Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K&N drop in filter is about the same price as the Buschur racing evolution air filter kit $80. what would you get and are there any cons? :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
K&N drops in and you don't have to get tuned. The buschur piece replaces the whole stock air box and you'll have to get tuned for that. Both have their advantages/disadvantages.

Jared

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've been thinking about picking one of these up before my tune in late May. I decided that if I do get one, I'm going to go for the Buschur filter. It's supposed to give slightly better gains over the K&N, and I can build on it later down the line by adding the piping for the full intake.

By the way, you can get the K&N from Amazon for under $55, and you get free shipping as well, so take that into consideration:

Direct link for the filter on Amazon

As I said though, I'd personally still go for the Buschur one for it's slightly better power gains and easy upgradibility down the line. Plus, not having to deal with re-oiling the filter is a big positive as well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm not sure about the whole myth of K&N filters screwing up your MAF but it was enough to sway me towards buschurs filter solution.

Jared

·
Registered
71 Posts
Geese if you want a K&N I will sell you mine, it only has about 2k miles on it. I have recently purchase the Buschur's to go with my new Intercooler Piping.

I can let it go for $45.00 shipped. PM me if you want it.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I'm not sure about the whole myth of K&N filters screwing up your MAF but it was enough to sway me towards buschurs filter solution.

Jared
There's not a myth - you're just confused between the two K&N products: the drop-in filter and the Typhoon. The drop-in is no problem other than you have to be sure it doesn't drop oil down onto the MAF. The Typhoon is the worst possible intake you can use on the Evo along with the Ebay Blue Intake of Death. The cone filter on the Typhoon is not a problem really, but the MAF pipe is horrid.

With any open-air intake, you need a retune.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tuning?

There's not a myth - you're just confused between the two K&N products: the drop-in filter and the Typhoon. The drop-in is no problem other than you have to be sure it doesn't drop oil down onto the MAF. The Typhoon is the worst possible intake you can use on the Evo along with the Ebay Blue Intake of Death. The cone filter on the Typhoon is not a problem really, but the MAF pipe is horrid.

With any open-air intake, you need a retune.
basically you need a tune with every above average upgrade? I heard a rumor that you could reset your ecu or settings if you just unplug your battery. How much would a tune cost and could or should I wait to tune it after a few mods? let me know. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I don't know what an "above average upgrade is," but no, you don't have to tune for everything. You have tune for things that significant affect air/fuel and boost. An open-air filter has a drastic effect on airflow volume and how the air behaves when entering the MAF. This is why an intake requires a tune.

There's no rumor about resetting your ECU. You can unplug the negative terminal for a few mins, then reconnect it, and the ECU resets. This doesn't really do anything related to this topic.

A tune will cost anywhere from $50-750, depending on the tuner and type of tune.

You should wait to tune after a few mods only if you plan to do those mods in a short timespan. Otherwise, you should get tuned right away - it's the most important mod.

·
Registered
256 Posts
didnt see that on the site. ill have to email him. i got a buschur cone filter and need a little reflash action. hesitation in 2nd and 3rd gear ftl.

i took it off till i can get it tuned.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The only thing I don't like about my buschur intake is its freaking loud when winding through the gears. For all the little ricer boys who replace the bov's to hear the PSSST, this works just as well :p . I've managed to "tune myself" to ignore it. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
The sound is annoying but no mod on my car motivated me to get a radio more than the whine of the Walboro pump. Making more power just makes more noise but that's a tradeoff that anyone who mods has to deal with.

Jared

·
Registered
71 Posts
Got my Buschur MAF Pipe and Filter today, along with my Kevlar timing Belt! I want to put it on so bad but I need to wait until the 8th when I am getting tuned. I feel like a kid in a candy store with parts laying around but cannot put them on! it's so frustrating!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ha, join the club my friend. Buschur FMIC, ported & coated manifold/o2, SS clutchline Buschur shifter bushings, B&M short shifter all sitting in my closet. Just waiting for it to stop raining here and snowing WTF?

Jared

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
final decision

Ok, What would be the best air filter, cone filter, name brand to get as of right now? I'm going to make my final decision based on y'alls experiences and knowledge. Going to purchase one as soon as I get a solid response. I know K&N is a good filter. So far i've only researched Buschur and i know they make good power. Ams? Any other? What do you recommend? Give me prices and results. Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
need new filter

I recommend not touching your intake. Why do you want one anyway? There are MUCH better ways to spend your money.
I'm in need of a new filter and the one I wanted was the K&N which was about 70-80 bucks. If I could find something better at the same price. I would go for it. Right now, I'm debating on either a ams k&N cone filter and adapter kit for 60 bucks or a buschur for 80. Im leaning more on the AMS. What do yall think? On another note.. the manual boost controller seems to be the most popular. Could I get one and up the boost a bit or lader. thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ha, join the club my friend. Buschur FMIC, ported & coated manifold/o2, SS clutchline Buschur shifter bushings, B&M short shifter all sitting in my closet. Just waiting for it to stop raining here and snowing WTF?

Jared

I know what you mean. I was supposed to be working on my car a couple of weeks ago, but then winter decided to stay a little longer. This will be the first nice weekend we've had since the brief warm spell at the end of March/beginning of April.

I'll probably be doing the work myself (my father-in-law, who would have been able to help me a couple of weeks ago, now has his weekends all booked up until June), but the plus side is that I'll now have access to the body shop at work for the full weekend, which means a lift, air tools, etc. :thumb:

If all goes well then, I'll be doing: Buschur TBE; Buschur LICP; Forge MBC; Buschur SS clutch line; Stoptech SS brake lines; rotating the tires; and changing the oil. The Buschur shifter bushings and Autometer boost gauge are already done, so the only thing left (unless I end up getting the Buschur air filter), after all this is the Walboro fuel pump, but I've got to wait for my fuel level to get down before tackling that.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts

Jared
I have my new "race" version of the Magnus motorsports sheet metal intake sitting next to me right now. I almost put it on a month ago when it was in the low 70's outside, but I did not expect another month of bad weather so I put it off until "next week".... then "next week" turned out to be 28 degrees for the high, with snow flurries!

I have been kicking myself for the past month, and now finally may have a chance to put it on :)

Back on topic, if you are planning on a tune to go with it you can't go wrong with the buschur cone filter, if you are not planning on a tune right away don't bother geting ANY filter upgrade until you plan on doing the tune. Also, I don't recomend putting in the fuel pump until you are ready for the tune, it makes you run even richer at WOT than you already do and in some cases (not all) throws a check engine light.

Keith

1 - 20 of 36 Posts