Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup it's clutch time and I've kinda narrowed down my options to the two ACT clutches;
MB7-HDSS (506tq/36%+ clamp load, heavy duty)
and
MB7-XTSS (567tq/54%+ clamp load, Xtreme)
I don't go to the track, but I refuse to be late for work, and I'll take off from the light when properly motivated (rare). Based on my mods can I get a nod on one of these. They use the same organic discs and I'm fine with that. It's their torque ratings I'm wondering about. I'm thinking of going with the heavy duty, but I don't want sell myself short.
I'll be ditching the clutch fluid restrictor thingy too if that makes a difference between the two. :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Well, if I'm not mistaken, one is a 2900# PP and the other is 3100#. I had the HDSS, and I think it will hold all the power you'll give it. I did not like mine, but I race frequently, and it's not good for that (notorious for 7k rpm lockout). Mine lasted 9500 miles, and now I have an Exedy 4-puck. My 4-puck is awesome for racing and works fine for daily driving, but I usually don't recommend it to someone who doesn't race. I think the ACT HDSS will work fine for daily driving as long as you don't try to race or drive fast.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Warrtalon said:
I think the ACT HDSS will work fine for daily driving as long as you don't try to race or drive fast.
... and if I get time off from work, my wife agrees to have the kids all day, Jupiter lines up with Mars and I find myself at the 1/4 mile track, would I be better off with XTSS? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
...and it's not good for that (notorious for 7k rpm lockout)....
...Mine lasted 9500 miles...
You have to adjust the pedal to the very top just to avoid the lockout problem, but that is uncomfortable for driving/racing, and it led to premature wear in my case. It also kept me from shifting as fast as I like, but that was 100% remedied with my Exedy.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn it.
A buddy of mine is telling me to stay away from the organic styles too.
Exedy's Hyper single is back in the running.

·
Registered
35 Posts
larry...if youre gonna spend 1500 for an exedy single...might as well get a twin for a couple hundred more. who knows what kind of power mods are in your future anyhow hahaha good luck with the purchase/search!

T

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Warrtalon said:
The Exedy Twin HD is just $1450 shipped, and that includes the lightweight flywheel.
:laugh:
If money only grew on trees.
"Honey, I'm gonna skip the house payment this month..."

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
It's pretty rough but definitely grabs. I base this off a buddy of mine who runs 11.7s @ 117+ on his 04 with White Rabbit and meth. He does 4 wheel burnouts at 7k, then launches at 7k with basically a clutch dump and that thing takes the abuse with a smile. Not great for daily driving, though in terms of comfort. I forget, though, is their 6-puck sprung or unsprung? My Exedy 4-puck is sprung, which helps it remain somewhat docile for daily driving.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Oh, installed would be much more than that, I would think, unless you have someone local who does it for very cheap. The dealer will charge $1000, most speed shops $800, and a few rare places may do it for $600 at least in my experience living on the East Coast and now in CO after doing 2 clutch installs.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Warrtalon said:
... I forget, though, is their 6-puck sprung or unsprung? My Exedy 4-puck is sprung, which helps it remain somewhat docile for daily driving.
The six puck is sprung... like me. :sneaky:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Me and a buddy of mine just installed my Exedy Twin a couple weeks ago. Let me tell you, it's a world of difference. If you don't want to worry about messing with your clutch again, go with the Twin. I wasn't trying to spend that kind of cash either, but I decided that the alternative, purchasing another clutch, was worse.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Warrtalon said:
Oh, installed would be much more than that, I would think, unless you have someone local who does it for very cheap. The dealer will charge $1000, most speed shops $800, and a few rare places may do it for $600 at least in my experience living on the East Coast and now in CO after doing 2 clutch installs.

$400 from Buschur :)

Keith

1 - 20 of 25 Posts