Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to get this new forum going, I'm posting a couple shots of the new Evo X that was on display at MOD 06. We know the new Evo will be potent, but it will likely also have some new features that may push some of the purists away (paddle shifter). Let's get the discussion rolling on the new platform.

Personally I'm not big on the new look, but I usually always take a while to warm up to new designs, especially Mitsu designs. I'm really hoping the performance and potential of the new Evo live up to the current platform and those of past models.

What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I definitely like how it looks, and I'm ok with newfangled changes as long as they work and don't cause malfunctions/problems. My concern is having something new like paddle shifting, then taking it out to use it for its purpose (racing) only to break something that is a manufacturer's defect and being denied warranty coverage based on the racing or modding. This is very likely to happen with the new stuff on the X, so I may wait a year before getting one. The MR would be paid off by then and be a race car, so maybe I can get a X and just use it for daily enjoyment.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm liking the pissed of headlight and tailight combination. The diffuser in the back is cool but I have never been a big fan of dual tips. Not to sure how much of the concept is going to figure into the production version. The big worry is that the Evolution is going after the BMW M3 camp in a more upscale direction hence the paddle shifters. Hopefully it won't end up like the eclipse.:cry:

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
06evors said:
I'm liking the pissed of headlight and tailight combination. The diffuser in the back is cool but I have never been a big fan of dual tips. Not to sure how much of the concept is going to figure into the production version. The big worry is that the Evolution is going after the BMW M3 camp in a more upscale direction hence the paddle shifters. Hopefully it won't end up like the eclipse.:cry:
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. You know what though, the M3 isn't a bad car to compete with. But BMW owns that space. I'm wondering if Mitsu is biting off more than they can chew. Those considering an M3 probably won't go for a EVO X, and yet, those who love the EVO might be turned off by the luxury aspect since the car is more of a 4-door pure sports car right now. We don't need leather and heated seats if it adds weight :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
i also like the new look. it took a while for it to grow on me, but it looks a lot more slippery, not like the winged bricks we have. i liked how the intercooler was blacked out. news has it that the lowly ralliart model is gonna be awd turbo to compete with the wrx. while not being as radical as the evo. Mayhaps a 4g63? just wishful thinking

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Looks all right. Not that the VIII and IX are "wow" cars. It's all going to be up to performance. I'm affraid of the aluminum block and not being able to turn up the boost. :(

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah my main concern was there decision to go with an aluminum block. I want something that can withstand a pounding day in and day out and an aluminum block doesnt generally work out so well. As far as looks go, its cool, not that it really matters. I would buy a g35 or something of that nature if I was in it for the looks. As long as it doesnt scare the ladies away Im ok with it. Im really only concerned with how fast it is, and how well it handles, and the potential it has to greatly increase those properties.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I don't like the look at all. It looks like a 4 door hatch back with the rear of the roof being curved so low, and twin tail pipes on a 4 banger is just retarded. I hate the idea of an aluminum engine instead of the tried and true 4g63, but I can see the new engine growing on me if it turns out to be durable. After all, a factory aluminum engine doesn't have to be weak.... look at the LS1 and up GM motors.

Keith

·
Registered
8 Posts
I want to know more about this "paddle shifting" what the hell is that.
No more 5spd or 6spd manual? forget it....................

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't like it at all. I love the IX. I'm afraid that by the time I get enough for a down payment (December) they won't be available anymore, unless someone knows something I don't and can give me some faith.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thats true, but most if not all of the dealerships around me are really small, and the Evo is an order-only item for them.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
emd645e3 said:
Thats true, but most if not all of the dealerships around me are really small, and the Evo is an order-only item for them.
You can get them to dealer exhange and they can get one from a bigger dealer. there will still be plenty around in december. If not let me know and I will get you one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, I found a bigger dealer not too far away. They have 16 in stock right now, and more to come. I now have to wait until February, but the salesman told me they would have a few left by then, so I'm not worried. More time to save for down payment and to build a tad more credit. :thumb: :dsm:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts