Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after talking about getting a new turbo and all the support mods the time has finally came and I figured I would post my plan here so I could get suggestions from fellow members so I can be sure I am making the right choice.

Here is a list of parts I am going with,

AMS 50 Trim Turbo
AMS FMIC (Street Core)
AMS UICP
AMS Fuel Rail
780cc Injectors ----- Suggestions on which company...???
Perrin water injection system
Head Studs ----- Suggestions on which company...???
GSC Stage 2 Cams
Exedy Twin HD Cerametallic clutch.

This should be interesting since no one in the Rocky Mountain region is running this turbo yet that I am aware of. I am looking to run around 25-26 pounds of boost with Meth/Alky injection.

Like I said if anyone has any input in this please do as I want to make this project as successful and as "complete" as possible to insure I am not taking the wrong path.

Also Justin I need to get with you on making a plan for installs and tuning! I had met you at the meeting sunday through Clayton.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
It all looks good to me. Only input I have is:

- Consider a larger FMIC than the street core
- Head studs = ARP
- Be sure that's a Perrin ALKY or METH injection system - you won't be doing water injection
- Use whatever injectors AMS sells and/or recommends. Also, consider 880s
- Don't need the fuel rail - another local Evo runs 1000cc injectors on his Apexi RX6 turbo on the stock fuel rail. I know, because I helped him install the injectors in the parking lot, hah.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No fuel rail? Sounds great to me just another $200 to save and put else where so thank you! And 880's just in case I decide to run race gas correct? Yes I am going with meth/ alky injection that was just a poor choice of description. Suggestions on a good bov? I know the stocker is out due to the new intake tube and uicp.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It all looks good to me. Only input I have is:

- Don't need the fuel rail - another local Evo runs 1000cc injectors on his Apexi RX6 turbo on the stock fuel rail. I know, because I helped him install the injectors in the parking lot, hah.

I'm gonna interject on this suggestion. This is a crap shoot when running injectors 880cc and above only because you could run into "injector pulse." With the 780cc and below, you shouldn't need the rail.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't consider it a crap shoot. Many, many Evos run 880s and 1000s with the stock rail, but you do have to tune it properly and be aware of any potential issues.

For the guys that do run the stock rail, they are also probably using injectors far bigger than they need to be and scaling them down low as well. Essentially, the only reasons they have the size injectors they do is in case they want to go with a more horsepower producing motor setup than they currently have or because they want to have that extra insurance of having enough fuel on demand, which is where you were going with your initial suggestion (I think.). A friend of mine is using 1600cc injectors (which absolutely requires a fuel rail) for this very reason.
Injector pulse really becomes an issue on the stock rail when hitting the higher duty cycles on large injectors. Essentially, when your trying to use lager injectors to their full potential depending on what you're trying to accomplish, the stock rail creates a "bottleneck" which slows down the amount of fuel being delivered to all the injectors and thus causing the "pulse."
Make no mistake, the stock fuel lines can support ample fuel demands. So too can the rail and fpr. What I'm trying to say is that by my preference, If I were considering using injectors in the 800cc+ territory, this is why I'd swap the fuel rail.

Other than that, I see no problem with the setup suggestions so far. Should be a fun setup.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
You are probably right in most cases, but the one example I gave was a pretty large Apexi turbo, and he's making 450whp up here on the Dyno Dynamics at RP in the Springs. I made 300whp on that same dyno, and he has trapped 120+ at PMI. That's GT35R range almost when you consider the altitude...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it is something to consider but honestly if it is a safer way to go then its worth the extra $200 but if not I won't bother.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You're buying from AMS, who has LOADS of evo building experience. Ask them what they recommend and why. You also already have mine and Warrtalon's info to suport your decision as well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right and thats why instead of asking "AMS" what they think I should run as far as products I ask you guys because of course someone is going to support their own products.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I'm gonna interject on this suggestion. This is a crap shoot when running injectors 880cc and above only because you could run into "injector pulse." With the 780cc and below, you shouldn't need the rail.
I have been running 1000's for a couple years now on the stock fuel rail with no problems.

Keith

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
For the guys that do run the stock rail, they are also probably using injectors far bigger than they need to be and scaling them down low as well. Essentially, the only reasons they have the size injectors they do is in case they want to go with a more horsepower producing motor setup than they currently have or because they want to have that extra insurance of having enough fuel on demand, which is where you were going with your initial suggestion (I think.). A friend of mine is using 1600cc injectors (which absolutely requires a fuel rail) for this very reason.
Injector pulse really becomes an issue on the stock rail when hitting the higher duty cycles on large injectors. Essentially, when your trying to use lager injectors to their full potential depending on what you're trying to accomplish, the stock rail creates a "bottleneck" which slows down the amount of fuel being delivered to all the injectors and thus causing the "pulse."
Make no mistake, the stock fuel lines can support ample fuel demands. So too can the rail and fpr. What I'm trying to say is that by my preference, If I were considering using injectors in the 800cc+ territory, this is why I'd swap the fuel rail.

Other than that, I see no problem with the setup suggestions so far. Should be a fun setup.

Where are you getting your info? I am running 1000's on E-85 and my injectors are pushing close to 100% duty cycle with no issues.

Keith

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Update

Just wanted to give a quick update on ordered parts.

Ordered so far,

AMS 780 cc injectors
AMS FMIC
AMS Fuel Rail
ARP Head Studs
HKS EVC 6
Exedy Twin HD Cerametallic
Innovate X-16 Wideband 52mm
GSC S1 Cams
Nisei UICP
Nisei Mini Battery Kit
Advan RS 18 x 9 + 29 in dark gun metallic
Bridgestone RE-01R 245 40 R18
JDM IX Bumper
Changed my mind on meth kit.... going with Aquamist HFS-5 meth/alky

Still to order,

AMS 50 Trim Kit.
Buddy Club or Apexi N1 ExV Coilover. Anyone wating to suggest a set please do.
Unorthadox Cam Gear
SS Clutch Line
Motor Mounts.... Not sure if I will do this or not.

Thats about it. I have the install and tuning setup with Justin (justdsm) for around the 2nd or 3rd week in May.

Questions comments suggestion--- please put in you input.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
- I still see no need for the fuel rail
- go with 880s
- Nesei = Nisei :p
- Apexi or Buddy Club coilovers!!! Please provid reasoning for these choices :p
- Unorthodox cam GEAR? Eh? No.
- Front motor mount is a great choice - the others are nominal

Pwnage on the rest. Just upgrade your brake system with at least some performance pads, SS brake lines, and upgraded fluid.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fuel rail... Eh I know not needed but I did want "some" show with my go, personal choice there.

Apexi comes very recommended for $1200.00 after this build I am personaly not in any mood to spend 2k on coilovers. Please recommend something if you don't agree. I have no experience with coilovers yet need them for the rims and tires.

Unorthodox came recomended from Justin.

Yes Nisei not Nesei (F I never get that right)

Other than that I will do some upgrades on my brakes after I recover from the raping I have provided to my bank account.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Very recommended by whom? I don't see any Evo racers or suspension gurus recommending those.

If you want to stay entry level, then I recommend the Megan Street or Track coils (your choice). Both are about $750 but with plenty of adjustability and damping. You'd then just want to get them corner balanced and aligned at 3R in the Denver area.

Unorthodox as a brand I'm not objecting to...it's the fact you said cam GEAR. You plan to get one cam gear just on the exhaust side? That is not typically done on IXs. Does he have a specific plan for adjusting the cam timing on the exhaust side manually while adjusting the intake cam timing through the MIVEC?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts