Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to these forums. I have recently become intersted in tuning.
My favorite car to date is the Lancer EvoIII and EvoIX.

I will probably go with the EvoIII.
What I was wondering is.. What are the differences between the 03,04,05 EvoIII.

Also
Looking for some information on the basic's of tuning. Like where to start and other information working up to the more advance tuning.

When I purchase and EvoIII, I plan on dropping quite a bit of money on it. Putting in a Turbo Upgrade Kit, Exhaust, Body Kit, Spoiler, Injecters etc...

But was just wondering where I would be able to get basic information on this stuff as I don't want to go blindy purchase everything.

Thanky You.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
You actually mean the Evo VIII (8). These are not legal in Canada in case you didn't know that, but here are the answers to your questions:

03/04 are the same except that the RS was released in 04. The RS is the stripped down race-only version with no A/C or power windows/doors/locks, and no sound deadening nor a wing. It is the lightest version of the Evo, has no HIDs, but it DOES have the front LSD, which is very important. I think 04 was when they started offering the sun, sound, and leather (SSL) package.

05 - Top of the line MR model was released that had Bilstein shocks, lightweight forged 17.7lb BBS rims, aluminum roof, vortex generator, 6spd tranny with teflon-coated shifter cables, and all the MR badging and floor mats. All 4 models in 05 (RS, GSR, GSR w/SSL, MR) got a larger exhaust housing on the turbo, a front LSD, and Active Center Differential (ACD) with tarmac/gravel/snow modes. 05s generally put down about 15-20whp more than 03/04s in stock form.

Basics of tuning? Well, even though you say "basics," that is too broad. You can tune yourself or have others tune you. You can reprogram the ECU, use a piggyback to intercept and manipulate the ECU signals, or you can get a complete standalone ECU that replaces your stock ECU. I prefer just to get a "flash," which is the method that reprograms your ECU without replacing it or splicing into it. You can get a flash for as little as $199 and gain no less than 20whp/20wtq (usually more). If by "tuning" you meant modding, then that's a different story. Tuning to me just means tuning the ECU (fuel and timing).

I can help you with modding, but are you sure you want to immediately upgrade the turbo and everything? The Evo can get up to 400whp on the stock turbo, which is a TON of power. Most people never even have a way to use that much power. Once you upgrade the turbo, it gets very expensive and much more problematic and unreliable. Also, the massive power starts to break drivetrain parts and get to be a pain in the butt. Plenty of people still do it, so you may still decide to, but I'd prefer you understand more about the Evo first before going crazy. I also highly recommend NOT getting a body kit. That is what you do to a Honda, but not usually an Evo. It needs no body kits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May I ask why these are illegal in canada?
Is there any possible to make them legal.

I also wanna learn more about it.
By tuning i meant Modding Sorry there.
Was just wondering where I could just learn the "Begginer" stuff about modding and basic evo info.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I don't know why it's illegal, but it is. That's why you don't see any in Canada. Google it, and I'm sure you can find out. No, it can't be made legal, but you may be able to get one of the really old Evo versions, but you'll need to research that within Canadian law.

To get an idea on beginner mods, go to our guided upgrade page here on EvoM in the Tech section:

http://www.evotuners.net/tech.php

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well since I live in Canada, I think that drops the Evo 8.
How about the Evo9, how does that compage? I assume its better because its 06, but thats not allways how it works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya I noticed that after searching through google.
Well that kinda sucks. Whats the difference between Evo and Non Evo. I know there's a substantional HP difference, like 100+.

Read up about apparently the Evo's dont pass the bumper test.
"I heard it's tricky to insure because of the front mounted intercooler=doesn't pass the 5mph front crash test."
and there was a bunch of other stuff about bumper tests.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts