Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Whatsup everyone! One of my first Modifications would be a full exhaust system. What I'm really looking for is a loud sounding exhaust system. I know turbocharged cars are not meant to sound loud compared to a all motor car. But I know there are some out there that sound good! I'm not sure exactly what is the best parts to get because there are alot of choices to combine with the purchase of a exhaust system such as test pipes, downpipes and cats. So far, I've got my mind on the Greddy Evo2 (which I've heard is not that loud but deep), the APEX N1 Catback (I've heard sum loud ones), and last is the AMS exhaust systems (Don't know which one is best). Currently my stock exhaust rumbles during idle and I actually can hear it during low rmps. But during high end acceleration, I don't hear anything at all. Best thing I can think of is to take my time and look around before I make a mistake and buy the wrong one or have to buy a different one. But it'll be a few months before I actually purchase a exhaust system. Any suggestions? What is the most common owned exhaust system? Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
I dont know which exhaust system is more commanly used but I used the buschur exhaust sytem because he is a pruven tuner and his exhaust sytem is 16 pounds lighter than the stock one. The only thing I dont like about his exhaust sytem is that if you use the buschur muffler which is the one I have its a little to loud, but then again you want it loud lol. I made my choice strictly on performance because buschur exhausts in my opinion dont look all that great but give you good numbers and you reduce weight on the car.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
If you want loud Buschur is the path to take. He has developed quieter mufflers over the years for people who don't want their ears to ring after a long trip, so if you order one specify that you want the "old school" buschur muffler on your system.

Keith

·
Registered
107 Posts
If money is no object go with the greddy titanium racing exhaust. That thing is beautiful, light and damn loud. Should fit the bill perfect. Go with a dp/tp and your ears will really ring, but people will know you mean business. Plus being its slightly larger than 3 inch and has no resonators, only a small perforated core muffler, it flows extremely well.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Buschur TBE with the Bullet muffler and test pipe. It looks good, sounds very mean, and it is quite loud. I have it on my car, and it's even louder/meaner than the previous Megan TBE I had.

Your best bet is to not just get the exhaust but to get a whole stage 1 package from Buschur (or whever you make your purchase) that includes the exhaust, mbc, bov, fuel pump, and tune.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i dont see why theres any question about it

evomrguy said:
If money is no object go with the greddy titanium racing exhaust. That thing is beautiful, light and damn loud. Should fit the bill perfect. Go with a dp/tp and your ears will really ring, but people will know you mean business. Plus being its slightly larger than 3 inch and has no resonators, only a small perforated core muffler, it flows extremely well.
he wants something loud - titanium, catless, big dp
something that looks good - the burnt tip on the greddy Ti is a wonderful looking thing right there
oh, and what does the Ti weigh, like 8 lbs? i know for a fact the BR cat back isnt light, especially that light, because i have it.

im going with shaun on this one, dp with a catless greddy Ti. loud with great looks

·
Registered
44 Posts
rammsteinmatt said:
i dont see why theres any question about it

he wants something loud - titanium, catless, big dp
something that looks good - the burnt tip on the greddy Ti is a wonderful looking thing right there
oh, and what does the Ti weigh, like 8 lbs? i know for a fact the BR cat back isnt light, especially that light, because i have it.

im going with shaun on this one, dp with a catless greddy Ti. loud with great looks

:thumb:

·
Registered
92 Posts
It sounds like you want to turn heads...so I would get the WARRTALON stg1 from Buschur and get the bullet and the test pipe....its freakin thoaty and freakin LOUD!! Dude you will turn heads on the street and people in there cars...trust me!!!

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
rammsteinmatt said:
I agree that a Ti exhaust meets his criteria, but did he also say that cost is not a factor? Those Ti exhausts are very loud, they do look neat until they get dirty, and they are very light. However, the cat-back alone costs more than most full turbobacks, and if you try to get a titanium TBE, then you're paying more for an exhaust that makes no extra power as you would for an entire stg1 package with mbc/gauge/tune making double the power (or more).

The catless BR TBE with Bullet muffler is plenty loud, very mean, and it looks nice. When I switched from my Megan, which sounded ok but not great, I couldn't believe the difference with the BR. I don't really care about sound OR looks, but I caught myself stopping and listening at how throaty and growly it was. It's far better than the Megan in terms of sound and weighs a FULL 10.0 lbs less. Yes, the BR cat-back is not as light as a Ti cat-back, but there was a magazine that tested/rated 10 cat-backs, and the BR was only 2 lbs heavier than the Magnaflow Ti. It's pretty damn light, especially with the new Bullet muffler...

·
Registered
107 Posts
You do have your points warrtalon. The ti is expensive, you will get more dollar per hp by doing your staged package. However I couldnt disagree with you more about the look of the buschur exhaust. That thing is hideous, it looks like it was made at the local muffler shop by the apprentice there. And have you heard some of the high end exhausts? The ti is wonderful sounding, the buschur sounds like a honda. Matt being one of them Ive heard as well as a few other socal guys. I think you are not reading into what the guy wants, you are trying to suggest performance as #1. Whereas the question asked is about the look and sound of the exhaust, not performance. If cost is a factor you can go with the apexi gt exhaust, its loud and looks good out the back of the car, yet its much more cost effective. However he never mentioned cost being a factor, so if you have the cash go with the ti. Its about as loud and as stunna as you can get on an evo. You team that with a 3"tp/dp combo and your running only one foot and a half resonator with the rest of your piping wide open, titanium resonates more than steel, its loud. It will make people in other cars feel your exhaust rumble in there chest.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I was suggesting performance with no lack of sounds and looks all at a good price. I don't know if you're talking about the same BR TBE that I'm talking about, but the Bullet muffler looks great. It's nothing like that POS Magnaflow muffler they sell to people who insist on keeping it quiet. It also sounds awesome. Comparing the mean, lopey growl of my exhaust to a Honda is pure tomfoolery. Maybe it's all perspective, but if you heard my car and said it sounded like a Honda, I'd like at you like you were an alien or something. And remember, I didn't and don't care about sound or looks. BR wanted me to run his exhaust instead of the Megan, so I slapped it on. The immediate improvement in sound was obvious even though I wasn't even looking for it.

In the end, if he REALLY only cares about the cosmetic parts of the exhaust, even though you can only see the muffler and tip, then a titanium exhaust may be his style. I cannot personally understand how that would be possible for an Evo owner, but then again I'm pretty narrowminded.

·
Registered
92 Posts
come on evomrguy are you serious?...I had a Integra GSR with a Tanabe Super Racing Medallion... 107 db at idle... Now I have the Bullet and test pipe... There is no freakin way the Buschur sounds like a Honda!! NO........ WAY!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
im the matt that evomrguy is referring to.

at our local meets most have the greddy Ti. i have a BR catback, with HFC, and HKS 2.75 dp connected to a HKS GT turbo. ive driven with both the magnaflow and the BR racing muffler, and to be honest going to the meets im embarrassed to start my car.

addmittedly there isnt a huge problem cause we're all cool at the meets, and ive got a real big turbo hanging off my motor that most there dont, along with some 272s destroying any smooth idle in case there was any doubt.

back to the exhaust....
it aint pretty, ive worked on it for a week or so, and made a trip to RRE, and the damn thing still leaks. sure its throaty and deep, but when im in high RPMS off boost its real honda. that damned buzzing and wwwwaaaaaahhhhhhh sound. i dunno how it is in the east coast and fly-over country. but in CA that is flat out rice.

i'll put up with it though because it allegedly makes the most power of a non Ti system, and i really cant afford a Ti exhaust. but you can believe me, i'll be hanging my head in shame

oh and please write back your comments about how BR exhausts never leak an im a fking moron that cant install an exhaust correctly because we all bow down to BR and they never fault. um lets see, its a pipe with some bolts and a couple gaskets. yea, i can design airplanes and put my turbo in, but this exhaust thing, i just cant get it together............thats right. its just the concept of a piece of metal, in a circle shape that allows for the evacuation of high temperature and pressure toxic gasses to a safer location, im completely baffled.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
rammsteinmatt said:
oh and please write back your comments about how BR exhausts never leak an im a fking moron that cant install an exhaust correctly because we all bow down to BR and they never fault. um lets see, its a pipe with some bolts and a couple gaskets. yea, i can design airplanes and put my turbo in, but this exhaust thing, i just cant get it together............thats right. its just the concept of a piece of metal, in a circle shape that allows for the evacuation of high temperature and pressure toxic gasses to a safer location, im completely baffled.
There was no need to get ugly like this. Keep it civil.

Yes, mine does not leak at all and has no reason to leak. Sorry that yours does, but I have no idea why you'd hang your head in shame based on an exhaust. I have no idea how you are at high RPM without boosting either, so maybe that's why I've never heard this so-called "rice" sound. I'm the most anti-rice person you'll ever meet, so if there was even a hint of it on my car or in my exhaust, I would have nothing to do with it. The BR exhaust has to be the MOST non-rice thing in the entire Evo community. It's Ti exhausts that cost a lot, "look" nice, and make a lot of noise without making any extra power that I consider "rice." If anyone should hang their heads in shame, it's those people you're referring to who have slower cars. I spent $925 to go 12.000 in the 1/4-mile with basic mods, and since a Ti cat-back costs about that much and gets an Evo nowhere near 12.000, I can pretty much flip that "rice" comment, imo.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Warrtalon said:
I have no idea how you are at high RPM without boosting either, so maybe that's why I've never heard this so-called "rice" sound.
just give the car like 25% throttle in lower gears and it'll go to redline without making boost (mine stays around 100-200 mmHg vacuum all the way up). 5th gear no way, any throttle input above 3k will make boost. perhaps i am not calling it correctly, im referring to being lower than 0 psi at the intake manifold (under vacuum). understandably the turbo is always creating boost pressure, even at idle, but its still at 500 mmHg vacuum. not boosting in my book

im gonna tighten everything one more time and see if it still leaks. but since you say you have no leaks maybe you can answer me this: how do you get your V band clamps to not leak?

cause theres the looped band, then it bends to the bracket thingy where the two bolts are. right at that corner on both clamps, i cant seem to get a tight enough seal and it leaks right there. i'll upload a picture in a sec

you can see all the carbon from the exhaust leak, and where it leaks on the clamp

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
First off, you do not have a V-band exhaust, you have a slip fit exhaust where the smaller pipe slips inside the larger pipe and then the band clamp is applied. If your pipes are just butted up against each other that will cuase fitment problems as well as exhaust leaks.

You should be able to tighten it down so that the two metal blocks are touching firm on the narrow side of the joint, and just barely touching on the wide side of the joint... looks like you have a substantial gap there.

Is there any dent in the joint area of either of the pipe sections? That also could lead to a leak.

If all else fails, take the clamp off and apply some sealent (muffler mud for example) to the joint area and then put the clamp back on.

Keith

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do we really have to use our 1/4 mile times as a benchmark for how fast you can be? What is this ls1 tech? Its an evo, use track times, or before and after dyno numbers, I beg of you. Evos arent 1/4 mile cars. Ok so Ive got that off my chest.

Now we dont really have any extra crappy evo brands to use as the example but for example I could put on an apc intake on my honda and make the same power as the aem one it copys, but I would be damn embarassed to say that was on my car. Even though it makes as much power as the expensive aem one. That sounds alot like what you were describing warr. Would you run apc parts on your car if you could make the same power as you have now for alot less $? I doubt it, sometimes we have to draw a line. I and just about everyone in socal thinks the buschur looks like a muffler shop weekday special and I would be emabarassed to have the one mod everyone can see look like that on my $30k+ car. Is it rice to want to keep your car looking good? I dont think so. I dont think were really guilty of rice on either side of this argument, unless your running vinyl and neons though. I have heard, as I stated before, a few buschur exhausts on cars. My ti and others that have the ti's at our meets are much bassier and have a much deeper rumble than the buschur. Yet the buschur has a higher pitched sound I more associate to hondas. Between a car with a ti and the buschur, I give the annoyance nod to the buschur. That thing is not something I would want to listen to day in and day out, especially on a freeway cruise. Have you gotten to ride around in a car with a diff. exhaust than yours? Or do you mainly hang with the buschur boys and then dont tend to see some variety? That way maybe you would understand more what Im saying. I didnt mean to make this a buschur vs ti exhausts argument, hijacking this thread wasnt my intention, my intention had been to give some useful advice relevant to what the original post was asking, but I want you to see where I come from.

