifts smoother less sqeaks and rattles, etc...). both cars are incredible and you can't really go wrong with an Evo. Just check used ones thoroughly for signs of abuse.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
evo8kiko said:
Yeah I love my 05. but I still dont know if it has and I/C sprayer. And yes the HID's are adjustable.
If it has an active center diff (like all 05's) it does not have an intercooler sprayer.

Keith

1 - 18 of 18 Posts