And yes matt, your exhaust sounds freakin terrible and does not look good. I think everyone that has heard his can attest to this. But dont be embarassed matt, remember Ive driven your car, its fast. Besides the funny looking nascar lip detracts from the funny looking exhaust so it kinda balances out. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I don't actually hang out with any "Buschur boys" and didn't even get my BR exhaust until recently when Dave asked me to switch from my previous exhaust. Regardless, it's hard to go anywhere without encountering Evos with BR parts (specifically the TBE), because they are so highly regarded in the Evo/DSM community, and the exhaust is one of the most powerful and proven exhausts without being ridiculously expensive for no reason related to performance. No, I do not draw any correlation between a Buschur part and an APC part. To do so is complete blasphemy. Does APC as a company have tons and tons of fast cars out there all sporting their parts? Did APC put the first Evo into the 8s? How about the first DSM into the 10s, 9s, 8s, and 7s or whatever? No, there is no correlation whatsoever.

It's fine to like the look of a titanium exhaust or like the sound, but to sit here and tell me that a Buschur exhaust is more like getting an APC and that it's embarassing is quite frankly an embarassMENT to the Evo community itself. A titanium exhaust does nothing except to save 8-10lbs in an area where cutting weight is not as valuable (we need the rear weight more than front weight), and for the cost, the weight savings is extremely low. It makes sense on autocross cars in SCCA AS or circuit cars in SCCA T2, because they can only use cat-backs and want to save weight wherever they can legally. Otherwise, it's just cosmetics to seem cool in front of your Evo buddies for a large price tag.

I use 1/4-mile reference, because it's a direct measurement everyone can use. Do you want my track times at PMI or La Junta? I doubt those would do anything for you, but since you requested it, my best lap at PMI is 1:45.5, and my best lap at La Junta is 0:58.3. The 1:45.5 was the fastest lap of any car for the whole 2-day NASA event, including all classes, although it wasn't a large event due to the region being new. In my first year of auto-x (this year), I have finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 1st, and 2nd in 6 events within SM class while on stock suspension, stock rims, stock-size r-comps, and stock brakes. And yes, my total spent on power mods is still less than a full titanium exhaust. I do not feel embarassed of my exhaust when I destroy people with Titanium exhausts while participating in 3 different types of racing.

In the end, getting a titanium exhaust is fine if you have the money to burn and wouldn't rather gain twice the WHP for the same price, but for those of us with monetary limits and more concern with performance than what our snobby friends think, the Buschur TBE is great (as well as many other SS exhausts that aren't made of titanium and ridiculously expensive). Btw, my first exhaust was made by Megan that cost me $350 and was very fast but didn't sound as good as the BR. The BR sounds much meaner and has not even a remote resemblance to anything high-pitched or any Honda I've ever heard. I've also never heard any high-pitched exhausts on ANY EVO, much less one with a BR TBE, so this leads me to believe you guys have just had a bad experience or just don't like Buschur.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with war the buschur exhaust is no where near ricer, it is a little loud and seem like it was built kinda cheap in a sense because it came with clamps but like warr said cost to horspower ratio can't be beat. My exhaust dont leak at all it just seems you didn't install it right, or got a defective one shi# hapens. Why would you worry about the way it was maid, as long as it serves its perpuse and gives you good horsepower numbers. To worry about what your friends think about how your exhaust sounds is a bit more child like and more ricer than wanting the exhaust that is pruven to get some of the best horspower numbers, not to mention with a cheaper sticker price. That is dumb to say evo's are not for 1/4 mile because people use many cars for the quarter mile srt-4's, diesel trucks, honda's and so on, you see people use there cars for whatever they want just like buschur has simce 1991, and he's runing 8 sec. quarter miles, sure this cars are great handling cars but they can be used for 1/4 mile to. Any exhaust you like and prefer is ok but just remember dont base your options on what other people think and want because there is always going to be someone that's going to disagree.

I don't like to put a specific car brand as an example but i have a group of friends that drive hondas and what they mainly worry about is what exhaust they have,what rims, lip kits and so on, they don't put much into performance besides an exhaust and intake which falls into the category of looks because they worry about what people think of their cars,and make them look fast. They would rather have an exhaust thats apealing to the eye which letes say cost 650 rather than an exhaust that looks ok but gives the most power and costs $ 400. I got my evo because I am into performance like many people here, sure I want my car to look good but I believe me they look good already. I would rather not be to flashy, but when people see my car run say dame I wouldnt think he was that fast , it would be unexpected. I think if you look flashy and fast you beter be able to back it up, but this is just my opinion.

That coment about hondas don't get offended not every honda is like that, many are fast, its just an example that I have because some of my friends are like that which there is nothing wrong with it everyone has their own views and opinions .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts